Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM

54 posts, read 154,990 times

Advertisements

Why do people do this in nyc? I can understand during the summer when its really in hot in your apt but its the winter! There even outside early morning and its freezing. How can a non child be outside just chilling at 3am on a tuesday, don't they have work?I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidedr View Post
Why do people do this in nyc? I can understand during the summer when its really in hot in your apt but its the winter! There even outside early morning and its freezing. How can a non child be outside just chilling at 3am on a tuesday, don't they have work?I don't get it.
What's a non child?
and for the record, wherever there's a hood, people will do that. I live in a gated complex and sometimes in the summer people bring their portable fold-up chairs outside and have a drink because they don't feel like being cooped up indoors.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I can tell you alot of people "chill" outside because their home lives are far worse than enduring bone chilling temps. You can have 6+ people easily packed into a dilapidated and small 2 bedroom apt (grandmother, mother and her "friend", daughter and her 2 kids for example). Throw in the fact that nobody works so everyone is in the apt all day and night, with rarely if ever any privacy or time for yourself, add in substance abuse like drugs and alcohol, add in resulting violence/dysfunction from the substance abuse/no time to yourself/everyone always broke/living in subpar conditions, and you can see why people would prefer to stand around all day and night with their friends outside rather than be home and get yelled at by everyone all the time.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM

11 posts, read 30,808 times
Riversidedr, I feel your pain. I've lived near Broadway in the 130-s for a few years. I hate it with a passion, and now that I have a tiny bit of money saved up, I am moving. Moving before the warm sets in and EVERYONE starts to hang out directly below my window, with their loud voices and gorrendous so called music. They don't care and cops don't care. Good luck... and get out before you go nuts. Although if your bedroom does not face the street, like mine does, you should do ok.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What's a non child?
and for the record, wherever there's a hood, people will do that. I live in a gated complex and sometimes in the summer people bring their portable fold-up chairs outside and have a drink because they don't feel like being cooped up indoors.
i. I didn't want to write adult since its usually ppl of the age older then children but not fathers and mothers out there. 16-25 seems about the age

Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM

11 posts, read 30,808 times
SobroGuy is absolutely correct. Plus, they have no jobs and don't look for jobs, because they are low-lives on welfare. Eternally. I don't feel bad for them even in the slightest. They create the conditions they live in and don't even attempt to get out. They like to live that way. Driving normal, hardworking, educated people like me away from an otherwise pretty neighborhood by a wonderful park and a river.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:10 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromspanishharlem View Post
Riversidedr, I feel your pain. I've lived near Broadway in the 130-s for a few years. I hate it with a passion, and now that I have a tiny bit of money saved up, I am moving. Moving before the warm sets in and EVERYONE starts to hang out directly below my window, with their loud voices and gorrendous so called music. They don't care and cops don't care. Good luck... and get out before you go nuts. Although if our bedroom does not face the street, like mine does, you should do ok.
It doesn't bother me, just seems strange to be outside in the cold.
@sobroguy-that makes sense but they can't all have life situations like that. This is nyc, which is really expensive. How can they afford to live here. I'm not talking about the projects here either, regular buildings. There prob not on welfare, you need to have children to on welfare.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM

82 posts, read 175,669 times
Come to think of it, I only see that in the projects though its not limited to other places. That could be the only place or time they get to spend with friends and/or neighbors. Or maybe that's where they do their business.
Puff, puff, pass baby.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
the reason, according to my professor back when i was in college, is because ppl don't have a yard.
i never thought about it before but it makes sense. ppl with yards hang out in that general area. ppl without hang outside of where they live. either way, we socialize or just chill that way.

why do you care, OP?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,656 times
I believe it's their culture. Instead of playing video games, watching TV, or surfing the web, they choose to hang out in front of a building or inside the lobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: