Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 06:39 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
New yorkers actually making a case for wal-mart.......freaking wal-mart. 2012 is approaching.
Seriously? What did Wal-Mart do to you personally? Made your favorite bodega go bankrupt? Cry me a river.

The Wal-Mart in Valley Stream is always crowded. Surely they must be doing something right to attract so many customers? Or maybe they are being drugged and forced to shop there against their will?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM

769 posts, read 2,050,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
Winn Dixie was one of those store that had a stangehold on some of the markets in the south along with Kugers and Piggy Wiggly stores and they learned there lesson about how they treated there long term customer base in the south and they bought it down on there own heads by doing the whole i will not bargin price shop for products in there store and they had a stangehold on most of the small south towns with the way they handle the smaller markets in the rural south food markets ..

Now if you go into the Piggly Wigglys or Kruger's food stores in the south they know that they have to keep there prices low so the local market area will shop at them ..

Treat your customer base right and they will shop at you Treat you customer base like crap and they will not come back and that what happened to alot of the stores in the south and out west ..

Smith food and drug parent company Fred's Meyer's and Krugers merged there stores and you saw a better customer service that the Kruger's brand hand from the people who shopped at store in the east now where comeing into the stores..

Basha's has a full service meat dept along with Fry''s food and drug stores haveing a meat dept to cutting up the meat you wanted .. Bashas' has t-bone steaks $3.97 a pound and 12 pack of pepsi for $2.50 a 12.pack ..

When iam liveing in Az i stay next to a Bashas' and i shoped there all the time because i did not need to get into a car and drive in the heat along with the Bashas' would match the sale price on other stores products if you asked only going to down to the Fry''s on the corner down the block when i need to get to the bank there inside the store ..
What are you even saying? What does Walmart know about customer service or treating people right? Have you not been reading the posts about the lack of cashiers and ridiculous lines? Please...

Walmart's low prices have nothing to do with how much they care or do not care about customers, it's about them squeezing their suppliers out of every last dime they have in order to beat their competitor's prices.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 PM

185 posts, read 647,741 times
The black congressman made me want to rip my hair out. I forget his name but he said regarding walmart 'we won't be your slaves to work in you plantation'. This black girl wanted to stuff 10 socks in his mouth.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
What are you even saying? What does Walmart know about customer service or treating people right? Have you not been reading the posts about the lack of cashiers and ridiculous lines? Please...

Walmart's low prices have nothing to do with how much they care or do not care about customers, it's about them squeezing their suppliers out of every last dime they have in order to beat their competitor's prices.
You really need to get out of the city more and go live in a small town for a while to understand the reason why walmart is good for the working people..

I mean i lived in a area where the avg family of four made in a year for them less than $25,000.oo dollars a year and lived very comfortable in there small town ..

Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM

185 posts, read 647,741 times
For all the people who hate Walmart, there will be thousands who shop there as is their right, not because they LOVE walmart, but because in this economy a working class family needs to save whatever pennies it can, walmart will allow them to purchase several necessary items at lower costs at one time. I'm appalled by the comments that make fun of people who shop at Walmart or call them morons. Those of you who do feel that way are insulting many of the poorer New Yorkers who shop at walmarts in the areas surrounding NY and the NYers who will shop at the walmart in ENY if its ever built. This is not small town USA. Walmart is not going to destroy the economy of ENY or New York city, and if NYC's economy does happen to be destroyed by Walmart then we obviously deserved it.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i don't see the big deal with Walmart in NYC

isn't it in Tokyo, HK etc..

the day's of the mom-pop/indie stores died a long time ago in NY

if not, i'd still hit my old favorite stop 6 & 12. well now they're all DD,Starbucks, Tim Hortons

Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Seriously? What did Wal-Mart do to you personally? Made your favorite bodega go bankrupt? Cry me a river.

The Wal-Mart in Valley Stream is always crowded. Surely they must be doing something right to attract so many customers? Or maybe they are being drugged and forced to shop there against their will?
I've lived in and spent considerable amounts of time in places that had walmarts. Walmarts are great for the south,the midwest and the suburbs..not so much for new york city. New yorkers have been complaining, for some time about how many big chain stores are opening here. Well walmart is the king of big chain stores,the mcdonalds of big chain stores. The city of new york has kept wal mart out of its boundaries for awhile and for good reason

Its really not about the economic or politics. Its about the integrity and culture of this city. Walmart is a monopoly that strives on dominating business wherever its located. It wont work in nyc

People are not out here protesting walmart for nothing.lets be serious

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
And to add, lol at people thinking wal-mart is nothing but another target or a super k-mart Walmart is a store that goals itself on dominating whatever location its in. NYC or not lol

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default the inside story

For all those that have not seen Wal_mart in action let me enlighten you. I remember living out in the sunbelt(Las Vegas) 20 years. They had Wal-Mart K-Mart and 4 or 5 supermarkets.

Sometime in the 1990's Wal-mart converted all of their superstores to megastores complete with supermarkets. Last time I went back 3 of the supermarket chains (Albertsons, Vons and Lucky) all closed up shop and yielded to the Wal-mart juggernaut. Now these people have less of a selection of groceries, reduced quality and are only supporting pissed off part time poverty workers.

This is what you want to bring to NY? With all the wonderful selection we have here with great sales, old world food and double coupons and you want to bring in backwater mart? For higher prices, worse sales and salty American food in plastic bags? Why?

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Walmart isn't much of a supermarket? I wonder how many of you that want this to happen have ever stepped foot inside a Walmart. Most of the new Walmarts are Supercenters, which means they have a full grocery store inside. They have everything from canned/boxed goods to meat, produce, deli, bakeries, etc.
There's a Walmart 2-3 miles from me, I've been to Walmarts in rural PA, Orlando, etc.. Not every Walmart is a Supercenter (including that one), it has only a few food aisles, primarily boxed items such as cereal, snacks, etc., that's what I was reffering to. But yes Supercenters are also supermarkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City