Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,786 times

Advertisements

Just found this...

According to Donnie Walsh, Carmelo Anthony was set to sign an extension before the end of the current collective bargaining agreement. And he apparently would have agreed to do so with the Nets as part of an extend-and-trade transaction between Denver and New Jersey.
"I don’t think it would have happened, getting Carmelo [in free agency], because he would have signed an extension," Walsh said.
David Aldridge reports that Anthony was letting it be known, just prior to completion of the trade with the Knicks, that he was headed to the Nets.
"As late as Monday afternoon, Anthony was telling people he thought he was heading to New Jersey, since the Knicks were holding onto center Timofey Mozgov," writes Aldridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:07 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
According to Jim Rome (whether or not you accept him as a legitimate source is another issue, but he did say this, and only today)...the Nets were just Denver's patsies, suckered into "trade talks" to do nothing more than force the Knicks to pay more than they would've had to otherwise.

Well, the whole thing is irrelevant now, anyway. The deal is done, and Carmelo Anthony is a Knickerbocker. If we as Knick fans are truly fortunate, we won't have to hear the name Isiah Thomas ever again. Do I think we're going to be so lucky? No. James Dolan has to be one of the least rational owners in the NBA. He's got the idea in his head that Thomas is some sort of magic cure-all, even after watching the man aim his franchise straight into the toilet.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
According to Jim Rome (whether or not you accept him as a legitimate source is another issue, but he did say this, and only today)...the Nets were just Denver's patsies, suckered into "trade talks" to do nothing more than force the Knicks to pay more than they would've had to otherwise.

Well, the whole thing is irrelevant now, anyway. The deal is done, and Carmelo Anthony is a Knickerbocker. If we as Knick fans are truly fortunate, we won't have to hear the name Isiah Thomas ever again. Do I think we're going to be so lucky? No. James Dolan has to be one of the least rational owners in the NBA. He's got the idea in his head that Thomas is some sort of magic cure-all, even after watching the man aim his franchise straight into the toilet.

It's entirely possible. My gut says he was never going to Jersey and Denver wasn't going to just let him walk so by Thursday at 3pm, whatever the Knicks wanted to give them, they would have taken. That's all irrelevant though. I rather not roll the dice. Especially if Melo's people were coming back to the Knicks saying he's going to the Nets if they don't ante up. I mean, Walsh is a basketball genius but he's not a mind reader. He gutted a .500 team to build something much much better. If not this year, then next and for the following 5-10 years. They say the team that ended up with the best player involved got the better part of the trade. By those standards we win and it's not even close.

As far as Isiah... *deep exhale*... The thought literally pains me. But it pains me more so because it would mean Dolan screwed Donnie. Listen, Isiah did a terrible job (except he drafted pretty well), but I don't think the moves he made were THAT bad in the moment. Not as bad as what Scott Layden was doing. The moves Isiah made were moves everyone was behind. All five boroughs wanted to bring Marbury home. We had Frank Williams starting at PG for us! Eddy Curry had endless potential when we got him. Even Jerome James had a great playoff showing right before we signed him to our size-starved roster and while he didn't deserve the full MLE that offseason we needed a center badly (ironically we got Curry not long afterward). And what about bringing Larry Brown in to coach? That was a no-brainer. Or so it seemed... Oh, and I wanted Jamal Crawford and Zack Randolph too. And I wasn't alone. Most Knicks fans wanted all these guys (albeit their contracts were ridiculous), they were/are good players. My issue with Knicks fans is how everyone turned their back when all these guys didn't work out and acted like they never wanted any of them. I'll stand here and tell you all day what I was thinking when these deals were going down. I was in agreement with Isiah, but the thing is, it's not MY job to know better. It was HIS job. And for that he takes full blame for piecing together a product that blew up in all our faces. Just like if it woulda worked out those cheering him on wouldn't have gotten any credit. And don't get me started on the whole sexual harassment thing. Ugh. I want that man nowhere near the Garden. Ever. Not as President. Not as GM. Not as a "special consultant." Not as a popcorn vendor. Not as a homeless man living underneath the Garden in Penn Station. And Dolan is a loser. He doesn't think Isiah is a genius, he's just irrationally infatuated with him. It's a friend thing, not a business thing. And they're both just delusional enough to compliment each other.

