Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 128,098 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the city and doing an internship at one of the big banks downtown, and I am living in a small room in Tribeca. I am trying to live cheaply because I'm still studying and don't have much money, but groceries are killing me. I am on broadway near franklin, and the place with the best prices so far seems to be the Fresh Market on Greenwich St, but they are ridiculously high. It's not really any cheaper than Fresh Direct, which I may start using if I can't find a more reasonable grocery store. Any suggestions? I know manhattan (and especially Tribeca) is expensive, but I know there's probably places that I just don't know about. The other day I discovered Chinatown for fruits/veggies, but I'm looking for a place with decent prices on stuff like cereals, dairy products, etc.

Thanks,
Luke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 06:58 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke77 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the city and doing an internship at one of the big banks downtown, and I am living in a small room in Tribeca. I am trying to live cheaply because I'm still studying and don't have much money, but groceries are killing me. I am on broadway near franklin, and the place with the best prices so far seems to be the Fresh Market on Greenwich St, but they are ridiculously high. It's not really any cheaper than Fresh Direct, which I may start using if I can't find a more reasonable grocery store. Any suggestions? I know manhattan (and especially Tribeca) is expensive, but I know there's probably places that I just don't know about. The other day I discovered Chinatown for fruits/veggies, but I'm looking for a place with decent prices on stuff like cereals, dairy products, etc.

Thanks,
Luke
hehehe welcome to NY's trendy living area, you'll need to travel to less hip areas, but the cab fare might eat up any savings. there's a pathmark way over on the east side under the fdr and the end of chrystie st, or you could path it over to JC and find a pathmark near the newport station, also consider going up to 14 st but I have no specific places to send you.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Union Square has the biggest Greenmarket in the city, with really fresh food, from the people who produce it and with good prices. Welcome to NYC.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
When we lived in Manhattan we used to take our "old lady" cart up the the Path Mark on 125th street about once a month to stock up on dry goods.
We save a ton on grocery's since we moved to Brooklyn.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:40 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
When we lived in Manhattan we used to take our "old lady" cart up the the Path Mark on 125th street about once a month to stock up on dry goods.
We save a ton on grocery's since we moved to Brooklyn.
Problem is those uptown stores are not well stocked.

Might want to try Costco in New Rochell. Haha.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:05 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Costco (and there's one right across the 59th St. Bridge - you don't have to go to New Rochelle) doesn't work because there's no place to store what you have to buy in such huge quantities. Try Fairway at 125th St. Fresh Direct is actually CHEAPER than D'Agostino (even with the delivery fee) but Union Square Greenmarket is really the best. A

Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Costco is great for a lot of little things you don't realize add up on your budget like, paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. I don't know if I recommend it for a city dweller's regular food shopping though because of the limited space you often have in an apartment.

You can still pick up some food items though and it is definitely worth checking out. Last time I went I picked up a lot of cereal, this pretty big variety pack of seasoned chicken cutlets I was able to store in my freezer, also picked up some cartons of eggs I made space for in my fridge. It's definitely worth checking out, you just have to be realistic about what you can fit in your apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City