Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,436 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many of you live in Arverne, but I have been living here for the past 8 years and I've seen ARVERNE BY THE SEA project go up. I probably have seen a lot more then the developer would like me to see. All I can tell all of you thinking about moving here is DO NOT make this big mistake. The sales people will be as sweet as possible to you just to make you buy and they will tell you whatever they need to in order for you to buy this house. They will not tell you the truth because you would not buy. You hear gun shots here everyday, there is more crime then you'd ever think, school system is the worse. If you don't live here you would not know those things, as everyone is trying to cover up the amount of crime here to attract more people to move to Arverne and bring up the value of their properties. Just few weeks ago 2 dead bodies were found in Arverne, but this was never reported to the public. There are a lot of projects here and those people are not going anywhere. Do not listen to any rumors that they're shutting down the projects.... those are lies that were told by developers to help them sell.
Bottom line… it’s dangerous here. If I have known what I know now, I would have never moved out here. As you walk from the train station, day or night, you’re never safe. The beach looks beautiful here, but it has witnessed many crimes. Also, you might think you’re getting a good price for those homes, but after seeing way too many things here, I can tell you that they’re way over priced, and don’t even think about re-sale after you buy. You’ll notice more problems with those homes each year and it will be impossible to re-sell at a profit. I am just so sick of seeing all those new buyers being lied to, fooled into buying and believing that Arverne will be a big success and promises being made that will never happen.
OPEN UP YOUR EYES PEOPLE and don’t let anyone fool you. If you really want to move here, you need to spend few days and nights here before you make the decision and walk on different streets, but be careful not to get shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 09:23 PM

196 posts, read 776,996 times
Is this place really that bad that you hear gun shots.These homes are to lovely to be near such violence.Does anybody think this area will change for the good?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 AM

33,385 posts, read 46,784,531 times
edrican, the truth is that the westernmost part of arverne by the sea abuts hammels houses, and they do shoot over there, so you may hear gun shots. keep in mind i said the westernmost part. after all it is the projects. but the area has improved dramatically from 10 years ago. my girlfriend lives in hammels, so i'm in hammels a lot. they do shoot sometimes, but this is at 1 or 2 in the morning, when decent working people are in their beds asleep. i'm a night owl so i'm always up. we must crawl before we can walk. i am a lifelong resident of far rockaway, and i am actually starting the process to purchase a co-op apartment out here (not at arverne by the sea though, because those are condos), and i really dont have plans to live anywhere else in my life. at the end of the day you can either listen to me, or go to an open house and see for yourself. they have open houses every saturday and sunday.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-11-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks I appreciate the advice,but I went to an open house about 2 years ago and I fell in love with it.I just hear people talking so negative that I have doughts about this place.Me Im a ocean lover and I am dying to live on or near the beach.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:29 PM

well then u know what it is already. i am a lifelong rockaway resident and the "outside presence" doesnt infiltrate into arverne by the sea.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM

821 posts, read 1,031,829 times
Look at Alphabets City and the Lower east Side's proximity to the projects. Apts in those areas are at rediculous rates. There is also alot more crack dealing in the Hammel projects than in those projects on the East side of Manhattan. The major difference is the beach access, but the schools in the Lower East Side are better than the schools in Rockaway.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Look at Alphabets City and the Lower east Side's proximity to the projects. Apts in those areas are at rediculous rates. There is also alot more crack dealing in the Hammel projects than in those projects on the East side of Manhattan. The major difference is the beach access, but the schools in the Lower East Side are better than the schools in Rockaway.
they're building a new charter school on beach 67th street, i'm assuming priority goes for ABTS residents. i went to public school in far rockaway from kindergarten through 5th grade, private school from 6th to 10th, and graduated from far rockaway hs. i want my children to get the experience of both private and public, it broadens their horizons, and makes them more well-rounded as an individual. i dont want to limit my child to one experience.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 PM

212 posts, read 697,316 times
rockaway was a threat to manhattan real estate interests back in the early sixties.they didn't want it to turn into an east coast "malibu beach".who would want to be rich and not live by the ocean.(any raised hands?lol thought not)so they bulldozed all the bungaloes and stores in to,....make rockaway a slum.they called it urban renewal.so they built lots of projects built by the "politically connected builders",and shipped all the dirt from manhattan here.let it rot and ferment for years until yhey couldn't stop it anymore.as a friend told me in los angeles many moons ago.we have projects,but there in the hills,not on the oceanfront.it'll take 20 more years but rockaway will be malibu east.right now its the only place i'd live in nyc.like anywhere,there are places to avoid at night.and don't be scared,....some people have darker skin.they are the same as lighter people.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:31 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,470,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
rockaway was a threat to manhattan real estate interests back in the early sixties.they didn't want it to turn into an east coast "malibu beach".who would want to be rich and not live by the ocean.(any raised hands?lol thought not)so they bulldozed all the bungaloes and stores in to,....make rockaway a slum.
Real estate interests...why do I have this notion that they should be taken out and shot, without benefit of a trial? There was a sleazy real estate scam going on in Brownsville/East New York about 45 years ago. I know this, because my grandmother owned a building there. They emptied out the neighborhood, intending to let it rot as a slum for a couple of years and then sell the buildings back to the children of the original residents...at a huge profit to themselves, of course. Their scam kind of backfired, you might say. But you have to give them points for persistence; the real estate industry just never gives up.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:42 PM

In the paper today they said the YMCA is set to go next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City