Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,325 times

Advertisements

I always laugh at "hip hop" being the reason kids commit crime. NO one and I mean NO ONE blamed the Matrix when those "trench coat mafia" kids shot up Columbine... and as a D&D player from way back, I have yet to kill anyone in a 20 sided dice induced fuge.

There is so much crap music out there, to single out rap/hip hop is racist. Are we not getting mad at the exploding teen promiscuity epidemic, but still upholding what ever "barely legal" looking tart is the talk of the town this month? I don't know, maybe im getting old, but I dont blame music (or video games) for the worlds problems, - maybe if more parents were able to be home to raise their kids we'd be in a better spot in society. (shakes fist at crowd)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
ehh..I would say the ghetto subculture as emulated by Hip Hop (in some forms) could have a negative effect, but so can everything in this world that we define as "ok": religion, politics, media, television, internet, corporations, etc. If you want to blame hip hop for corrupting kids, then we should also blame religion, politics, corporations etc for having an even worse effect on kids/families/society.

Why single out Hip Hop when we almost had our entire global economy spun into depression by greedy/corrupt corporations!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
This girl is so obviously bi-racial (black/white). I wonder if she wasn't trying to "prove" how "black" she is by running guns or drugs or whatever she was doing for her thug piece of Moderator cut: Inappropriate language"boyfriend". Trying to prove she's not a "sellout" and has "street cred" and all the other ignorant and stupid nonsense they preach in "da hood". I'm sure she'll be a "star" in prison.
i doubt it. Black people do come that light, i dont think shes mulatto

The problem is the inability of the youth to seperate reality from fiction. Nothing more nothing less

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-22-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
i doubt it. Black people do come that light, i dont think shes mulatto
FYI, "mulatto" means a person who is bi-racial with one black parent and one white parent.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
FYI, "mulatto" means a person who is bi-racial with one black parent and one white parent.
um i knew that. Im trying to say that i dont think she is bi-racial just black

Old 02-28-2011, 03:15 PM

28 posts, read 67,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Future View Post
I always laugh at "hip hop" being the reason kids commit crime. NO one and I mean NO ONE blamed the Matrix when those "trench coat mafia" kids shot up Columbine... and as a D&D player from way back, I have yet to kill anyone in a 20 sided dice induced fuge.

There is so much crap music out there, to single out rap/hip hop is racist. Are we not getting mad at the exploding teen promiscuity epidemic, but still upholding what ever "barely legal" looking tart is the talk of the town this month? I don't know, maybe im getting old, but I dont blame music (or video games) for the worlds problems, - maybe if more parents were able to be home to raise their kids we'd be in a better spot in society. (shakes fist at crowd)
Yeah, the Matrix weren't blamed... but death metal and violent video games like Grant Theft Auto were blamed. Continuously. Did you live under a rock?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Let's face it. Young Afrika isn't the first girl in the world to fall in with the wrong dude and she won't be the last. I think its probably just dumb young love (or maybe good hot sex) more than being corrupted by Hip Hop.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
And one other thought on Hip Hop. Sure a lot of it is crap. As Theodore Sturgeon, the writer once said when someone criticized him for writing "just" science fiction, "Ninety percent of EVERYTHING is crap."

Same with Hip Hop. But at its best it is the authentic version of alienation--not just here but around the world. And that can be very very good. Google it and you can seem how folks from Solidarity in Poland to the recent Egyptian and Libyan revoltuionaries have used the music to build some very good things in their culture. Wish stuff like that made the news instead of this dumb NY Daily News article.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
um i knew that. Im trying to say that i dont think she is bi-racial just black

Sorry.... I thought your post said you think she's mulatto.

Anyway, she's definitely not 100% black. Her skin color and her features aren't those of a 100% black person. She's absolutely mixed (black/white). I'm sure part of her defense will be something along the lines of her white father not being in her life and her mother doing whatever she could to raise her child in the ghettos of Harlem, blah blah blah, blah............

Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waferdanos View Post
Yeah, the Matrix weren't blamed... but death metal and violent video games like Grant Theft Auto were blamed. Continuously. Did you live under a rock?
NOPE - I think we are in agreement - I am an avid gamer and hate the way Fox News and others, but mostly Fox derides games as the be all to end all - their latest hit piece on Bulletstorm pretty much said the game will incite rape...come'on Fox news - rape?

Oh, but I do sometimes wish I lived under a rock, sounds nice and quiet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: