Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 AM

314 posts, read 490,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hew2a View Post
Apologies for somewhat straying from the subject. But I've been wanting to move to NYC for a while now. My dad lived there for 15 years and I visit friends and fam on a regular. It seems to me that this "yuppie" invasion is changing the landscape of the city. I mean, not just with the new buildings, etc. but just the basic "flavor" (if that describes it) of the city. It seems many move from the mid-west or wherever and come with an "idea of New York" that they wish to experience and try to force upon the city or where they live.

I say this because a previous remark about people living in a bubble is something I've been explaining to people and they don't seem to understand.

What are your general feelings towards this influx of "young professionals/students/whtever" who are coming to NYC and populating areas that they wouldn't step foot in if they "really knew" what was up. Or has this always been the case since NYC is such an international magnet? It just seems that in the past 10 years or so, it's gone to a whole other level. Do you feel the "real New York" is getting lost? Or does it even matter?
i can't stand them. i dare say that i would turn a blind eye to one of them getting jacked. hahhaahaa....imagine, 'stop snitchin' turned against outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:05 AM

435 posts, read 1,519,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i can't stand them. i dare say that i would turn a blind eye to one of them getting jacked. hahhaahaa....imagine, 'stop snitchin' turned against outsiders.

Good, that's exactly the type of crime that would trigger any middle-class and above person to leave the five boroughs overnight. Can you say 300 sq miles of Bushwick? Ass...

Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 AM

235 posts, read 1,084,576 times
Quote:
On a side note, one thing people are forgetting to mention, is that when gentrification happens and higher income people move in, the level of police service improves in those particular areas.
Genuinely quiet and safe areas don't get better police protection, they just generate a LOT LESS work for the cops. Harlem is not quiet or safe. Some areas are better than others, and the whole area is better than it was 15 yrs ago, but there is still a lot of Low-Income housing in Harlem. Many of those people are good people, but many will also end up in gangs, selling/doing drugs, mugging people, etc...

If and when a new drug hits the street like crack did in the 80's, there will be A LOT of people who wished they hadn't spent $1 mil+on a Harlem Brownstone. The more white people that move up there, the more likely it is that it will be a white baby catching a stray bullet intead of a black or Hispanic baby. I know this sounds cruel and insensitive, but this is the reality of high crime areas.

Check out this website:

Gothamist Labs: Map (http://gothamist.com/labs/map - broken link)

As of yesterday, about 1PM, there had been about ten shootings, two stabbings and two homicides since 10PM thurs. nite., including 1 murder in Harlem and two shootings in Harlem.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM

435 posts, read 1,519,220 times
/\ Weekends are always busy like that. I always felt it was stupid of the NYPD not to consider having a "Nite/Weekend" police corps. The overtime to be had would be great for the cops, and it would put more feet-on-the-street during the hours that it's needed.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,787,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
/\ Weekends are always busy like that. I always felt it was stupid of the NYPD not to consider having a "Nite/Weekend" police corps. The overtime to be had would be great for the cops, and it would put more feet-on-the-street during the hours that it's needed.
It's more like summers are busy. But yeah right. Overtime is great to a limit. If you live off it like most cops you have no life but work. Stresses you out too. Plus they won't authorize the overtime, AND there is no manpower.

SouthQueens149 is very correct expecting a new drug. There is a very good chance a modified version of Meth can hit the inner city streets hard. Or any drug can come out of nowhere. A crime wave is inevitable. We are already seeing the signs nationwide.

Personally I think the next wave is coming due to aggression. A lot more killings and serious assualts over petty disputes.

As for yuppies destroying the culture in NYC. Your damn right.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:37 AM

314 posts, read 490,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Good, that's exactly the type of crime that would trigger any middle-class and above person to leave the five boroughs overnight. Can you say 300 sq miles of Bushwick? Ass...
dude, it was merely a funny thought, not a call to civil disobedience. wake up

Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
If you had to move uptown, I'd either choose to live in Morningside Heights or Hudson Heights. But stay within those boundaries or you can run into trouble.
First off , Morningside Heights only exists because Columbia University named the four block radius "Morningside Heights" so that their students and parents would not be terrified if they knew that in REALITY thats HARLEM. you step four blocks away from Columbias campus (heading uptown) and there are public housing communitites, come on. In addition , Hudson Heights was also invented to avoid the stigma of Washington Heights which is perdominantly Latino. These are all frames, lets get real , before you give advice educate yourself on the the topic.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:47 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,347,600 times
Yeah but the "Hudson Heights" area or Western Washington Heights, or whatever you want to call it is a nice area. This is unlike any other area in Northern Manhattan or the South Bronx for at least 30-40 blocks. I wouldn't mind living in Hudson Heights if I could afford the $1,500 a month rent for a 1br.

Morningside Heights was also always a little bit different from the rest of Harlem. George Carlin, the comedian, is originally from that neighborhood and did a skit about calling his neighborhood "white harlem" back when he was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: