Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM

770 posts, read 1,125,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

In a poll in the early 1970s on business climate in the tri-state area, high taxes and poorly performing schools were among the factors which saw the shift of jobs to the South and west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM

33,402 posts, read 46,840,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
In a poll in the early 1970s on business climate in the tri-state area, high taxes and poorly performing schools were among the factors which saw the shift of jobs to the South and west.
Why would poorly performing schools result in a shift of jobs that required little education? That doesn't make sense.

What does make sense is that as technological advances were made, the use for certain aspects of the manufacturing business became defunct.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Why would poorly performing schools result in a shift of jobs that required little education? That doesn't make sense.

What does make sense is that as technological advances were made, the use for certain aspects of the manufacturing business became defunct.

If you look at other responses to this, I cited the impact of increasing automation on low skill workers and how those without a good education could not compete in the increasingly complex job arena.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
If you look at other responses to this, I cited the impact of increasing automation on low skill workers and how those without a good education could not compete in the increasingly complex job arena.
Yeah exactly. The increased use of machinery and robotics decreased the availability of factory jobs. Having a low education level only compounded the situation, but it was not the cause of the scarcity of manufacturing jobs available.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,319,456 times
WebsterAveGuy has his belief, regardless of facts or TRUE history..so he will rewrite history to suit his agenda, and make up the rest to support his argument. Of course, I will not allow the unbridled spread of revisionist history or made-up facts....

Great article 7th!

Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
WebsterAveGuy has his belief, regardless of facts or TRUE history..so he will rewrite history to suit his agenda, and make up the rest to support his argument. Of course, I will not allow the unbridled spread of revisionist history or made-up facts....

Great article 7th!

You know, the political Commisars of the French Revolution did the same thing.

Shall we name you Fouche?

Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,319,456 times
You know, the political hacks/opportunists at Fox News and company rewrite history all the time.

Shall we name you Hannity? Coulter? Palin?

Old 12-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Ctfu....on another note, the technological advances in travel contributed as well. The main thing what made NYC a global powerhouse is that it's on a natural harbor. Find a landlocked city in the world that had an alpha rating, you won't. But look - JFK Airport opened in 1963. Cargo planes. Easier shipping, less need for boats. Come on son! Liberals had nothing to do with the manufacturing decline. And as world players like China got into the game and started playing dirty, it was a wrap. We started buying/outsourcing from other countries to be cheap and that was a major mistake.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Ctfu....on another note, the technological advances in travel contributed as well. The main thing what made NYC a global powerhouse is that it's on a natural harbor. Find a landlocked city in the world that had an alpha rating, you won't. But look - JFK Airport opened in 1963. Cargo planes. Easier shipping, less need for boats. Come on son! Liberals had nothing to do with the manufacturing decline. And as world players like China got into the game and started playing dirty, it was a wrap. We started buying/outsourcing from other countries to be cheap and that was a major mistake.

I concur, as the rest of the world 'caught up' we were still fat, dumb and happy. The most troubling aspect is how bad our education system is now. Few Americans realize that India's middle class alone is LARGER than the entire population of the US. Their schools are improving, while ours produce middling students, in part due to a lack of family discipline and social standards. China is going to eat our lunch.

We have to change our orientation in schools. We spend hugh amounts of money on the lower third, we need to move that money to the upper third--why? So they can build the economy of tommorow. If we don't get our sh.. together, we will be worse than Great Britain in the 1970s.

I don't watch Fox much, but MSNBC should be titled Pravda. I read from a variety of sources like the BBC, C-Span (it can get dull I can tell you), etc.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,831,511 times
Quote:
I concur, as the rest of the world 'caught up' we were still fat, dumb and happy. The most troubling aspect is how bad our education system is now. Few Americans realize that India's middle class alone is LARGER than the entire population of the US. Their schools are improving, while ours produce middling students, in part due to a lack of family discipline and social standards. China is going to eat our lunch.

We have to change our orientation in schools. We spend hugh amounts of money on the lower third, we need to move that money to the upper third--why? So they can build the economy of tommorow. If we don't get our sh.. together, we will be worse than Great Britain in the 1970s.

I don't watch Fox much, but MSNBC should be titled Pravda. I read from a variety of sources like the BBC, C-Span (it can get dull I can tell you), etc.

You should actually speak to people who have worked in Asia, including Asians. China and India will eat out lunch. You've still got a massive undereducated basis in those countries, that's partially why US companies can offshore work there. Surely don't don't think those people who get worked to death making IPhones at Foxconn are top level engineers?

If you go to Roosevelt Avenue, you'll see the Asian pimps and hookers posing as massage therapists. Not all Asians come from sterling families. You've crime and drugs among them as well.

In terms of having truly talented people, that's a minority among any country, culture, or race. Asians are no different. Most people in China and India are poor, and are in no danger of becoming wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City