Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,043 times

Advertisements

Weeeeeeee!!!!! I love Walmart , . But nobody.complains about Kmart? Is almost the same. Bringing walmart to NY will fix a lot of unemployment issues , plus standard price in the markets . The only problem the city will take what is for them convinience .... Taxes ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,161,920 times
My real concern is how they integrate this development into the neighborhood. We don't need a suburban style big box store surrounded by a large parking lot. Mass transit access is key, they real dropped the ball on a few of these developments across the city (i.e. Home Depo in the Castle Hill section of the Bronx). Hopefully it will be similar to this Harris Teeter.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
My real concern is how they integrate this development into the neighborhood. We don't need a suburban style big box store surrounded by a large parking lot. Mass transit access is key, they real dropped the ball on a few of these developments across the city (i.e. Home Depo in the Castle Hill section of the Bronx). Hopefully it will be similar to this Harris Teeter.
Exactly... what is needed is an immense Wallmart and a small parking lot sitting atop a subway stop. (They could call the station SAM'S STOP)

They were faily sensible with the COSTCO-TARGET complex on 117th and East River...it is a block away from the frequently running SELECT or LOCAL M15 bus running up First Ave..
The BJ's complex in the BRONX is not so conveniently placed.

In Home Depot's defense, you cannot get too much better placement than across the street from BLOOMINGALES or down on 23rd and Sixth...both geared 100% to non-driving shoppers.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:48 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,536,289 times
I want walmart !!!!!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,344,300 times
Actually I think the BJs (aka Gateway Mall) is far more conveniently placed than East River Plaza on 116. The Gateway Mall has a MetroNorth stop a couple blocks away, several bus lines into Manhattan and across the Bronx, as well as the Express 2/4/5 trains a couple blocks away. Plus you can easily get on and off the highway to access the Mall...how exactly do you access East River Plaza traveling northbound on the FDR? There is no exit nor markers to show you how to get there!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Quote:
The Gateway Mall has a MetroNorth stop a couple blocks away,
It really isn't "a couple blocks away"..it's a LOT farther...I know, I walked it from the 149th St. subway last month. If it were closer, I would choose BJ's over COSTCO becasue the prices are similar and only BJ's carries the MichaelAngelo brand of frozen products that I LOVE (the Chicken Piccatta is far better than most Italian Restaurants.) Getting back to the train I searched for buses and everyone told me, sorry, outta luck. WHY they don't send a bus up that large fronting street (Grand Ave???) I'll never know.

East River Plaza is pretty much foot traffic, as it should be, so it might be more of a hassle for those zooming up the FDR in a Lexus. Those with cars can go to better BJ's and better COSTCO's in NJ.

But if one is deperate for access from the FDR I suppose exits at either 102nd or 125th will fill the bill and then up or down a half mile will do the trick to get to 117th? I'd hate to think EVERY store available in Manhattan had a sign or an exit on the FDR...it would look worse than Times Square. The TARGET is also a big plus for East River. Access for Manhattanites driving up First Avenue is a piece of cake although I'm not sure what they charge for parking.
I will grant that if one wants only a subway, the walk from 116th and Lex is as bad as the walk from 149th in the Bronx.
The Second Avenue Line, if and when, will enhance the East River Plaza.

But I agree with NYKIDDO here...these mega stores should be matched to mass transit access in NYC, that's the way we travel...leave the mega-parking lots and traffic jams to AKRON and PEORIA.

Last edited by Kefir King; 10-15-2011 at 06:15 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,542,086 times
I'm a HUGE Walmart fan and honestly I'm getting tired of driving to NJ (b4 it was white plains) to go get a bang for my buck on food shopping and other household items (especially when u have a baby)

I think bringing Walmart to NYC will be a good idea
.. I do online shopping too and walmart is #1 on my bookmarks... I think it will create jobs and I will def think about venturing into retail or some aspect of working for walmart if they come into NYC. Also, I agree with omigawd about how other retailers even non retailers treat or underpay their employees... I was shocked to find out macys paid just a tad bit over min wage for their sales associates (WTH?!) This store being soo fancy and all can't afford to pay a lil more? I'm all for walmart in NYC!!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:50 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,776,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post
I live near the Queens/Nassau border on the Queens side and I am about 5 minutes away from the Valley Stream Walmart. Most (huge percentage) of the customers at the Valley Stream store are actually from Queens and Brooklyn. This has caused this Walmart to endure the negativity it has received. The unfortunate death of the worker on Black Friday was caused by this crowd -- how much of a savage can you be for something that is 97 cents. Now I know I am going to get some flack on this, but go to any of the Wal-marts further out on Long Island away from Queens and Brooklyn and you will see a huge difference in the customer base.

Please let them open the store in Brooklyn so these clowns can stop coming to my neighborhood and ruining it. Like it or not, but the truth is the truth. It is to the point where the people that live near the Valley Stream store on both the Eastern Queens and Western Nassau sides won't even go there, we rather drive to the Westbury or Massapequa Wal-marts. I will probably get some flack on this too, from the Eastern Queens/Western Nassau people, for giving away our secret locations.

Besides, the opening of the Brooklyn store would keep their tax dollars in NYC and would provide jobs as well.

This thread is too long for me to read but this comment struck a chord with me because I thought my husband and I were the only weird ones who drove to Westbury or Farmingdale to access Walmart even though the Valley Stream Walmart is 15 min from us. The fact is, I avoid all the stores at Green Acres because 9 times out of 10, my shopping experience there is terrible because of the demographics. I had the unfortunate luck of going to that Walmart a few weeks ago because I needed something quickly and the ghetto-ness of the customers pushing me and shoving me in the aisles just to get their items completely turned me off..For that reason, I avoid all those stores like the plague.

I hope Walmart comes to NYC, I can think of a few locations in Queens where it will do a lot of good. I think the whole argument about Walmart destroying mom and pop stores is bogus, its basic competition..if another business offers lower prices - then guess what, customers are going to go there - regardless of whether its Costco, Walmart, BJs or a 99 cents no name store. Business is business. NYC needs to get w/ the program.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,299,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It really isn't "a couple blocks away"..it's a LOT farther...I know, I walked it from the 149th St. subway last month. If it were closer, I would choose BJ's over COSTCO becasue the prices are similar and only BJ's carries the MichaelAngelo brand of frozen products that I LOVE (the Chicken Piccatta is far better than most Italian Restaurants.) Getting back to the train I searched for buses and everyone told me, sorry, outta luck. WHY they don't send a bus up that large fronting street (Grand Ave???) I'll never know.
You could visit the BJs in Jersey City, its not far from the Grove St path station (or Newport depending on how you want to walk there).

Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
Default lets have wal mart

How about a huge project for walmart build right on 5th avenue and 59th , right by the Park?
[url=http://www.newyorkrealestatenews.org]NEW YORK REAL ESTATE NEWS[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City