Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 08:57 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin666 View Post
The Bronx - No Thonx
So says the guy with 666 after his name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Lol..that made me laugh. I find most people who "hate" the Bronx are those who know little to nothing about it. They go to one place and paint a broad stroke....I wonder if they stepped foot in East NY and thought all of Brooklyn was that way, or Chelsea and thought all of Manhattan was that way.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
It hated mainly because the high concentration of poverty throughout the borough. Which equals crime.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,167,258 times
Ah, da Bronx.

I grew up in the Bronx. I refuse to ever even consider moving back unless things change.

There are two types of neighborhoods in the Bronx:

-Economically depressed ghettos.
-"Boring" residential neighborhoods with 1+ hour subway commutes to Midtown/Downtown.

The Bronx needs gentrification. Unfortunately it's a long way out. I think the Grand Concourse neighborhoods have the most potential for this. The Bronx west of Park Avenue. Subway access, Upper Manhattan density, mixed zoning. Unfortunately it's not happening yet. Eventually though I hope.

Pelham Parkway near White Plains Road has a shot. Its a decent area now and has density along with good mass transit. The Allerton corridor to the north seems to getting crappier though. I don't know about Kingbridge/Norwood, great potential but people are relocating there from ****ty areas. The Parkchester complex has been improving, but not the area around it.

The other "good" neighborhoods like Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay,Country Club, Riverdale are boring but besides becoming more diverse remain largely middle class.

North Bronx is getting a lot of poor relocators.

Revitalization somewhat in certain areas like Melrose and other South Bronx corridor areas, much needed improvements but nothing very appealing to those with money or the young. There is also the lack of solid mass transit and amenities. There will always be a lot of poverty in those areas but the lack of anything make them very undesirable.

The Bronx is largely undesirable to the young professionals and college students that are molding this city.

Best bets for gentrification:
-Bronx west of Park Avenue to Norwood, although current migration trends state otherwise. May be temporary though depending on economy. Best potential build wise (transit, density, zoning)
-Pelham Parkway/White Plains Rd.
-Parkchester complex.
-Areas south of the Bruckner Expressway around Alexander, Brook, Willis.

Areas getting obviously worse but future potential:
-Allerton/White Plains Rd and anything north along that corridor north due to density, mass transit, mixed zoning. Seems like ll the low income people are moving there though.
-Kingbridge by the 1 Train, same reasons as above.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM

15 posts, read 28,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I dont keep tabs on how often crime is in Harlem vs the Bronx, and neither do you. Street level crime is covered all over...the media no doubt exploits stereotypes, which is why a rich white banker going to jail, or a black murder victim, or an Hispanic with 5 kids, always makes news.

I just love how you assume you know people better than they know themselves.

Now that, that is out of the way, I know your from the Bronx & you love it very much, but nobody likes a person who thinks they're a know-it-all. I've seen you around these forums & you always make it seem you know every last bit of New York especially The Bronx & that you know it better than anybody else & that nobody knows what they are talking about.

I've been living in Brooklyn for over 15 years & I dont know everything yet about the Borough, even though I look for new things everyday, but yet I dont know everything about it, just like you dont know everything about The Bronx.

I'm sorry to have said that, but it's really been bugging me.

Now, despite the fact I live in Brooklyn, I love The Bronx & people from my neighborhood always tell me to stay away from The Bronx because it's dangerous & when you step foot on that piece of land you'll get shot, they say this because they've never been there. So to them The Bronx is still in the 1970's era.

& it really pisses me off when people say The Bronx is the most dangerous borough! Every time some crime comes on the news about The Bronx, everybody says, look The Bronx is dangerous! But when Brooklyn has crime on the news nobody gives a hoot (even though today, Brooklyn is considered to be the most dangerous borough.)

Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Ah, da Bronx.

I grew up in the Bronx. I refuse to ever even consider moving back unless things change.

-"Boring" residential neighborhoods with 1+ hour subway commutes to Midtown/Downtown.

The Bronx needs gentrification. Unfortunately it's a long way out. I think the Grand Concourse neighborhoods have the most potential for this. The Bronx west of Park Avenue. Subway access, Upper Manhattan density, mixed zoning. Unfortunately it's not happening yet. Eventually though I hope.

Pelham Parkway near White Plains Road has a shot. Its a decent area now and has density along with good mass transit. The Allerton corridor to the north seems to getting crappier though. I don't know about Kingbridge/Norwood, great potential but people are relocating there from ****ty areas. The Parkchester complex has been improving, but not the area around it.

The other "good" neighborhoods like Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay,Country Club, Riverdale are boring but besides becoming more diverse remain largely middle class.

Revitalization somewhat in certain areas like Melrose and other South Bronx corridor areas, much needed improvements but nothing very appealing to those with money or the young. There is also the lack of solid mass transit and amenities. There will always be a lot of poverty in those areas but the lack of anything make them very undesirable.

The Bronx is largely undesirable to the young professionals and college students that are molding this city.

-Bronx west of Park Avenue to Norwood, although current migration trends state otherwise. May be temporary though depending on economy. Best potential build wise (transit, density, zoning)
-Parkchester complex.

-Allerton/White Plains Rd and anything north along that corridor north due to density, mass transit, mixed zoning. Seems like ll the low income people are moving there though.
I agree with you. GENTRIFICATION is the answer!!!

A high income demographics has to set its roots in the Bronx and create a pocket where young educated professional can reside at. Then hopefully a trend will form that will enlarge the gentrification pocket to other areas to the point that word gets around that the Bronx is improving and it is no longer an oasis for the low-income/undesirables that created this mess in the first place.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelhambrnx View Post
The Bronx is definitely the worst borough in terms of condition, but with that being said, it is definitely becoming better.

After I get a job & make some money I'll hopefully move to the Bronx, some ideas I have, Castle Hill, Parkchester, Pelham Bay, Country Club or even Baychester.

I think the reason The Bronx has a bad rep is, because of the media, especially the liberal media. If you've noticed the media barely makes stories of crime in Harlem. This is because, after the decline of crime in NYC more hipsters started moving into Harlem. So the liberals dont want to make their neighborhood sound bad & there are no hipsters in The Bronx so they dont care about that, so they'll make it sound as bad as possible.

Now the most hated borough is, Staten Island. The reason? people say because it's very similar to jersey & it's a dump. it's not true, the real reason is, it's the most republican borough, while the majority of the other boroughs are democratic.
you do know that the most Republican areas in the city are in South Brookyln.

I think the real reason for SI rep is the borough has less then 500,000 people while the other boroughs have more then 1,000,000 people. There are no Subway. ext.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
To Nykiddo - I know people in Norwood and Bedford Park who would be considered gentrifiers (not hipsters). Price is a big motivator. We (professionals!) moved here because we could afford a house. In the Times they had an article about how many young professionals can't afford to buy anything and profiled a couple of teachers who had lived in a basement in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. If that's you too, then I'd say--go back to your basement already!

Seriously, this area has a lot going for it, but some people will never move to the Bronx because of the reputation - or I think mostly for fear of what other people will think. I knew someone who said she would never even live in Bronxville because it had the word Bronx in it. But these are not the type of people I would choose for my neighbors anyway. The professionals I know here are more upper Manhattan types than Brooklyn types.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
To Nykiddo - I know people in Norwood and Bedford Park who would be considered gentrifiers (not hipsters). Price is a big motivator. We (professionals!) moved here because we could afford a house. In the Times they had an article about how many young professionals can't afford to buy anything and profiled a couple of teachers who had lived in a basement in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. If that's you too, then I'd say--go back to your basement already!

Seriously, this area has a lot going for it, but some people will never move to the Bronx because of the reputation - or I think mostly for fear of what other people will think. I knew someone who said she would never even live in Bronxville because it had the word Bronx in it. But these are not the type of people I would choose for my neighbors anyway. The professionals I know here are more upper Manhattan types than Brooklyn types.
Yes the perception of the Bronx has got to change in order to attract Gentrifiers (higher income people).

The Norwood section of the Bronx is a nice little pocket that Gentrification would flourish in. Close to mass transit, shops, highways and lots of parks. It's a stable community with a mix of middle class and working class people. Norwood isn't too far gone (poverty wise) like other Bronx neighborhoods which makes it ripe for GENTRIFICATION. The potential is there.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Ah, da Bronx.

-Parkchester complex.

I agree with this to some extent and is currently happening under certain trends. BRonx west of park avenue from bruckner to Norwood to gentrify lol not. Only Bronx west of park avenue from bruckner to 167 street might see some developlment and rivitalization and some gentrification the areas more further north is a drug hot spot like Washington Heights was back in the day plus its too far from Manhattan. Its even hard to gentrify Mott Haven, can a landlord buy out a Mexican couple with 5 kids or a Single Dominican mom on section8 with baby daddy trouble who lives in the tenements, hell nah. Pelham Parkway wont even see in gentrification and I know some people in that area that fear Pelham Parkway my go down hill. Things are happening in the Bronx but it happening slowly. Everyone wants these young professionals and hipsters to move and to improve the Bronx but some of these Young professionals are not good honest people themselves. I work with Transplants and many of them are my friends. Thier are surprised that Im from the Bronx and dont smoke any weed like Kush or Haze. I was in a party with this Yuppie Transplants and this one chick snorted coke, poped and e-pill and smoked some weed right after. You want these type of people to move to the Bronx. I know a cali girl who engadges in white slavery. These are the types of people you want to move to the Bronx. These people are no better than ghetto low life thugs who plague this borough. What the Bronx needs is honest hard working people that care about community and family, sadly people of greed like landlords and politicians dont care about anymore. Life is not about Starbucks, iphones and flip flops and also life is not about Jordans, fitteds and Hennessy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City