Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,367,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
You might be right. Children do not see the horrors of where they grew up. My father was in a Polish Jewish gang and I highly doubt they got together to meet at temple or hang out at restaurants eating matzo ball soup and pierogies.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
idk because my jewish teacher who is a old m,an now and has been a old man since i was 7 use to tell our class that when he grew up in Brownsville their was a shooting everyday. LITERALLY.

i heard east new york used to be fine but Brownsville was always a ghetto even before the demographic shift.
This holds true for Mott Haven. Mott Haven was always rough before the blacks took over the housing projects and the Puerto RIcans took over tenements. I read alot of history of Mott Haven from the 1920s to now. I also came across many IRish who used to live in Mott Haven a generation ago. During the roaring twenties and depression Mott Haven was notrious for its speak easyies and the violence attributed to illegal alcohol sales. The Germans moved out the Irish moved in. The IRish was just as bad. I have met an old IRish guy that did time for manslaugther charges of killing two people in Mott Haven back in the 60s. I was told about the Irish gangs who used to roam around the housing projects and tenements in Mott Haven and fight against rival Rican and Italian gangs. By the 70s and 80s Majority of the Irish left Mott Haven and the area was inherited by the Puerto Ricans. Even in Kindergarten I had a couple of Irish kids in MY class at an Mott Haven elementary school. Ricans took over the crime and drug trade in Mott Haven until the turn of the 21st century. Germans, moved out, the IRish moved out, now the Puerto Ricans are moving out, blacks are staying put in the Pjs, Dominicans are marching down the concourse moving in and the Mexicans coming across the Harlem River. New faces but its still the same old game of grime and crime in the hood and it reciprocates every generation. Mexicans and Dominicans are going to do the samething or already doing the samething that the Ricans, AAs, Italians, Irish and Germans did before them. What I find surprising is that Mott Haven for generations of people always remained and centered around the Catholic Church. From Germans, to Irish, to Puerto RIcans and now Mexicans are adherents and followers of the Catholic churches in MOtt Haven.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,758,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This holds true for Mott Haven. Mott Haven was always rough before the blacks took over the housing projects and the Puerto RIcans took over tenements. I read alot of history of Mott Haven from the 1920s to now. I also came across many IRish who used to live in Mott Haven a generation ago. During the roaring twenties and depression Mott Haven was notrious for its speak easyies and the violence attributed to illegal alcohol sales. The Germans moved out the Irish moved in. The IRish was just as bad. I have met an old IRish guy that did time for manslaugther charges of killing two people in Mott Haven back in the 60s. I was told about the Irish gangs who used to roam around the housing projects and tenements in Mott Haven and fight against rival Rican and Italian gangs. By the 70s and 80s Majority of the Irish left Mott Haven and the area was inherited by the Puerto Ricans. Even in Kindergarten I had a couple of Irish kids in MY class at an Mott Haven elementary school. Ricans took over the crime and drug trade in Mott Haven until the turn of the 21st century. Germans, moved out, the IRish moved out, now the Puerto Ricans are moving out, blacks are staying put in the Pjs, Dominicans are marching down the concourse moving in and the Mexicans coming across the Harlem River. New faces but its still the same old game of grime and crime in the hood and it reciprocates every generation. Mexicans and Dominicans are going to do the samething or already doing the samething that the Ricans, AAs, Italians, Irish and Germans did before them. What I find surprising is that Mott Haven for generations of people always remained and centered around the Catholic Church. From Germans, to Irish, to Puerto RIcans and now Mexicans are adherents and followers of the Catholic churches in MOtt Haven.
BG, this posting was on Brooklyn and Brownsville. How did the Bronx and Mott Haven become center stage? I bet the Bushmen and the Kalahari desert could be the topic and you would be able to write a relevant post about Mott Haven and the Bronx.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,082 times
To the last poster... this thread was on the four worst neighborhoods in the NYC, your opinion... And her info was on point and valid to the thread...

Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 AM

9 posts, read 48,587 times
Brighton Beach.
Sheepshead Bay.
Coney Island.
Kings Highway/Midwood.

Anywhere where theres that "group of people".

I like Bensonhurst/Bayridge.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To the last poster... this thread was on the four worst neighborhoods in the NYC, your opinion... And her info was on point and valid to the thread...
I know. I was only teasing Bronxguyanese who btw is a guy.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post

BG, this posting was on Brooklyn and Brownsville. How did the Bronx and Mott Haven become center stage? I bet the Bushmen and the Kalahari desert could be the topic and you would be able to write a relevant post about Mott Haven and the Bronx.
I was just showing an example.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I was just showing an example.
I know. My post was only in jest. I enjoy reading your postings. Don't think I don't. I mean who else woud have the sense or knowledge to bring up the draft riots of New York city. How cool was that?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM

215 posts, read 518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoidPersonality View Post
Brighton Beach.
Sheepshead Bay.
Coney Island.
Kings Highway/Midwood.

Anywhere where theres that "group of people".

I like Bensonhurst/Bayridge.
What is so bad about Russians in Sheepshead Bay vs Russians in Bensonhurst? Lol.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

9 posts, read 48,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
What is so bad about Russians in Sheepshead Bay vs Russians in Bensonhurst? Lol.

Ahh. Same difference to me. It's just that there are less of them there.

I don't mind the Italians/Koreans as much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City