Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Reading a book about the Dominican drug gang , Wild Cowboys, and wow Mott Haven around Beekman and Washington Heights was nuts! Can't believe im reading on the same neighborhoods, which today are utopia, relative to the early 90's.
I remember the wild cowboys, they were very dangerous. No one in mott haven liked them and also for the fact of another nieghborhood gang from wh was controlling and pushing drugs through out mott haven and beyond. I can never forget when wild cowboys chased some dude down and shot him in front of his doorstep. Another they killed someone on the doorstep of a church in the heart of beekmen community. I can never forget when the wildcowboyz pushed out puertorican gangs. As a child and whem I heard gun shots we always knew it rang out near or around the beekman area. A guy from my building stabbed and killed someone from the wildcowboys gang. Both cops and gang were looking for him. Nypd got to him first. Super mario it wasnt nuts, it was wild like the wild west. Today beekman is the poorest area of mott haven, its even more worse then the housing projects nearby. You would feel safer in the pjs than compared to beekman tenenaments. There is a police tower located on the steps of the church providing round the clock over sight in the heart of beekman. Some say its not the pjs that hold mott haven back its beekman. There is a nice restaurant near beekman called pio pio, its peruvian. Many manhattanits and others visit the restaurant. Across the street from beekman lewis morris a delegate of the state of ny who signed the decleration of independence is burried thier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Reading a book about the Dominican drug gang , Wild Cowboys, and wow Mott Haven around Beekman and Washington Heights was nuts! Can't believe im reading on the same neighborhoods, which today are utopia, relative to the early 90's.
If you ever get a chance supermario read a book called the American drug scene. Read about williamwburg. Back in the 80s and early 90s williamsburg was one of the most dangerous areas of the city. Italians fought ricans, later domincans fought ricans for the control of drug trade in williamsburg. I remember reading how there was a line for drug sales in wburg and some lady bought the last vial of crack, and an angry customer shot the lady in the head took her drugs and her money. The drug related violence in wburg spilled over to bushwick and bed stuy. Sadly today hipsters, transplants, yuppies and other generic degenerates will never know that where they are standing and living used to be dangerous back in the day.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Read about williamwburg. Back in the 80s and early 90s williamsburg was one of the most dangerous areas of the city. Italians fought ricans, later domincans fought ricans for the control of drug trade in williamsburg.
That had to be east of Roebling and south of Metropolitan because the Northside (the modern-day "party central"/"booze central" for the tragically hip transplants) in the 80's and 90's was not drug-infested. It was safe. However, hookers walked up and down much of Kent Avenue and they probably did drugs - but that's the only Northside exception I can come up with right now

Last edited by grimace8; 02-16-2011 at 06:42 AM..

Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 AM

32 posts, read 82,058 times
I think part of the reason for the plethora of horror stories about bad neighborhoods is that some posters haven't experienced many different neighborhoods. They've only lived in one place for a long time and then they have a lot of stories about their friend "Joe" who lived in Harlem and got robbed. Or this women they heard of who moved to Bed Stuy and got mugged. Then they just follow that up with misapplied statistics.

One poster earlier mentioned no one ever talks about the UWS or the UES because those enclaves are rich and never change - see that's just short-sightedness and not knowing the area. There is a change in interest for many renters/buyers on the East side because of the subway expansion. And residents have moved out because of worsening rat problems. How could posters talk about it though, if they don't know anyone there and don't have any inside info?

Old 02-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
That had to be east of Roebling and south of Metropolitan because the Northside (the modern-day "party central"/"booze central" for the tragically hip transplants) in the 80's and 90's was not drug-infested. It was safe. However, hookers walked up and down much of Kent Avenue and they probably did drugs - but that's the only Northside exception I can come up with right now
Wiliamsburg back in the day was brooklyns version of washington heights. So much violence in that area was attributed to the drug trade. I read a book called american drug scene and the author of the book focused his attention on williamburg brooklyn and drugs. White kids from the suburbs use to drive to williamsburg to pick up drugs and drive back. I remember reading about a jewish guy who learned puerti rican accented spanish sold drugs on driggs avenue. Sellers knew who was a cop and who was not just by a persons speech.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,798 times
Quote:
I live in a simular situation. I live in Mott Haven on 137 street between Willis and Brown place. The block is general quiet, its mostly old School Puerto RIcans, some blacks, Dominicans coming from the Heights and Mexicans from Puebla and a couple of whites here and there. Everyone is sorta closeknit and everyone knows each other. No gunplay happens here except for across the street in the mitchell housing projects were people there try to spill the crime across the street. There is no major drug trade but just low level crack and weed selling which exist in every niegborhood through out the city in rich white niegborhoods. But when you cross Willis avenue or cross Brooke avenue on 137 street gets real sketchy and dangerous like the Millbrooke projects which is nicknamed Kill Brooke projects. I came across many rude white people myself from the South East Bronx. I was on the 6 train one time with three Italian guys, they said the NIQQA so much I just SMH. Another time on the 6 train some white kids steal some black kids pair of Jordans got off of 3av 138 and ran I doubt the cops at the 40th precenct did not catch them. I really frown upon ghetto white folks. I dont know whats worse ghetto wanna be white folks or born ghetto black folks.
What makes you think white people cant be ghetto? What is the defination of both those terms? Do you follow them home and make sure they live in a nice house with both parents?

Ive seen alot of "ghetto" black kids who had BOTH THEIR PARENTS PRESENT in their lives. That pisses me off because its not like they dont have people to care about them. Thats a damn LUXURY to many people who never did.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Wiliamsburg back in the day was brooklyns version of washington heights. So much violence in that area was attributed to the drug trade. I read a book called american drug scene and the author of the book focused his attention on williamburg brooklyn and drugs. White kids from the suburbs use to drive to williamsburg to pick up drugs and drive back. I remember reading about a jewish guy who learned puerti rican accented spanish sold drugs on driggs avenue. Sellers knew who was a cop and who was not just by a persons speech.
Well then my parents did a great job of sheltering us from that underworld cuz I was oblivious- but understand I was a little kid with zero link to any underworld. We moved to the Northside in 1975 so maybe it was before then or like I said maybe we were well-sheltered. I do remember my cousin, sister and mom saying there were hookers on Kent Avenue (truckers were their customers) But if it was really really wacky out-of-control, my parents would not have allowed us to stay there for 24 years. We didn't hang out outdoors after sundown unless it was at a cousin's house

Old 02-16-2011, 08:16 PM

217 posts, read 417,316 times
"Why are bad neighborhoods so popular here?"

I always found that New Yorkers are more articulate than the rest of the country. This is also true for those coming from sketchy areas. When discussing sketchy areas on CD (outside of NYC), you mostly have replies from outsiders, who aren't really familiar with the area.

For various reasons, this isn't the case for CD-NYC, as you can actually learn something and hear many well-versed perspectives. So within all of this, sometimes you get some sociology, criminology, etc... from another viewpoint.

The NY-Dump threads are one of the best themes on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City