Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
I need it, I will be the 1st person to go to college in my family. It is better for me to have the scholarship, than an illegal immigrant. I do not belong in NYC? Are you saying blacks do not belong there? It makes sense for me to go to Columbia, I don't see what the big deal is.
Columbia does not give scholarships to illegal immigrants...lol.

I am saying racist, hard-headed people like you with tunnel vision do not belong there. You have a lot to learn. I'm truly sorry if your parents raised you to be this way. You say the cab drivers do not pick up black passengers- what TV show did you see that on? And you say that blacks aren't supposed to have so much money-maybe in the south but that is certainly not the case here. And you know nothing about NYC if you say that blacks do not live here. Are someone else pointed out, whites are the minority here.

Also, I agree that you want to make yourself out to be some victim of this horrible world we live in. Please stop. Your sob story about being the first to go to college in a black family does not gain you anything on this forum. This is the year 2011, not 1970.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Your sob story about being the first to go to college in a black family does not gain you anything on this forum. This is the year 2011, not 1970.
I was the first in my family to graduate from college. I'm white so it probibly doesn't count though.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I was the first in my family to graduate from college. I'm white so it probibly doesn't count though.
Nope. Only counts for black people, well I guess certain types of black people.

I was the first in my family to get a graduate degree and hit a six figure salary. But that also does not matter. I'm hispanic, not black.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 PM

127 posts, read 183,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
My mother, too. Also white, grew up poor, father didn't finish HS. Lots of people don't come from privilege. My mom also DIDN'T get into Columbia or anywhere close to that and had to work twice as hard to prove herself since it was the 70s and women were still not equal back then. You can complain, or you can do. Up to you.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:04 PM

68 posts, read 110,087 times
Everyone one is saying what the city has to offer - what does it have to offer to me specifically?

Old 03-05-2011, 05:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Funny as a "black" person you said I should just forget about slavery. I won't. i do not go around screaming at Jews to forget the Holocaust. Where did I say that blacks were the only people who went through some really tough times? You are being racist yourself. Japanese people were giving money for what they have been through, are they more valued than black americans? We went through way more than they did.

I do not agree with gay lifestyles, but if I disagree with anyone of you I get called a racist. Just because i do not like Chinese food does not make me a racist. By the way, I am 17 years old, not 14.
I can't fathom how someone of your caliber can get accepted into Columbia. Not because of your race but simply because of your inability to comprehend a simple post.

I never wrote "Forget about slavery" I said "Get Over It" meaning accept that was the past, leave it there. You're asking for an apology, but from whom? The people that were involved with slavery are long gone, so who exactly should apologize? I also said "I can't stand it when some black people act as if they were the only race to encounter problems in their past." implying that your whole wanting an apology act, is ludicrous.

Quote:
Columbia is a white school, so if there are other people there is probably a very small community of them. I don't want to be the only black in a class full of white kids- that will make me feel slightly uncomfortable. Probably not enough to interrupt my learning and studies, but enough not find any friends that enjoy the same things I do. They might even single me out, who knows. This is a school, not a work place. If this makes me racist then so be it.
It's thoughts like the one above that will hinder you in the long run. I'm not judging you because I don't know you but you've got to jump over things at times. Columbia isn't a white school, the students that attend are majority white. Huge difference. You've made it this far! Be proud to be an American and stop playing the race card. You've applied yourself and got accepted because you're intelligent. Don't allow people to tell you differently.

If people single you out (which is still hard to imagine in 2011) then they probably are in the same state as you are and it's truly sad. I know you're only 17 but if you keep living life the way you do, you'll be the only miserable one in the end. Stop judging based off race and/or sexual preference because sometimes it's the people who you least expect to care, who cares for you the most.

PM me if you feel I'm being harsh or just let me know, because that's not my intent.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Everyone one is saying what the city has to offer - what does it have to offer to me specifically?
A world-class education. That alone should be enough. A diverse population, the best food from all over the world, top entertainment options, history, employment opportunities.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Don't want to sound cheesy but it has everything you'd want to take advantage of.

Whatever you can possibly think of NYC has it and to a degree that no other city in America has.

You only live once, (they say) so seize the moment and enjoy your life with no regrets!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:11 PM

69 posts, read 156,228 times
lol havnt paid 100 for a meal in a while.

You can go to Jackson Diner(Queens) a great Indian buffet for like $15 i believe...as much as you can eat for lunch....

Old 03-05-2011, 05:15 PM

68 posts, read 110,087 times
I do not like Indian food, but I love fast food though at least that is cheap and tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City