Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Agreed.
That's why I'm concerned who are my white children going to become when raised in Harlem. Do you know the term "whigga" lol JK!
omg, I laughed so hard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,914 times
I'm from 207 in inwood and everything supermario is saying is on point. anytime of day on post, vermylia, sherman you will see people hustling openly. lookouts are everywhere. audobon feels a little more reckless just because there is a worse gang issue with young kids aroudn there. however Dominicans understand that random crime, particularly crime that affects those outside of the drug trade is bad for biz. so random violence and robbery is pretty rare compared with alot of harlem. PR is puerto ricans AA- Blacks. why you think Dominicans have been running the drug game in ny for so long? Puerto Ricans can't do anything in S bronx because they made it too hot for themselves and blacks can't do anything in harlem for the same reason. Inwood is a great place to have a family and is safer than any comparable neighborhood I can think of.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortillian View Post
I'm from 207 in inwood and everything supermario is saying is on point. anytime of day on post, vermylia, sherman you will see people hustling openly. lookouts are everywhere. audobon feels a little more reckless just because there is a worse gang issue with young kids aroudn there. however Dominicans understand that random crime, particularly crime that affects those outside of the drug trade is bad for biz. so random violence and robbery is pretty rare compared with alot of harlem. PR is puerto ricans AA- Blacks. why you think Dominicans have been running the drug game in ny for so long? Puerto Ricans can't do anything in S bronx because they made it too hot for themselves and blacks can't do anything in harlem for the same reason. Inwood is a great place to have a family and is safer than any comparable neighborhood I can think of.
So if Dominicans know that random crime is bad for biz why did Washington Heights have so many shootings in the 1990s

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So if Dominicans know that random crime is bad for biz why did Washington Heights have so many shootings in the 1990s
yeah, like Dominicans got a 6th sense for business that makes em get more money than PR and Blacks can't believe that theory, thugs be shooting for whatever reason, regardless of their ethnicity

Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Whoa!
I think it's more about activities you get involved in, not the skin color. I doubt I'm safer walking in Harlem just because I'm white - nor in more danger - I think crime does not discriminate and is more about being in the wrong time wrong place than race. Unless of coarse you're a criminal and looking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Ok look it's time to spit some good game for you people.

First, the precint that covers the 112th & St. Nicholas area (28th) is the worst in Harlem. In other words, it has the highest crime rate out of all the Harlem precincts, and 4th highest in the city of NY. So those of you who are saying the area is not bad are getting duped by the real estate people.

Second, those blocks from Broadway to Amsterdam suck. W 134th street is right by the highway so you have alot of out of towners trying to cop drugs from the Dominicans. This is the culture in western Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood. Drugs are part of daily life. Ever wonder why those areas were so bad back during the crack era? Well you had so many drug dealers, drug crews and drugs, that a war between them would result in heavy casualties, which is what happened.

These Dominican areas are not dangerous, especially when compared to the PR or AA areas. I could walk at 4 am in the heart of the underworld (say anywhere on the Audobon street) and probably come out safe. The problems with these areas, and specifically the following, W 157th - W 163rd st Amsterdam to Broadway, anywhere on on Audobon ave, the Nagle, Post, Sherman, Vermylia (W 204th-W207th) area in Inwood, (the Amsterdam-Broadway corridor in West Harlem has it's drugs aswell, although it's not as bad as it is uptown) is that most every young person there is hustling. You can see deals going on right in front of you. This happened on 158th and Broadway the other day to me, I saw it, and it was like nothing, no one said anything, nothing. You can see it by their jelwelry, their luxury vehicles, their going in and out of buildings, their talking on cell phones, etc ...this is a million dollar enteprise that runs uptown Manhattan.

Now what I want one of you kiddies to do for me is go into the blocks I mentioned above, whether it's in Washington Heights or Inwood, and take in everything. It really is crazy, and I feel like im having all the fun. The drug trade is unbelievable when you see it run so properly and when it's part of daily life.

Shout out to all my Dominicans.
I remember the Crack Era like it was yesterday... the run and gun shootouts, while sitting on the stoop of 514 w. 134... seen someone shot, seen the remnants of someone’s brains splattered on the manhole cover on the corner... on our way to PS161 for summer breakfast one morning... 133rd and 134th either made you or broke you. I remember very well how it was before and after crack... that **** destroyed a lot of lives, a friends sister getting shot in her face on the rooftop... man I can go on forever... it wasn't always like that though... there was love on that block at one time, the block parties... it was good times, but crack made ALL that disappear literally overnight. I hope all those poor souls found peace... Best thing my mom ever did was move us to Alabama.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Usually the phrase is "Best thing my mom ever did was move us out of Alabama". But in your case, it sounds like an exception.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
We regret moving to Harlem because we do not have time to clean the house and we cannot find anyone willing to do so up here, or who is willing to travel here for the work.

However, now I can be grateful that I do not live in Alabama, household chores notwithstanding.
So I think Harlem has changed, granted the areas you mention on St. Nicholas not so much.

Back to cleaning, anyone who founds a reputable, reliable, bonded cleaning agency that serves this area will make a fortune - by the way. Directed to any entrepreneurs out there.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:57 PM

99 posts, read 216,053 times
My stint living in the Harlem Washington heights area wasn't the best. It was very ghetto with a lot of qol issues. It was also harder to get women and friends to come visit me.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:22 PM

28 posts, read 43,907 times
Ya'll need to man up.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
We regret moving to Harlem because we do not have time to clean the house and we cannot find anyone willing to do so up here, or who is willing to travel here for the work.

However, now I can be grateful that I do not live in Alabama, household chores notwithstanding.
So I think Harlem has changed, granted the areas you mention on St. Nicholas not so much.

Back to cleaning, anyone who founds a reputable, reliable, bonded cleaning agency that serves this area will make a fortune - by the way. Directed to any entrepreneurs out there.
Have you tried Handy Book? I use them for regulay biweekly cleaning. I'm pretty sure they service all of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City