Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times

Advertisements

Are they still doing these? And out of curiosity, can anyone provide a reasonable argument in favor of them? I'll be visiting New York in a few months, and it's going to be difficult for me to avoid telling off the cops who will be violating my 4th Amendment rights and wasting my time. It's pretty obvious that a terrorist will either go to the next station, or just blow him (or her) self up right on the sidewalk, and I don't have a lot of tolerance for stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 AM

16 posts, read 45,979 times
I've been living here and taking the subway for three years and have never been searched. I think you'll be fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:41 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Are they still doing these? And out of curiosity, can anyone provide a reasonable argument in favor of them? I'll be visiting New York in a few months, and it's going to be difficult for me to avoid telling off the cops who will be violating my 4th Amendment rights and wasting my time. It's pretty obvious that a terrorist will either go to the next station, or just blow him (or her) self up right on the sidewalk, and I don't have a lot of tolerance for stupidity.

If i this remember right as i was there in Dec time frame trip.. There is signs up saying that you can be searched and your bags can be searched and i was stoped at one of the entances to the subway.. The officer said to me after hearing me speak and finding the printed out maps of the diff places wth the subway's way stops on them i was going to that day for business ... Up here on business and i go yes and he tells me to watch out for this train and time's not to be rideing it and it better to take the cab back to the hotel if i'm going to be out after 10.pm and i asked where a great late local greasy's spoon place is in the area and give me address of a place and wrote down the place street address and told me to tell the cab driver to take you here when your done for the night ..

Most of the officer's i have met up there are pretty cool and not really a ---head inless your a a$$ to them ..I mean how many officer's you meet know's where my home town is in Utah and can tell me about it the area for he was stationed there at the Dugway Army base up north of the area and was telling me about the hikeing trails he used to go on when stationed there and i told him that i would be back up here to live and he goes welcome the New York City and have a safe trip ..

So it depends on your treat them and they will treat back the same way and there is allways the ---head type in work force no matter where are at ..

Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
I have no idea what's up with that picture. As for the bag searches, they began in 2005. I haven't seen any recent articles about it, nor could I find any record of discussions on here. Apparently they aren't that common if nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Judge: NYC Subway Bag Searches OK - CBS News

Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
During your visit to New York, be sure not to smoke cigarettes in Times Square and Central Park or eat trans fats and too much salt. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Quote:
Yes, they still have random searches. I haven't been stopped in 4 years. If you don't like it, take a taxi. We have 20,000 of them.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:25 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,110 times
Quote:

Then I suggest you don't visit NY, or when you do visit stay above ground and ride the buses, because they, the cops that do the searches, have no tolerance for stupidity either.

As being a NY'er the searches only take a few seconds and yes my bag has been search and they are random and pop up just about anywhere. It's a part of our daily life.

We are a HUGE city that lost thousands of people because of terrorism so your 4th Amendment right doesn't count here especially when it comes to searching your bag.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
First, I haven't heard of anyone having them lately, and never ran into them personally.

Second, however, there is no need to get into an argument with a cop. You can simply decline, and leave.

However, I'd be eager to hear how you'll react to airport scanners/searches, which to me are far worse.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
I've never been stopped for a bag search, and honestly I've never seen anyone being searched. I've seen plenty of police in the subway, doing other duties but not searching. If I got pulled aside for a random search I wouldn't make a big stink about it...

Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
I have no idea what's up with that picture. As for the bag searches, they began in 2005. I haven't seen any recent articles about it, nor could I find any record of discussions on here. Apparently they aren't that common if nobody knows what I'm talking about.

Judge: NYC Subway Bag Searches OK - CBS News
This "news" story you are referencing is 6 years old.Things must be really boring wherever you live to get worked up over a 6 year old piece of "news."

Not sure you should visit NYC because there are likely to be things you will see/experience that will really provoke you if you get worked up so easily.

You are planning a trip to NY and this is what you are researching? This is your biggest concern?Most people are more concerned with where to stay or where to eat or what sites to see.
Maybe you are a terrorist just checking things out.....to find out how easy it will be to blow up our subway ?

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-24-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City