Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 05:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Took me almost 40 minutes to get to Grand Central between walking and waiting for the train, and the job was not right next to the Stamford train station. I did not get lost.
Yeah, unless you live right across the street from the place it can take a long time just to get to Grand Central from other areas in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Yeah, unless you live right across the street from the place it can take a long time just to get to Grand Central from other areas in Manhattan.
That's true. The people I know who make the NYC-Stamford/Greenwich commute live on the UES, and they all say the commute is not bad at all. If you live all the way downtown, or on the west side, it would be difficult.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 17,359 times
It takes about an hour to go from Stamford to NYC, though there are express trains that skip the local Greenwich stops.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 139,405 times
Thanks for all your help guys! The difference in pay is huge, but hopefully this will lead me to a chance at a higher paying job in NYC after a few years. I think living on the UES would make the most sense, though obviously I'd prefer to live further downtown. Any other thoughts on where to live? I feel sort of "young and poor" compared to the people living on the UES, but maybe I'm wrong. East Harlem is probably out of the question, from what I've heard. I have heard good things about South and West Harlem.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:18 PM

9 posts, read 42,586 times
Default Awful.

I'm one of the thousands of human cattle who ride the Metro-North EVERYDAY from Grand Central to Stamford. And back. Monday to Friday.

I urge you to take a sample rush hour commute in both directions for two days in a row, so you get a real sense of what this commute is like. First, the advertised travel time is a fraud. The train is rarely ever on time and MN is notorious for sudden equipment failures. What's advertised as 49 minutes easily turns into 60 minutes. Second, factor in your commute just to get to Grand Central (or 125th St.) in the a.m. Unless you live within a stone's throw of those depots, you have to factor in a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes to get there every day, whether you're walking or taking a bus, subway, or cab. Third, the monthly ticket costs almost $300 for what turns out to be very inconsistent and substandard travel conditions. There are many times on the way home into the city where you cannot even get a seat due to the crowding, and you're literally crammed like sardines with nothing to hold onto except leaning against other people for support. Fourth, when you do finally get home, you're so pissed off and tired that you end up talking yourself out of even enjoying the city nightlife.

Judging by the morose looks on my co-passengers faces, I can tell you that doing this trip five days a week round trip will suck the happiness out of your soul.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 PM

956 posts, read 1,207,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas73 View Post
I'm one of the thousands of human cattle who ride the Metro-North EVERYDAY from Grand Central to Stamford. And back. Monday to Friday.

I urge you to take a sample rush hour commute in both directions for two days in a row, so you get a real sense of what this commute is like. First, the advertised travel time is a fraud. The train is rarely ever on time and MN is notorious for sudden equipment failures. What's advertised as 49 minutes easily turns into 60 minutes. Second, factor in your commute just to get to Grand Central (or 125th St.) in the a.m. Unless you live within a stone's throw of those depots, you have to factor in a minimum of 15 to 20 minutes to get there every day, whether you're walking or taking a bus, subway, or cab. Third, the monthly ticket costs almost $300 for what turns out to be very inconsistent and substandard travel conditions. There are many times on the way home into the city where you cannot even get a seat due to the crowding, and you're literally crammed like sardines with nothing to hold onto except leaning against other people for support. Fourth, when you do finally get home, you're so pissed off and tired that you end up talking yourself out of even enjoying the city nightlife.

Judging by the morose looks on my co-passengers faces, I can tell you that doing this trip five days a week round trip will suck the happiness out of your soul.
It's because of the State of CT not investing in their infrastructure and buying new train cars. The M2/M4/M6 current fleet should have been retired about a decade ago so it's no wonder the cars are failing.

The M8s are suppose to finally debut this month on the New Haven Line, which will improve reliability and on time performance greatly over the coming years.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 AM

4 posts, read 26,454 times
Hello all, we are moving to NYC and our case is a little bit complex
My husband will work on Stamford CT and myself in Park Avenuew, in center of Manhattan........any proposal where to live?
I thought the obvious to stay in Upper east side (very close to my office) and he could commute with car (I have read that it takes an hour each way).....any idea/input/proposal?

Great thanks in advance.......

Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Move close(within walking distance) to Grand Central, basically midtown east. I have a few friends that live other there who commute to Stamford daily.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
[quote=nypsych;17854006]Hi all,

I'm choosing between a job in Stamford, CT and a job in Manhattan. The job in Stamford is at a much higher pay level. I'm wondering what the commute time is like if I commute from either Harlem 125th, the UES 80's, or Midtown. I could also drive but have been told that reverse-commute traffic is horrible. My job is right off the Metro North station in Stamford.

I am not looking for information about living outside of NYC. I know everyone has their opinions about the costs of living in each place. I am only concerned about the time in transit... I'd rather get paid a lot less to live in NYC than live elsewhere.

Anyone else commute in this direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice!![

I work in Stamford and catch the Metro North daily to Stamford. The New Haven line. All together takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours door to door from Harlem.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 PM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypsych View Post
Hi all,

I'm choosing between a job in Stamford, CT and a job in Manhattan. The job in Stamford is at a much higher pay level. I'm wondering what the commute time is like if I commute from either Harlem 125th, the UES 80's, or Midtown. I could also drive but have been told that reverse-commute traffic is horrible. My job is right off the Metro North station in Stamford.

I am not looking for information about living outside of NYC. I know everyone has their opinions about the costs of living in each place. I am only concerned about the time in transit... I'd rather get paid a lot less to live in NYC than live elsewhere.

Anyone else commute in this direction?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
I worked at RBS in Stamford and commuted for the first 6 months. It is fine and lots of people do it. The trains are relatively comfortable and frequent. If you find a place near 125 St or Fordham you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: