Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM

33 posts, read 109,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
One thing I had to force myself to memorize as a youngster was Lex-Park-Mad, meaning: From east to west the order is: Lexington, then Park, then Madison. To this day I still say 3rd-Lex-Park-Mad-5th in my head to not walk in a wrong direction and waste time.
Good tip! I've got it memorized now. My only trouble is memorizing lower Manhattan and all of those streets that run diagonally across Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:48 AM

33 posts, read 109,491 times
Default Ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
It gets easier, but I think everyone (yes, even if you've lived here your whole life) is a little confused coming out of a station that they don't regularly use. I typically just pause for a second to look at the street signs and reorient. If you know which way the avenues run (grimace's trick is handy), and know where you are in relation to some of the "landmark" buildings, it's easier.

Of course, for all of my regular stops, I know exactly where I am the moment I pop up.

(FYI, if you have a smartphone, you can use your phone's GPS. It works off the cell phone data service so it's not affected by the buildings.)
That's good to know. If I can see the Hudson or East River, I can tell exactly where I am, but the other landmarks I still have to memorize.

No smartphone here, but maybe it's time I get one!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM

69 posts, read 156,204 times
For some reason I have a compass in my head and I know exactly where I am going.

Downtown tricks me up though.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,590,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monetlily View Post
Good tip! I've got it memorized now. My only trouble is memorizing lower Manhattan and all of those streets that run diagonally across Manhattan.
LOL. Let's create a mnemonic like Roy G. Biv

Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,812,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarani View Post
For some reason I have a compass in my head and I know exactly where I am going.

Then your compass is busted.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM

82 posts, read 254,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monetlily View Post
Do New Yorkers memorize streets? Because when I exit the subway station, I never know which side I'm coming out of and usually end up walking in the wrong direction until I check the upcoming streets against a map. I've gotten lost so many times I think I could really use a GPS....Although, I've heard GPS doesn't work when you're around tall buildings, so that's ruled out...
Many subway station exits will note whether they exit to the Northwest (NW), Southwest (SW), Northeast (NE), or Southeast (SE) corner of the street.*

Given that the street numbers ascend as you travel further north (125th St. is "above", or north of, 42nd St.), and the avenue numbers ascend as you go further west (11th Avenue is on the West Side, while 1st avenue is on the East Side, with 5th avenue dividing E/W), you can figure out what side of the street you are on and which direction to travel in.

* Note that the Grid is slightly off true polar coordinates.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
There is also a system to the cross street building numbers:Street Locator for New York City

And the Avenue Address location formula:NYC Info - Manhattan Address Locator
I actually know a few people who have this Avenue address formula memorized

Old 02-21-2011, 05:12 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeeler View Post
That's not what he was asking.
It's not? Well, I'll be damned... Ahem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanbears View Post
Just wondering if there is a grid system in NYC, for example in chicago, roads have numbers to determine how many blocks they are away from the heart of the city. Is there a number system in NYC?
I think I not only told him that there is a numbered grid, but also that a certain number of blocks is a certain distance.

Seems you know myself better than I do, though.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarani View Post

For downtown I never memorize the streets, I just look up to find the familiar buildings and I know exactly where I need to go in relation to those.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM

69 posts, read 156,204 times
Well yea if you see Grace Church that leads you to broadway,
I usually look for that awful telecom building you know the large one downtown without windows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City