Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:08 PM

239 posts, read 305,966 times

Advertisements

I try to avoid using the subway, but I used it today and wow the stations look so nasty and run-down compared to ones in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore even London. For all New York's greatness, the subway stations are anything but that. The city should be ashamed of itself!

The stations look so dark and grimy, in Asia it's so bright! And clean! And some brown liquid dripped from the ceiling onto my $11,000 Gucci coat and I was so disgusted.

Today reminded me of why I never go down there and as a concerned New Yorker I ask, will the stations ever be completely redone and modernized?

Last edited by HAC NY; 02-03-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Move to one of the cities you mentioned. Problem solved.

Don't expect the city to change for you.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
I try to avoid using the subway, but I used it today and wow the stations look so nasty and run-down compared to ones in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore even London. For all New York's greatness, the subway stations are anything but that. The city should be ashamed of itself!

The stations look so dark grimy, in Asia it's so bright! And clean! And some brown liquid dripped from the ceiling onto my $11,000 Gucci coat and I was so disgusted.

Today reminded me of why I never go down there and as a concerned New Yorker I ask, will the stations ever be completely redone and modernized?
An indian guy once told me nyc best subway station looks like mumbais worst station. My brother once visited copenhagen and their subways are so clean you can eat off it. Nyc subway system is just as ny as it can get. Moderator cut: Inappropriate language

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,838 times
Quote:

The stations look so dark grimy, in Asia it's so bright! And clean! And some brown liquid dripped from the ceiling onto my $11,000 Gucci coat and I was so disgusted.

Do you hear yourself?? you wear 11 grand gucci coat, and you ride the subway? that makes no sense? I'm surprised no one has jacked your coat. hahahahaha!!! subways always gunna stay grimy.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,257 times
Quote:

The stations look so dark and grimy, in Asia it's so bright! And clean! And some brown liquid dripped from the ceiling onto my $11,000 Gucci coat and I was so disgusted.

New Yorker?

I thought you said you were born and raised in Florida?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:

the subways in new york city are being redone as you speak. They started doing the lines by my house for a year now.

most of the planning is going outside of Manhattan.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Lol $11K Gucci coat! I'm happy you got "a little NY on you" lol

Agreed with the other posters...move and gtfo if you don't like it. I stopped reading when you said $11K Gucci coat. Why are you even taking the train...shouldn't you be showboating around in your Bentley?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Most of the stations on the 2 line in The Bronx have been completely redone in the last 5 years or so.
Maybe you should move to the Bronx where there are nice,clean,modern stations.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
yea agreed with bluedogs. Seems like the MTA is cleaning up and redoing the subways out of the other boroughs first because they are easier to maintain, they aren't huge stations/terminals like in Manhattan and most importantly no where near as crowded.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:50 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
yea agreed with bluedogs. Seems like the MTA is cleaning up and redoing the subways out of the other boroughs first because they are easier to maintain, they aren't huge stations/terminals like in Manhattan and most importantly no where near as crowded.
I disagree, even the stations that are being rebuild suck big time. The only station I saw that was up to the international standard was the Coney Island/Stillwell terminal building they completed in 2005. I am not even talking about the stations in Manhattan that are downright horrible and hands down the worst subway stations in the world.

After you ride a subway where stations look like this NYC stations won't be looking so hot.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2534/...62acfb1b39.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/...4a4fd5e960.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1233/...46d42ff941.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 04-04-2011 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City