Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,806 times

Advertisements

Hey, we're a young gay professional student couple (law student and med student) looking into moving to Brooklyn from Manhattan at the moment. We're familiar with the "typical" neighborhoods for such a move but are looking for something cheaper, and have found a connection through my boyfriend's law school to take over a lease in Prospect Park South, at Woodruff Ave and St Pauls Pl.

I don't know a whole lot about the area other than that it is not the nicest neighborhood and that there probably isn't much going on, but I was curious to hear some perspectives, especially for a gay couple, in the area. We are comfortable living in a mostly black neighborhood; I'm white but grew up in a black neighborhood in NJ. The issue is more one of security and of what, if anything, there is nearby in terms of amenities (groceries, drug stores, gym, etc.).

I know the usual advice would be to visit, but we're hoping to make a decision on whether to take this opportunity by the end of the weekend (for fear of losing it to someone else, as the price is only $1000/mo. for a full 1 bedroom, and the pictures look far from tiny or shabby), and unfortunately we will both be leaving for Boston tomorrow evening and don't have the time to check it out any better than Google Street View provides.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 41,193 times
Hi Guys,

I was just in the neighborhood today checking out a place I am taking on Church Ave & Ocean Ave. I took a walk around the area and it seemed fine. I also checked with some of my friends who are native NYers, as well as on this thread and I have gotten some mixed reviews, but mostly good. Fine during the day, and use your street smarts at night and watch your back. Stay west of Flatbush is the other advice I got.

I spent a few years (5) in Washington Heights and this neighborhood reminds me of that area before it really started to gentrify. Some chain stores and some mom and pop stores - but you can see where it is going to go. I also saw a small sprinkling of white people, a good handful of Hispanics and a large Caribbean population.

Personally I decided to make the move - and I am gay and white. I felt fine in the area. Hope this helps!

Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I wouldn't live there. I would live closer to Windsor Terrace closer to Prospect Park West.

The other side of the Park isn't the greatest. So I check the box no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City