Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM

12 posts, read 35,955 times

Advertisements

Cgreen44 how long have you lived there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 35,955 times
sorry just reread saw that you have lived there for three years. We are moving foward with the house.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,099 times
The area is not Far Rockaway. Far Rockaway is the other side of the Rockaways. This area is Arverne. It is a up and coming area. Don't listen to the nonesense about crime. The precinct is the 100 and they have one of the lowest crime rates in the city. Look it up. Alot of cops, firemen, and military people live there. New shops just popped up and they are still building stores and places to eat. Also alot of entertainment. Alot of bars and some become clubs at night. Also drive over the bridge into Howard beach for more nite stops. Not to mention the boardwalk in the spring and summer. The boardwalk is being repaired right now to get ready for the summer season. Hot bars that are also night spots and places to hang out at during the day. Arverne By The Sea also throws nice parties. It will soon be the place to be and the homes are selling like hotcakes. The projects is ways down and those people keep that gang stuff in the PJ's because they know many cops live at Arverne By the Sea.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkjack103 View Post
The area is not Far Rockaway. Far Rockaway is the other side of the Rockaways. This area is Arverne. It is a up and coming area. Don't listen to the nonesense about crime. The precinct is the 100 and they have one of the lowest crime rates in the city. Look it up. Alot of cops, firemen, and military people live there. New shops just popped up and they are still building stores and places to eat. Also alot of entertainment. Alot of bars and some become clubs at night. Also drive over the bridge into Howard beach for more nite stops. Not to mention the boardwalk in the spring and summer. The boardwalk is being repaired right now to get ready for the summer season. Hot bars that are also night spots and places to hang out at during the day. Arverne By The Sea also throws nice parties. It will soon be the place to be and the homes are selling like hotcakes. The projects is ways down and those people keep that gang stuff in the PJ's because they know many cops live at Arverne By the Sea.
Slightly exaggerated, but I agree with the positivity. Unfortunately, the consequences of "Sandy" is a BIG blow, which will stall progress for, at least, a couple of years!!

The boardwalk, for example, will in no way, shape nor form, be rebuilt for Summer. There is going to be a rush job, just so *somethingJ will be there. The decision hasn't been made whether to build a full concrete or wooden boardwalk!

I'd like to know where these "hot bars" are in Arverne, but what is really fascinating, is a parade of black and hispanic Arnerne homeowners heading over to Howard Beach to eat, drink and party! LOMAO!

The projects is NOT "ways down"; BUT, imo, the subway tracks and nature of the area does create a physocogical barrier, which can easily be incented to cross, say by the new Super Stop N Shop, as well as all the other present and planned improvements.

Btw, did someone send a memo to the PJs informing the residents that "many cops live at Arverne"??? Frnakly, I wonder how a Cop can afford a $500K to $1M property? I also GREATLY doubt that Arverne is selling like "hotcakes" given Sandy and the state of the Rockaways! Though, w/o doubt, the Arverne developers certainly had sales in the pipeline. I wonder if folks have been awking for their deposits back and trying to back out of the contracts they signed, given Sandy, and the prospects of future storms and flooding.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Slightly exaggerated, but I agree with the positivity. Unfortunately, the consequences of "Sandy" is a BIG blow, which will stall progress for, at least, a couple of years!!

The boardwalk, for example, will in no way, shape nor form, be rebuilt for Summer. There is going to be a rush job, just so *somethingJ will be there. The decision hasn't been made whether to build a full concrete or wooden boardwalk!

I'd like to know where these "hot bars" are in Arverne, but what is really fascinating, is a parade of black and hispanic Arnerne homeowners heading over to Howard Beach to eat, drink and party! LOMAO!

The projects is NOT "ways down"; BUT, imo, the subway tracks and nature of the area does create a physocogical barrier, which can easily be incented to cross, say by the new Super Stop N Shop, as well as all the other present and planned improvements.

Btw, did someone send a memo to the PJs informing the residents that "many cops live at Arverne"??? Frnakly, I wonder how a Cop can afford a $500K to $1M property? I also GREATLY doubt that Arverne is selling like "hotcakes" given Sandy and the state of the Rockaways! Though, w/o doubt, the Arverne developers certainly had sales in the pipeline. I wonder if folks have been awking for their deposits back and trying to back out of the contracts they signed, given Sandy, and the prospects of future storms and flooding.
One of the buildings in Arverne By the Sea had to remove all the drywall in the lobby after Sandy. It's still not fixed. I ride past it on the bus every day.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkjack103 View Post
Not all of Far Rockaway is bad. There are a lot of beautiful homes in Far Rockaway, particularly in the section that has a lot of Jewish people (its mixed, some blacks and hispanics live there too). The Rockaways, like any part of NYC, have both affluent and poor communities.

With that said, the Rockawys have taken a huge blow in terms of real estate value post hurricane.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,579 times
Hi Has anyone's flood insurance rates changed after Hurricane Sandy?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There are not many activities for kids right now, but the YMCA is under construction and supposed to be finished sometimes next year so that will take care of that problem. As far as schools go, Peninsula Prep and PS 225 are the closest decent elementary schools to you, and those are on 109th and 110th Streets. Don't let the appearance of the playgrounds get you down. Remember we are a beach community that gets a lot of DFDs (down for the day). The playground at Beach 59th Street is in a worse area but the Parks Dept does a decent job at keeping it clean. If you're middle class you'll fit right in with the area. If you're not familiar with the Rockaways, you really won't have a reason to venture into the worse areas. You have Stop N Shop right there, so that's your supermarket, pharmacy, bakery and deli all in one. You won't find beachfront property this cheap in the city. I toured every model and the craftsmanship is pretty good. A little iffy on the interior stuff (closet doors that easily slide off the hinge) but overall good job. Ask me anything you want I've lived here for 31 years.
Just thought I'd add for future reference, that AVBTS has its own *community* playground for the residents' small children. I believe there is more than one.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Just thought I'd add for future reference, that AVBTS has its own *community* playground for the residents' small children. I believe there is more than one.
There are more than one, correct.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,431 times
Question to any ABTS current residents - How long did it take for you to get into your home from contract signing? I signed a contract in late summer of 2011, and here it is April of 2013 AND I AM STILL WAITING. Work on my place started recently (and I mean STARTED - like the digging of a hole where the home will be), and I'm wondering how long it takes from the foundation to closing, on average. Any advice would be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City