Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM

122 posts, read 587,011 times

Advertisements

Any dangerous sections to avoid living in on the UWS? Any particular stretches I should avoid walking through if I want to be reasonably safe? I strike a fit and handsome profile; I am a Southern gentleman with kind eyes and a bit of a drawl, but at the same time I'm not so naïve looking. My significant other, a young and curvaceous hot brunette bombshell, shall be accompanying me on a sojourn to New York.

I am familiar with the Upper East Side and how it is pretty safe -- relatively homogeneous in terms of safety concerns -- up to about the mid-80s, at which point there becomes a mix of everything from the gentrified to "bad elements" to thugs; and then, at 96th, abruptly turns from the civilized world to ghetto. Is the Upper West Side similar in this regard -- does it have identifiable lines of demarcation and this kind of tapering off effect? I imagine that it might not be so analogous because of Columbia University's presence way uptown in the 110s and 120s, which I am assuming might serve to extend the nicer portions of the UWS and stabilize the areas surrounding the university, making for perhaps a longer swath of civilization before things turn bad, as I'm quite certain it inevitably does wherever Harlem and whatever other ghettos butt up against it. But then again, the Upper West Side might be checkerboarded good/bad because it does run so very long (no swath that large could be all good?).

I'm counting on the au fait on this board to come through for me. Please abstain from accusations of bigotry or racism, or "This is a city, it's gritty, use street smarts and understand anything can and will happen anywhere -- this is New Yawk for crissakes!" types of replies. I'm looking for honest, rational, and somewhat detailed responses from experienced New Yorkers. I will be in this area for a period of time and would like to be prepared to be as safe I can reasonably be. Surely that is not too much to ask, even in New Yawk (I know, don't call you Shirley). I imagine there must be some areas designated as "good to go," some shady areas, and perhaps even some abject war zones to avoid at all costs. There must be streets considered safe to traverse and streets that are not. There have to be rules of thumb for all of this, and if not -- if everything truly is haphazard & random and ever-changing on a daily basis, and that is indeed the sincere and consensus opinion of this board -- I'll be thankful for the info and set about basing myself out of some other nabe.

Also: Specifically, how would the 90s on the UWS be for living? And please, could someone comment on what would be the safety considerations for the aforementioned significant other subwaying it from the Upper West into Midtown and back (9 a.m., 10 p.m.)? Finally, anyone care to comment on safety concerns in Riverside Park?

Last edited by Laocoön; 08-10-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times
The Upper West Side is a very safe neighborhood.
Once you start to get to Harlem it will change quite a bit, but I think West Harlem is better then Central and East Harlem.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Very, very safe- almost as wealthy (if not more so) than the Upper East Side across the park.

The only area I avoid is the projects behind Lincoln Center- low West 60's around Amsterdam. I'm sure they're not bad as pj's go, but still.

Riverside Park is safe, too. As with any park in NYC, only go during daylight hours.

West 90's are perfectly fine.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 PM

122 posts, read 587,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
The Upper West Side is a very safe neighborhood.
Once you start to get to Harlem it will change quite a bit, but I think West Harlem is better then Central and East Harlem.
What are the borders delineating Harlem/Whatever Unsafe Zones from the Upper West Side/Morningside Heights? Might 125th Street-Morningside Park-110th Street be somewhat of a neutral ground?

Old 08-11-2010, 02:49 PM

447 posts, read 1,563,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
What are the borders delineating Harlem/Whatever Unsafe Zones from the Upper West Side/Morningside Heights? Might 125th Street-Morningside Park-110th Street be somewhat of a neutral ground?
I believe past 110th street will be Harlem.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
There have been two attacks (that I know of) in Riverside Park this summer. Your friend should only use the park during busy hours:
Riverside Park attack suspect video released by NYPD, shown with no shirt and wearing shorts

Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
I believe past 110th street will be Harlem.
here we go again. morningside heights is 110th - 125th from riverside drive to morningside drive. aka white harlem. but it really is extremely diverse. i live there i should know.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM

45 posts, read 99,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
here we go again. morningside heights is 110th - 125th from riverside drive to morningside drive. aka white harlem. but it really is extremely diverse. i live there i should know.
Lol white Harlem?
Does that exist?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
Lol white Harlem?
Does that exist?
you never heard of the late great comedian george carlin, one of his routines was based on him growing up in white harlem, which morningside heights is known as. this is because it was originally an irish immigrant neighborhood until columbia and the other school bought some properties.

now it is very diverse, and people that call the area home like it for that reason.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 PM

63 posts, read 238,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
I strike a fit and handsome profile; I am a Southern gentleman with kind eyes
Kind eyes. Hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City