Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,657 times

Advertisements

^^^Any new ferry implemented in the Rockaways is going to be catered to residents west of the Cross Bay Bridge. You won't see a ferry landing at Edgemere or Far Rock. And regarding the express train to Manhattan, what ever happened to the A train? As far as I know, that route sure isn't a local. If you meant all day/evening service out to the Rockaway Park/Beach areas where currently the shuttle runs, it's not going to happen because of many valid and utterly stupid reasons.^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
The SI Ferry is a very large, antiquated boat. You could have a very fast boat make the trip in about 30 minutes but it would be quite expensive. A Rockaway ferry service would certainly not have to hold as many people as the SI ferry either.

I recall a hovercraft service that left in the vicinity of the Coast gaurd station at Fort Tilden several years back. There was also plans for one out of B 116 st & a stop in the Breezy Point area too. But that never came to fruition.

It can be a rough ride on a windy day coming around Coney Island & Gowanus Bay, so hold onto your frapiccino lattes.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 AM

34,027 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
^^^Any new ferry implemented in the Rockaways is going to be catered to residents west of the Cross Bay Bridge. You won't see a ferry landing at Edgemere or Far Rock. And regarding the express train to Manhattan, what ever happened to the A train? As far as I know, that route sure isn't a local. If you meant all day/evening service out to the Rockaway Park/Beach areas where currently the shuttle runs, it's not going to happen because of many valid and utterly stupid reasons.^^^
Ugh...first of all, it would make no sense to put a ferry at Edgemere or Far Rockaway because it would only end up serving one half of the peninsula. My original statement regarding the ferry (and maybe I should have made myself clearer) is that not many people would be inclined to use it depending on where its stationed. For example, if the ferry is stationed at Beach 116th, I'm not sure if people living in the 90's, and even 100's would take advantage of the service, as they would still have to find a way to get to the ferry.

In response to your comment about the trains, I think they should get rid of the shuttle, make a regular express A train 24 hours from Rockaway Park to 207th, and make a super-express A train from 207th to Far Rockaway. It's the longest line in the system, and one of the busiest.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
the bottom line is that ferry services from the rockaways is probably not feasible because demographics and geography are not conducive to a well used, successful service. Here are some issues that I think would doom this idea to failure:
1. costs, the fare would be over $20 one way,
2. access, where would the terminal be?
3. people, how many people would actually benefit or use the service?
4. route and time, look at a map! the route is round about and long, the route is in open water for a bit and that can be quite choppy, people won't like being bounced around and for the high fares the time saved would be minimal.

There are similar services running out of NJ that work well because the route is direct and there is a critical mass of people willing to pay the high fares.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 AM

I agree. I would rather see improvement on the A train than ferry service.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 71,028 times
Here is a video of Averne by the Sea development. It should be very nice if they deliver what they promised. I just visited the area this past weekend. It's looking great! A lot more new houses have been built.

Arverne Video Tour

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Here's how Arverne By The Sea actually looks right now:

Arverne By The Sea from the A Train

I took this on the A train on my way to work.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 PM

191 posts, read 873,935 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/ny...yt&oref=slogin

posted this on the other thread about the rock

Old 05-01-2008, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 71,028 times
This is a old post though. It said 1/7/07.

Does anyone know if Beach Channel Drive & 68th to 72th street a good area? How about Beach 41th street and Beach 25th street by Seagirt Ave? I'm looking into invest in a 2 or 3 family house and want to know which area I should go into.

Thanks.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:41 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Beach View Post
This is a old post though. It said 1/7/07.

Does anyone know if Beach Channel Drive & 68th to 72th street a good area? How about Beach 41th street and Beach 25th street by Seagirt Ave? I'm looking into invest in a 2 or 3 family house and want to know which area I should go into.

Thanks.
none of it could be considered a good area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City