Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 AM

15 posts, read 70,536 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I know there are hundreds of these types of threads, hopefully I won't be repeating too much.

I'm from the UK and I've got a job transfer (but applying for visa through wife as she is a US citizen) and looks like we're moving in September, allowing plenty of time for any delays with visa (shouldn't be any, but best to play it safe).

Our office is near Union Square, but I'm unfamiliar with the subway system (never been to New York) and I want to at least start getting an idea of where I can look for places to live that have decent access to the area. Ideally I'd like to be able to travel directly and not have to change anywhere. But I'm pretty open to anything, I don't mind a commute (obviously areas close to the office will be too pricey), a 2-br appartment would be fantastic, but we'll see. I also understand I'll have issues as I won't have a credit history to begin with so will have to assess my options with that regard as well.

In terms of budget, at the moment they're offering me a salary of $70k a year (though closer to $80k with bonus) so I imagine I'll be looking at a max of around $1750 a month for rent, though I'm also hoping to do more research in terms of rental prices and general cost of living as I suspect I may need a larger salary, if I can back it up with the numbers I think they'll be reasonable in negotiations.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM

194 posts, read 1,203,114 times
You will have many options as alot of trains run through Union Square. Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, maybe Astoria and Woodside/Jackson Heights if you can find a spot close to the R or even the F isn't too far of a walk from Union Sq or the 7 u could transfer to an N at Qboro Plaza if you had to. Just search those neighborhoods to get an idea and google map the location of apartments and you will be able to see nearby train stops.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:04 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,775 times
Union Sq is very accessible from most Manhattan neighborhoods and the outer boroughs as well. With a budget of $1750/month, you'll need to look for a 1 bedroom, not 2, and you're priced out of a lot of neighborhoods.

In Manhattan, try Murray Hill or the Upper East Side. In Queens, try Astoria or Long Island City. In Brooklyn, try Williamsburg or Carroll Gardens.

Commuting from the Bronx or Staten Island would be a long trip, so I wouldn't recommend looking there.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Try Ditmas Park-Cortelyou Rd. area in Brooklyn. But make sure you get a place near the Q train. This will bring you directly to Union Square - I believe it is a 25 minute ride once on the train, but you can double check on the mta.info site (go to trip planner) or on hopstop.com.

In Queens you might try Sunnyside near the 7 train. You would have to transfer as the 7 doesn't go to Union Square, but I don't really think it's a big deal. (Astoria as mentioned above would work as well.)

I think it would be possible to find a 2 bedroom for $1800 in both neighborhoods.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,823 times
For the Union Square area, another option in your price range would be New Jersey--the PATH train is a short ride and you may like the look of the area around the Newport station or some parts of Jersey City or Hoboken.
Maps - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ
If you do a search on craigslist for NJ apartments and include "walk to PATH" you'll see there are options in your price range.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Something off the L train would be your best bet.

I wouldn't bother to look in NJ... You have enough $$$ to live in Brooklyn or Queens as long as you're not wanting something huge.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
If you stick to a one bedroom, you could live in a more desirable neighborhood than if you require a 2-bedroom on a $1750 budget. The areas I listed (Ditmas Park and Sunnyside) are fine, but if you want a more exciting NYC experience, you should compromise on apartment size and live somewhere livelier, imho.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:43 AM

15 posts, read 70,536 times
Thanks for all the replies, am making a list!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 AM

278 posts, read 636,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube View Post
Thanks for all the replies, am making a list!
I hope you're checking it twice!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:20 AM

257 posts, read 824,480 times
Jersey city (via Path Train), Hoboken(via Path train), and Williamsburg(via L train) are the three closest places to Union Square outside of Manhattan. Or anything located on the "N" or "R" train would be pretty easy. So maybe Astoria, Queens.

Williamsburg may be your best bet because the nicer areas of Jersey city might be out of your range. The nicer areas of Jersey city are Paulus Hook, Liberty Harbor, and Newport. Williamsburg has a reputation of being a hipster area, but it has diversified a little lately. Anywhere in Hoboken is nice (imo) but 1Br tend toward 2k, although I paid 1600 for a 2br a couple years ago. Hoboken is known for being a party/frat area. For Williamsburg, personally, I would stay near the Lorimar or Bedford stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City