Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 53,658 times

Advertisements

hi,

I got an offer at a private school in CT, but I also got an interview at another private school in Manhattan. The CT school wants me to make a decision very soon. So does anyone know what the salary range is for a teacher with 10 years of experience and a MA makes at a private school in NY? How does it compare, in general, to CT?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:47 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
10 yrs w/ma in private school is probably 85 to 95.It really varies depending on school,subject,etc.Salaries in NYC private schools can be erratic from school to school.

It might be less than the salaries in Ct. because the public school salaries in NYC are considerably less than in Ct.I'm a NYC teacher and teachers with the exact number of years experience ,education,etc in Ct and Westchester schools make about $15,000 more per year than in NYC.

Salaries of private school teachers that I know in NYC are more like the salaries of public school teachers in Ct,Westchester,LI,New Jersey.

You also have to be careful to compare apples to apples.In public schools there is a substantial pay hike after 10 years so the difference between a a 9 and 10 year teacher salary is much bigger than the diff between 5 and 6 year or 8 and 9 years.Also make sure you compare only teachers that have only 1 masters degree if that's what you have.I have 2 masters plus 30 so my salary is more than another teacher with the same classroom experience and just the 1 masters and more than some teachers with more experience and less education.There are a lot of factors that go into an individual teachers salary.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-25-2011 at 05:19 AM..

Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 53,658 times
I actually have a Masters and doctoral credits, on the way to finishing my Ph.D. My subject is foreign language. With that information, do you have more specific ideas about my salary range should be? And I'm wondering how much, on average, is the increase of salary each year based on what you know? Thank you!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:01 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gxhgz View Post
I actually have a Masters and doctoral credits, on the way to finishing my Ph.D. My subject is foreign language. With that information, do you have more specific ideas about my salary range should be? And I'm wondering how much, on average, is the increase of salary each year based on what you know? Thank you!
I don't know how much more specific anyone can get.It's not like public schools where there is a strict formula that depends on exact years of experience and exact levels of education.Private schools have a lot more leeway to negotiate.All that can be said is that the private schools generally pay substantially more than the public schools but it will vary from school to school.

I do have a few former NYC public school colleagues who left the NYC system to teach in NYC private schools and they all make more than I do but by varying amounts because they are at different schools.We all started teaching at the same time and have almost identical credentials but our salaries now range from a low(me) of 81,000 to a high of 98,000.I make the least because I am the only one still in the NYC public school system.

Same with the yearly salary increases,if any.They will vary widely from school to school.In many public schools(including NYC) there have been no salary increases for the last 2 years and there probably won't be any anytime soon.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-25-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 24,025 times
Default Did you get a response?

Hey....Did you get any information on that?? I got an offer for a teaching position in a private school in Manhattan, but I don't know what the pay is.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxhgz View Post
hi,

I got an offer at a private school in CT, but I also got an interview at another private school in Manhattan. The CT school wants me to make a decision very soon. So does anyone know what the salary range is for a teacher with 10 years of experience and a MA makes at a private school in NY? How does it compare, in general, to CT?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
A pay differential of $15K between NYC and Connecticut will be eaten up with the cost of living differences, and NYC resident tax if you chose to live in the city.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 15,433 times
How many years will I get credit for after working 14 years in a private school in dade county

Old 04-19-2017, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,674 times
Questiion: I feel like I should ask for an increase in salary. But looking for advice??

I went back to teaching full-time 3 years ago. I took time off to raise my family. I will be going into my 4th year at a renowned private school in NYC; The Heschel School. I teach 2nd grade and love it. However, it is a demanding job mostly because it is a dual language school. I was offered 59K 3 years ago and accepted that offer because I really didn't do any research on saleries and it sounded good. Since then I have received a 3.5% increase. Next year it will be roughly 65K. Now, I realize after becoming well established in the school with excellent parent/teacher rapport and relationships. I'm also known to colleagues as very collaborative and easy to work with. All that said, I had 10 years of prior teaching in the public schools in Westchester and think I left teaching making 41K (27 years ago) I feel I should ask for a pay increase to 70 or 75K. Thoughts??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City