Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM

37 posts, read 44,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
I love the Bronx and desperately want it to change but I must say I do agree with this post. The Bronx is NOT a diverse borough at all and Roybar precisely pointed that out above. While you have your nice areas in the Bronx like Riverdale, Morris Park, Pelham and Throgs Neck, the rest of the borough is a dumping ground for poor people, sick people, drug addicts, people on Section 8/welfare, etc.

The racial demographic of the poor areas of the Bronx which make up the MAJORITY of the Bronx mainly consist of either blacks or hispanics. That's why I mentioned in another thread that GENTRIFICATION or some form of it is required in the Bronx to water-down the undesirable poor population I mentioned above.

The presence of these poor people in the Bronx can not be ignored as their conduct and street lifestyles are too much "in your face" to miss or tolerate. This demographic unfortunately dominate and have a strong-hold on the Bronx hence giving its horrible reputation. This is a perfectly good reason as to why white people are afraid to move here. It's like a culture shock for them. And if they do gather enough courage to move to the Bronx, being in the minority or the "only white person on the block" isn't a good feeling to have.
I agree with you. I am originally from Queens. I lived in the Bronx for several years now. I was hoping that would change too. I have noticing that the Bay Plaza have getting a makeover with the addition of the new fashionable shopping mall. It's about time!

BTW, I'm African American female living in the South Bronx. My boyfriend used to live with me. He used to fear about being the only white guy in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcoolio View Post
Okay bronx isnt that bad riverdale, pelham bay, van cortland, etc are beautiful places! And the south bronx got alot better. STOP HATING ON THE BRONX! The beautiful yankee staduim, botanical garden, bronx zoo i mean yes it isn't as great as manhattan and the others but its getting their. People are still on the 80's bronx, GET OVER IT. There aren't alot of minorities that mix in together ( mostly blacks and hispanics) but you no what there are still lots ( indians are a growing number). do you know how much awesome people lived in the bronx? Regis philbin,Ralph Lauren, sonia sotomayor, JLO, etc and there are alot of educated people who lives in the bronx so leave the bronx alone!!!!!! The end...
Billy Joel, Bobby Van, Tony Curtis, Diahann Carroll, Dion and Belmonts, Jimmie Walker! Rob Reiner, Carl Reiner, Bess Myerso , Edie Gorme, Joey Bishop, just to name a few are from the Bronx.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
The Bronx has plenty to offer. It's actually more parkland than residential and commercial.

The *** is up in the south bronx, once the landlords stop accepting programs, and fix up the apartments. Most will move out of state or triple up in houses north of Gun Hill Road. They won't be able to get into the middle class neighborhoods, because they would have done so already in huge numbers.

Fast food remains because, let's face it, most don't want to eat healthy. Fresh food costs money to maintain. Most bodega owners in lower-income neighborhoods will tell you that if you speak to them. Fresh food is also expensive. You find plenty fresh food on Pelham Parkway, Pelham Bay, Throggs Neck, Kingsbridge, etc. The demo of those hoods are more educated, make more money, therefore make healthier food choices, so the owner/operators, cater to that.

Whole Foods market and Trader Joe's are stores who look for a specific income demographic (whole foods looks for spaces over 20,000 square feet, a college educated demographic that makes over 100K a year, trader joes has similar criteria) Aldi, which is a trader joes off shoot for a more generic product actually has a store on Gun Hill Road.

NYC also has a zoning problem that prevents large new grocery stores from moving in. They have to have enough spaces for parking, per square foot. with nyc rent rates, no reasonable chain could make a profit, hence why you see Western Beefs, C-Towns, and the other Local owner operated markets. They started the FRESH program to try to combat this. It all depends on your store owner/operator. Do they care? Most don't. I think the Bonavita Key Food on Westchester Avenue in Pelham Bay would rival any gourmet market. Because they care!

Most new chain supermarkets open near the city border lines. There is a new Fairway in Pelham, and a new Whole Foods in Yonkers, if you need your fix. These stores won't open in the bronx, or any other boro, unless the numbers are right. The demographics who use these products, already live in neighborhoods where the access is close, and who the grocery store is likely to target. Northeastern Middle Class Bronx Neighborhoods.

I could go on and on, but there are many forces at play as to why the bronx is the way it is...... But one thing, it's changing!
I live in the Bronx but I feel that the Bronx do not has much to offer. Sure, it has large beautiful parks and shorelines. And there are extraordinary people like the Irish stepdancers from the Bronx school - none of the dancers are Irish except for the teacher. The stepdancers are black and Hispanic. There is a new ice skating rink at Van Cortlandt Park.

Other than that, the borough nothing to offer. That is the reason I don't hang out in the Bronx. Instead, I often to go Westchester County or the other four boroughs. I am a frozen yogurt fan. I had to leave the Bronx to get my fix until I learned back in March that a frozen yogurt/smoothie shop on Tremont Avenue in Schuylerville.

I hope that will change because I think the Bronx could be better than what it is right now. The borough has potentials.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The scene off the 4 train stop at 183rd street is pretty depressing. What a slum.
whazzup supermario!

bx = so much potential its disgusting. but on the flipside is the "hipsterization" of the bronx

Old 12-11-2012, 03:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Wow alot of negativity about the Bronx! What a shock! There is a level of "roughness" that is prevalent in many neighborhoods, but I thought we as NYers prized this fact, and represents the "real" NY that is quickly being replaced by Starbucks, Applebees, and those darn organic granola types??

Typically those who speak poorly of the Bronx don't know much about the borough except for driving through on the highways, or their limited experiences from many years ago. I challenge anyone with a disdain for the borough, to take a real tour by a local ( I am happy to volunteer my time) and see what is really happening across this great borough. Or you can just continue to spout nonsense...choice is yours.
My apartment was wrecked by hurricane sandy in Far Rockaway. So I moved to the North Bronx. I like it. Quiet, families, etc. I can do basic grocery shopping right where I live. For certain purchases I definitely have to live the area, but that is true for many parts of the country. Or I can order online.........

Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
My apartment was wrecked by hurricane sandy in Far Rockaway. So I moved to the North Bronx. I like it. Quiet, families, etc. I can do basic grocery shopping right where I live. For certain purchases I definitely have to live the area, but that is true for many parts of the country. Or I can order online.........
Welcome to The Bx,Writerdude !

Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, welcome to the Bronx NyWriterdude and thank you for giving the Bronx a shot. Please spread the word to all the non-believers who think the Bronx is one big ghetto.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat2do View Post
A dumping ground for homeless shelters and social services for homeless,drug addicts, etc.

Yes The Bronx has come a long way. Vacant lots now have buildings. Big businesses moving in. But the people are pretty much the same. POOR, and UNEDUCATED. Spread throughout.

I lived here all my life and ready to leave. I like the changes to some areas but the people living in these areas hasn't change at all.

The sad part about The Bronx and any neighborhood is when a someone brings something to the neighborhood. Nobody appreciates it and ends up being destroyed. Ungrateful and don't see the big picture. I've seen small business go up and end up closing shop because people are ungrateful.Just want to destroy other peoples property.

I wonder how some of the white folks moving into the South Bronx are doing now that they are buying up properties that are cheap but surrounded by projects no matter what direction they walk in. Good luck to you and hope for the best.
Westchester County so pretty and has a lot to offer. I hope things in the Bronx will change. I like what the Hutchinson Metro Center is doing for the east Bronx.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM

I like the Bronx. Still I think it could do better and be a little more affluent. I remember Howard Stern said that the only nice part of the Bronx is Riverdale.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,027 times
Howard Stern, while fairly entertaining, is not a Bronx expert clearly. Riverdale has some very lovely areas, but Woodlawn is very nice as well. No mansions, but lots of nice modest homes in a largely safe and stable area. Woodlawn much resembles much of the Bronx prior to the assualt on the Blue Collar working white class in the city by malicious PC liberals who hosed them soundly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City