And to the dude earlier who asked who was gonna supply the offensive spacing for this team now, that's a valid question. There's a couple options. Expect Bill Walker to get a lot more minutes and if Kelenna Azubuike were to return and be semi-productive sooner rather than later that'd really do us justice. In the mean time though Billups, Douglas, Shawne Williams and Mason (might have to dust him off the bench) can all hit threes. Fields too. And here's to hoping that Corey Brewer is a better shooter than I think. In the long term though we'll get our 3-point shooting from the same place the Miami Heat did: sharpshooting roll players who are willing to take less to have a chance to play in a glamorous market and compete for a championship. We'll be fine either way.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM

239 posts, read 305,966 times
Newsflash people: very few teams win titles without at least two star players.

The Knicks wouldn't have (ever) went anywhere with their current line up of second rate players prior to Carmelo. They now have the opportunity to build around their two stars and finally create a championship winning team.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post

The Knicks wouldn't have (ever) went anywhere with their current line up of second rate players prior to Carmelo. They now have the opportunity to build around their two stars and finally create a championship winning team.

That's what I was telling people. If 'Melo got away then that was pretty much it for us potentially competing for championships while Stoudemire still has good knees. I mean we could have gone and tried to pair Chris Paul or Deron Williams with Amar'e but that wouldn't have gotten us past Miami, Boston or even Chicago probably. It was 'Melo or bust. I prefer the former no matter how much I liked Gallo, Chandler and Felton.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Good trade. Having some all-stars on the team will make future free agent signings easier.
Exactly. The more talent you have, the more talent you'll get. The Knicks are playing chess right now.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
I take it you're a few years younger than I am. I can actually remember the Knicks' two championships (1970 and '73). They did it by playing as a team, not by having two stars do all the work with everyone else standing around like bumps on a log.

If some club was to show up and play that team-style basketball, nobody else in the league today would be able to handle them, because nobody else has any idea how to do it any more. Two stars? Nonsense. Give me a team where anyone on the 12-man roster could set foot on the court and do the job, and there's your next champion.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:57 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,248,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I take it you're a few years younger than I am. I can actually remember the Knicks' two championships (1970 and '73). They did it by playing as a team, not by having two stars do all the work with everyone else standing around like bumps on a log.

If some club was to show up and play that team-style basketball, nobody else in the league today would be able to handle them, because nobody else has any idea how to do it any more. Two stars? Nonsense. Give me a team where anyone on the 12-man roster could set foot on the court and do the job, and there's your next champion.

Great post.

Also some defense wouldn't hurt.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,248,316 times
This trade isnt working. The roster is filled with iso players now. No ball movement. Look at how long Amare, Billups, and Melo hold onto the ball. It's incredible.

I'm starting to think the Knicks were a better team before the trade. Before the trade, the Knicks problem however was still Dantoni, he has to go.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM

87 posts, read 227,914 times
i was against the idea of the trade since the beginning and this is a nightmare... cant grade the trade completely yet, theres still a lot that can be done and hopefully itll work out

but i dont think there are two 'stars' with amount of holes in their game then anthony and stoudemire. billups looks old as hell, takes dumber shots then felton (i didnt think that were possible) and is looking weak defensively. although hes only a rookie, fields value was a little overrated before the trade because of dantonis offense. half court he looks awkward with the ball and makes a ton of mistakes.. i dont see him getting much better although hes decent on defense and rebounds the ball. maybe because it was because of salary reasons, but i would have kept gallinari instead of fields even if he didnt fit in with anthony in the starting 5. not keeping mozgov is actually biting us in the ass.

as far as dantoni, remember the main reason he was hired was to lure lebron james.

a. randolph has been killing it lately too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City