Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 38,248 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm 21 and I've been accepted to graduate school at both Columbia and Univ of London. I've spent every summer in London for the past five years, but spent only 3 days in NYC. I'm a bit torn on which place would be best. Here's what I'm looking to have answered: I know my professional opportunities in both places, but I'm looking to find more about the quality of life.

I always feel like I have a lot to do in London (easy acess to the rest of Europe for travel, and I love the history and just walking around), but I feel like NYC boils down to work, shopping, eating out, and going to the gym. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never lived there so I'm not sure.

I'm also concerned about which city will be easier for me to meet people/date. I won't be in school until the fall so I'm going to have the whole summer living in a new place and I'm not sure which one will be easier to meet people in before I start school.

Cost of living isn't really an issue, so it boils down to quality of life. I'm concerned that NYC is too work-centric and I don't want to get caught up in some rat race/quest for perfection.

Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
I've never lived in London, but I have spent more than three days there, so I can hopefully give you some perspective.

I don't think you will have trouble meeting people in either city. From my travels, I met plenty of 20-somethings throughout Europe and, living in NY, I can tell you that there are just as many here in NY. Both cities are great in that you can have an active social life involving all sorts of people.

I think your perception about what there is to do in NYC is based more off of touristic experiences than an actual true-to-life experience. I love the history NY has to offer—the architecture, the unique tucked away places, the variety of neighborhoods and the mix of ethnicities and cultures from all around the world. I typically spend weekends doing some of the things you mention (eating out, the occasional shopping trip, etc.), but I also love spending time in the gorgeous parks, going to gallery openings and museums, and all sorts of other events. Everything you can do in London (bar easy access to other European countries), you can do in NY. I don't think three days is enough time to realize that, is all. NY also wins the weather battle, in my opinion, but I also moved from a warmer climate and I need my sunshine.

You should also think about what you want to do in the future. If you want to work in the States, you'd be wise to choose Columbia. It *is* an Ivy League, which does hold a lot of prestige in many fields. It's up for debate, but many also believe the American university system to be much better than the English system. YMMV.

Whatever you choose, flights between NY and London aren't expensive and it's not a super long flight. Both cities are fantastic and I don't think you'll be unhappy either way.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:33 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
I've lived in both places and it is definitely a TOUGH decision. I also did a graduate degree in the UK (up in Manchester though) and I'm currently a grad student at Columbia, so I've experienced both educational systems.

It really depends on your field, but I've found my graduate work at Columbia to be much more fulfilling than my work in the UK, but that's also because the program I did in Manchester was much more theoretical while Columbia is much more practical. This won't be true of all fields/programs, but it is definitely worth looking into. I was MISERABLE in my UK grad program because the professors and the program just weren't supportive of students taking their research to the next step and creating theater, while Columbia's grad program is all about the hands-on approach. You may find that one program offers significantly more opportunities for your style of learning and you should do that.

Now, if both programs are pretty much the same, I'd personally chose London but that's because I love traveling through Europe and I left behind some incredibly wonderful friends and an awesome job when my visa expired. In my dream world, I'll one day have a place in both cities and split my time between NYC and London. I'm sure that doesn't help you much, but look for the little things (cost of schooling, cost of living, ability to work, etc) and never forget that you don't HAVE to stay in the city you choose for the rest of your life.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,036 times
Yeah, London and New York are the two greatest cities in the world in my opinion. In my 20s and 30s I'd prefer to live in New York for the fun, excitement and fast pace. I could imagine living in London in my 40s and 50s and using it as a base to travel around Europe, Africa and the Middle East, that would be incredible. Aside from being one of the best cities to live in, the good thing about London is you can be in Paris in 2 hours (probably my 3rd or 4th favorite city in the world along with Tokyo) and have cheap flights all over Europe. You'd never get bored there. Whereas, in America, and even in North America, every city is very similar outside of NYC.

I'd probably take NYC if you've lived in London for a bit. The NYC experience is priceless, plus the Columbia alumni network is pretty powerful in NY and good to take advantage of for opportunities when you graduate.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. My professional opportunities are basically equal in both and I really don't have a preference on where I work, I'm more concerned with quality of life. Which one gives the best opportunity to develop friendships, relationships, feel happy and relaxed and not constantly go-go-go (although I realize there needs to be some aspect of that to succeed).

Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Also, do you have any insight on how life is for a female in each city? I've obviously watched shows like Gossip Girl and the city and have heard stories about how you can't go out without make up on and everyone is a size 0 and you feel quite judged in new york. i've just recovered from an eating disorder and i do not want to throw myself into that mentality by any means. I know in London I always feel I can go out with no make up and messy hair and no one cares--any input?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
What’s the difference between London and New York? Manhattan.

I’m not trying to glib. London is very spread out and hardly anyone, except diplomats and the aristocracy, lives in the heart of London (i.e., The City, Westminster, Kensington/Chelsea). The majority of people live much further out and commute (which takes a long time and the Tube doesn’t run 24 hours a day like the Subway). It’s more like living in Brooklyn.

It’s expensive, but comparatively ordinary people can live in the East Village or Chelsea and have so much within walking distance. It’s not like that in London.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siennaf89 View Post
I've obviously watched shows like Gossip Girl and the city and have heard stories about how you can't go out without make up on and everyone is a size 0 and you feel quite judged in new york.?
You've watched too much Gossip Girl if you think ANY of that is true.

People here run the gamut. Sure, there are supermodels and stunningly beautiful women, etc., but for every supermodel, there are 10,000 ugly people, if not more.

I'm attractive and dress well, but it's definitely not because I feel judged if I don't—no one gives me a sideways glance when I take my dog for a walk looking homeless.

It seems like to me that you're trying to find every possible thing wrong with NY, e.g. for some reason, you think that your friendships, relationships, personal and professional contacts would be drastically different if you were to choose one city over the other. They won't be; you just need to choose what resonates with you the most.

Last year, I had the option to move anywhere I liked and NY won out. Would I have been happy elsewhere (London, Chicago, Paris, etc.), sure, but NY just resonated with me more than the others.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It’s expensive, but comparatively ordinary people can live in the East Village or Chelsea and have so much within walking distance. It’s not like that in London.
This is true. You definitely get a lot more in a smaller package by choosing NYC over London.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times
With a population of over 8 million, most New Yorkers don't pay much attention to people around them since, on a daily basis, they know they'll never again see most of the people they pass. For the most part, people are focused on their own issues and don't care how you look. Some women do put pressure on themselves to look a certain way (size 0/fashionista) in order to attract men. But if that's not your primary goal, then don't worry about it. Be yourself.

As far as making friends, it's harder to make friends in London than in NYC. The English are quite reserved and introductions always seem to be a prerequisite for relationships to develop. People tend to maintain the friendships they've had from childhood and seldom let newcomers in without formal introductions. Whereas New Yorkers tend to be a lot more approachable, less formal--especially in a university setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: