Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidedr View Post
Its One stop from marcy ave to essex st, is that considered les? Seems like a place hipsters would want to go. Are the real estate prices in williamsburg along the j/m/z line high just like the rest of williamsburg?
I don’t understand the question. Essex Street is the Lower East Side. Marcy Avenue is Williamsburg. The river is in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
The Hasidic part of Williamsburg will never be gentrified
not only that, they continue to expand toward Bway (at least near Lorimer, if not close to the river) and are poised to be a big piece of the triangle project whenever it gets built, and have moved in force to the parts of bed stuy along along Bedford Avenue, as far as Myrtle (or even a bit beyond) Given the satmar birthrate, its hard to see them being outbid for their existing turf.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
. Now that the M is rerouted, I predict that South Williamsburg will gentrify because it’s much safer than other places on the L, like Bushwick. It’s only a matter of time.
Those hipsters are gonna love the staggered balconies - maybe they will realize Sukkos is hip.

More seriously, there are some older buildings scattered around S williamsburg (i have seen at least one old factory) that arent really suitable as hasidic housing, and I think ARE being rented by hipsters/gentry.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
There were predictions the new M train service would eventually raise rents along the JMZ line in Williamsburg. Being able get all the way to Rockefeller Center from SE Williamsburg without a single transfer is pretty cool, although it's not a real quick ride. The JMZ used to be pretty much a dead end down in the Financial District and not all that convenient for transferring to other lines to go uptown.

Williamsburg is not all hipsters either, as others have pointed out. The Hasidic Jews have their territory. There's little Puerto Rico on and around Graham Ave. A small yuppie stronghold of glass condo towers along the river that is still taking shape. It's gotta be one of the more diverse neighborhoods in New York.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM

54 posts, read 154,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I don’t understand the question. Essex Street is the Lower East Side. Marcy Avenue is Williamsburg. The river is in between.
Let me explain my question. There are many reasons why williamsburg attracted hipsters. Isn't one of the main ones is its a quick train ride to the east village and LES, 2 hoods hipsters prefer to hangout.

Since the essex st train stop is the LES, wouldn't hipsters want to live one train stop away in south williamsburg along the j/m/z?

With all that in mind I'm surprised south williamsburg hasn't gentrified

Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Let me explain my question. There are many reasons why williamsburg attracted hipsters. Isn't one of the main ones is its a quick train ride to the east village and LES, 2 hoods hipsters prefer to hangout.

Since the essex st train stop is the LES, wouldn't hipsters want to live one train stop away in south williamsburg along the j/m/z?

Thats because of 2 reasons: First, Hasidic Williamsburg and second, the housing stock immediately surrounding the J/M/Z line is not in great condition, this especially holds true the further east you go.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
those specific hipsters take cabs. if they go to the les to hang out in a clique, they split the fare

Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 PM

54 posts, read 154,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats because of 2 reasons: First, Hasidic Williamsburg and second, the housing stock immediately surrounding the J/M/Z line is not in great condition, this especially holds true the further east you go.
wouldn't housing stock not in great condition just make it cheaper. That should atleast attract artists, then hipsters will follow

Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
wouldn't housing stock not in great condition just make it cheaper. That should atleast attract artists, then hipsters will follow
Hipsters are a timid bunch. They dont flock to areas that look scary (crime-wise), even though Williamsburg is not dangerous. However, some parts look like where Eddie Murphy moved to in Coming to America still (which was actually shot in Williamsburg). But its not a dangerous area.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-09-2011, 07:34 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
Quote:

You'd see plenty of hipsters getting on the J train at Marcy Ave. The Jews own a lot of the property around that area though, and they're a pretty insulated bunch. They probably don't sell or rent to outsiders. (I'm assuming here a little though based on how they conduct themselves. I've sure as hell never asked one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City