Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,806 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am one of those people from a small town who dreams of living in NYC; not making it big in NYC, but just living there. I'm from a small town called Daleville, Indiana, population 1,600 and something. I went to NYC for the first time when I was 13 and I fell in love with the place. I've been to NYC many times since and I'm going back again this summer. I'm in college at the moment, undecided.

So the questions I have are what major or career do you think I should look into if I'm wanting to work and live in NYC? Like what type of jobs and careers are in demand?

For example, I wanted to major in Nursing, but I hear people saying NY is saturated with RN's due to hospitals closing down in recent years and so landing a job as a nurse in NY would be difficult.

The college I go to has a top ranked Education program and I don't know if it would help my chance in getting a teachers job in NY.

Input please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
NYC could lose 4,675 teachers to layoffs, Bloomberg says | SILive.com

Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 PM

159 posts, read 407,009 times
fashion, finance, law, architecture

Old 03-02-2011, 04:30 AM

22 posts, read 61,664 times
The economy is always changing. Depending on how old you are, what you 'plan' on moving to New York for now might be out of demand by the time you graduate. If you ask most college graduates if they are doing what they majored in, most will probably answer 'no'. (different graduate/professional school focus, other career/life choices)

It is very cliche, but 'study what you love'. Get good grades and when you graduate you will be happy with what you chose and your satisfaction will not be tied to the economy of NY!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:49 AM

22 posts, read 48,399 times
I would say don't make NYC's job market the end-all be-all in what determines your major. Just because you 'fell in love with NYC' when you visited doesn't mean you will love living there. Trust me, they are two very different things. Why not save money and pursue an undergraduate degree at home? That way you can save some money for what is truly important, graduate school. And you could do grad school in NYC to jump into the waters of its labor market early and gain connections. The job market isn't much good for anyone at the moment but I would suggest avoiding jobs that are limited primarily to the public sector as government at all levels is broke and they are cutting left and right. I don't think it matters as much as you think though, because by the time you are out of school like others have said the economy will probably look quite different (NYC is an always-evolving place). I do know they still have a real need for good math, science, and special education teachers if any of those areas are of interest to you. Find something practical and time-tested that is diversified in public/private sectors and difficult to outsource. Combine that with internships and work experience. Do not just be a student, brand yourself. NYC likes aggressive people who know what they want. Be that person. Good luck to you!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
If you are interested in education, a specialization in special ed or math/sciences will take you far. Bloomberg's current budget spares all special ed teachers. Beware, the work is tough and as a new teacher you will probably end up with a rough population.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
go for it.

i had wanted to live in nyc ever since i watched sesame street.

my ex-girlfirend and i did the exact thing you are dreaming of. sold the car and moved to nyc with 1200$ however i did have an old high school buddy who lived in the city so i had a place to stay for three months while looking for work and a place to stay.

it took two months to find a job (cold caller on wall street) and one more month to find a studio apt.

finding a place to live is harder than finding a job.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
No jobs are in demand right now anywhere. Jobs are scarce that's why so many people are unemployed.

Hopefully by the time you graduate things will be better.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Focus on your career. Nursing is a difficult profession that requires a specific personality. If you don’t like doing it, you’re going to be miserable. The same goes for teaching.

There are very few careers (agriculture) that are completely untenable in New York. It’s more about being really, really good at what you do, and it helps to go to a good school. It’s a controversial thing to say on this board, but school rank really matters in this town.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
You can't chose your college major based on the City you wish to move to. Finish your education first, decide what you want to do, save your money (it's expensive here) and then think about moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City