Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:40 PM

67 posts, read 91,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Put it on public record. I truly believe that the system can be changed so it can work for everybody. What I take a stance on, and vehemently I might add, is the idea that there should be no regulation whatsoever. That's insane. Housing is a huge commodity in NYC, and there are so many corrupt parties out there (govt. and individuals) that I can't see this industry existing the way its supposed to without being policed to some degree.
Even though there is already regulations and always has been, I agree with you... as long you don't confuse regulation with price control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,633,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post

To those defending the rent control/stabilization laws, please explain why NYC should operate ANY differently than the rest of the country, if not the planet? If you're income does not allow you to remain in an area, or become elderly, then where is it written that you are "entitled" to live in Manhattan?
NYC Should operate how the residents of NYC see fit. How the rest of the world, or the country operates relevant to this matter does not matter.

Quote:
This dreadful "entitlement" illness that permeates NYC, where public employees operate as a protected class demanding and receiving perpetual, guaranteed raises and pension increases while the rest of the city suffers economically, and 1 million renters benefit from below-market rents again paid for by the rest of us, is just horrible. Like any manipulated system, it leads to the types of corruption found in communist/third-world countries where the few/minority benefits while the bill is paid for by others. Does the name Mubarak come to mind right now?
No nothing about the rent control/ stabilization brings to mind anything relevant to the dictator currently in power in Egypt. If it does for you, then you need to review your 10th grade world history.

Quote:
If the state/city does the smart thing, and ends the rent laws, leading to the artists and middle class being priced out,
Well thats obviously not acceptable to most in NYC, so laws are in place to keep that from happening. Just because you think this result is its acceptable doesn't mean it is and since its not acceptable to the majority of residence in NYC, laws will remain to try and prevent that. Despite your ranting there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM

769 posts, read 2,044,475 times
[quote=jdm2008;17801702

Well thats obviously not acceptable to most in NYC, so laws are in place to keep that from happening. Just because you think this result is its acceptable doesn't mean it is and since its not acceptable to the majority of residence in NYC, laws will remain to try and prevent that. Despite your ranting there's nothing wrong with that.[/quote]

What's not acceptable to most in NYC? I hope you're not referring to forcing people that cannot the afford market rent for their apartment to move somewhere they can afford, because you would be wrong. Read this entire topic. How many of us do you think want to keep paying higher rent so that all these poor, innocent people can keep their 800 sq ft apartments on CPW that they pay $500 a month for?

And I'm sorry, but anyone that is not currently paying market rent (including rent stabilized, rent controlled, section 8, any other subsidized housing, etc) should have no say in this matter.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:48 PM

1,123 posts, read 773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
NYC Should operate how the residents of NYC see fit. How the rest of the world, or the country operates relevant to this matter does not matter.
Yes of course, since NYC operates on a different plane than the rest of the US and planet, where quaint notions like the laws of supply and demand do not apply...

Quote:
No nothing about the rent control/ stabilization brings to mind anything relevant to the dictator currently in power in Egypt.
It is very relevant; you have a small minority living off of the hard work and forced expenditures of others for their well-being. I and many other hard-working producers are no longer willing to subsidize other people, do you understand this basic concept?

Quote:
Well thats obviously not acceptable to most in NYC, so laws are in place to keep that from happening.
You mean not acceptable to those people benefitting from the system.

Quote:
Just because you think this result is its acceptable doesn't mean it is and since its not acceptable to the majority of residence in NYC, laws will remain to try and prevent that.
As I showed in the other thread, NY has the highest net number of moving vans leaving, and the tax base of NYC is a disaster: you have 1% of the population supplying well over 50% of the taxes paid. Put those 2 together, and you can recognize that the system is wholly unsustainable.

I spoke today with an aide handling RS/RC for a state assemblyman, and when confronted with these points, he admitted that given the huge numbers of apartments being converted to co-op/condo, or leaving the system because of the income/rent threshholds, that in a few years, there will be hardly any rental apartments left in the city, and none in the RS/RC system.

Keep pressing for this monstrously awful scheme to continue - that like communism, takes away economic incentives - and see how it does long-term.

Like all unfair, imbalanced systems that remove incentives and force some people to pay for others, and you have a corrupt cancer that will be excised sooner or later.

Its just a matter of time, whether the City leaves the system in place and it evaporates over time, or changes the laws to remove it, the end results in both cases are indistinguishable from each other. Just a question of when, not if.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 PM

1,123 posts, read 773,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
And I'm sorry, but anyone that is not currently paying market rent (including rent stabilized, rent controlled, section 8, any other subsidized housing, etc) should have no say in this matter.
I disagree, they should have a say: they are welcome to move anywhere that they can afford. Just like everywhere else, in the US, in Tokyo, and Paris, and London, and...

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 AM

105,812 posts, read 107,799,717 times
it will just about abolish itself anyway.

at the rate the apartments are becoming de-stabilized from rent increases and turnover as well as many many classified as rent stabilized are actually co-op with origonal tenants which will no longer be regulatated when the origonal tenant dies or moves and has no succession in line the rent regulated apartment will eventually be few and far between. very few major buildings have not gone co-op or condo at this stage unless city owned. that ends with the origonal tenant giving up his lease for whatever reason. our building started life as 400 stabilized apartments. its now down to less then 10% rent stabilized apartments and even that will pretty much end with the demise of the existing tenants as the building is a co-op

it woulds be interesting to see what percentage already of all those listed as regulated apartments are actually non evicting co-op conversions and will no longer be when the origonal tenant is gone... you cant artificially manipulate prices forever on anything ,eventually like water they will seek their own level one way or another.

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-10-2011 at 05:19 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 09:30 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,319,456 times
I have noticed around me (Southern Bronx), many older walk-up/tenements have been rehabbed and then turned into co-ops as well, taking even more rentals (the really affordabe/cheap kind no less) permanently off the market, as they always require ownership occupancy.

So if it is happening quite a bit around me, it must be a real problem around the rest of the city. The system needs to be fixed for ALL NYers, but I don't see anyone with the cojones to do it. If it isn't Bloomberg, it likely won't be anyone for the forseeable future.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Our building in bayside queens is 1 of 2 rental buildings still left. every other building went co-op or condo

Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 AM

84 posts, read 397,198 times
Anybody paying more than 1,500 a month is a stupid moron it cost a owner less than 500 pure profit!

Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 AM

ha ha ha ha , what heck are you trying to say.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City