Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
Sure why not? Anything that will spark positive change to the Bronx I'm for. All these check cashing places, bodegas and liquor store need to go!

Replace them with internet cafes, barnes and noble, apple store, trader joe, whole foods, starbucks, etc.
Eventually that'll happen.
Like it or not every borough (maybe Staten) will grow for the better.

The whole "hood" won't diminish just yet, but the city will never stop growing and building where ever they please.
Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not.

I AM happy Brooklyn is even in talks for getting an Apple store.
I'm a loyal customer and I'd love to be able to stay in my Borough for everything!

Oh and I can't stand the term "Outer Borough" I've never heard/seen that before, until I came here.
Is that a transplant thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Oh and I can't stand the term "Outer Borough" I've never heard/seen that before, until I came here.
Is that a transplant thing?
No. It's not.

The NY Times has been using the term in headlines about housing for at least 30 years, if not 50.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No. It's not.

The NY Times has been using the term in headlines about housing for at least 30 years, if not 50.
Oh. Typical.
I've never heard a native anywhere in the city refer to any borough as an outer borough.

I guess, So if I'm from Brooklyn every other borough would be the "Outer Boroughs"?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Oh. Typical.
I've never heard a native anywhere in the city refer to any borough as an outer borough.

I guess, So if I'm from Brooklyn every other borough would be the "Outer Boroughs"?
Yeah, but I've heard PLENTY of Brooklyn natives use the phrase "I'm going into the city" which means they are going to Manhattan. So you can't have it both ways.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,I want the village brought to The Bronx not the UES.Please god,don't bring the UES to the Bronx.
Hmm, the Village not USE, insteresting. Care to explain?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:08 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
Wow. You have some feelings of UES, do you mind sharing? I live next to the Upper East Side and consider it is nicer on the other side of 96th street.
It's OK. It's just that if a Manhattan neighborhood is going to be brought to The Bronx,the UES wouldn't be on my list of choices.I'd rather see the EVillage,the W Village,the UWS,FIDI,SOHO,NOHO,TRIBECA,Morningside Heights or 1 of those places. I find all of them more fun and interesting

Old 03-04-2011, 03:47 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
They have them in Manhattan, one in Queens, even some in Westchester but none in the Bronx or Brooklyn for that matter! Trader Joe's is pretty much is like the Whole Foods Walmart or poor man for those of you that don't know. They sell rather more healthy foods but at cheaper prices and slightly lower quality (most the foods still taste the same to me) and unlike Whole Foods, it's strictly shopping. I have shopped at Trader Joe's a few times and the saving on healthy foods are ridiculous compared to places like Whole Foods are other big name or stores that charge an arm and leg. Plus, you can find healthy foods that are hard to find at regular supermarkets like Sun Flower Seed butte or Almond butter (as opposed to Peanut butter) and stuff like protein shakes that are a lot more cheaper than like GNC prices.

The only problem with shopping at Trader Joes is that I have to travel a distance to shop there since I live in the Bronx. Once in a while I'll go to Queens or Westchester (by car) to shop at Trader Joes or if I am on foot I'll by small stuff in Manhattan. However, for all the talk that the Bronx doesn't get enough healthy food stores that I hear a lot of the time, I think Trader Joe's would be great for some of the more poor or middle working class people in the Bronx or even Brooklyn for that matter. It'll be a great way for people to be encouraged to shop more health consciously.

What are your thoughts?
Just my 2 cents........

Trader Joes is, is over priced designer food that is far from health... Read the labels and you will see that most of the items are not made in America, have loads of sodium, and other ingredients that one can not pronounce... The Eco-Myth of Trader Joe ...................
Inside the secret world of Trader Joe's - Aug. 23, 2010

also

you want healthy food here's a great site an your buying AMERICAN grown.

Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Last edited by 30STM; 03-04-2011 at 04:14 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 04:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Like all stores, you have to choose what you buy carefully. I agree that many of Trader Joe's processed foods aren't that great for you, but you can't beat the prices on basics like steel cut oats, cereals, and pasta. I buy local when I can (greenmarket), but we don't grow much grain in the tri-state.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The New York Times is also heavily biased in favor of Manhattan, so condescension on their part towards the other four boroughs is hardly surprising. Quite the contrary, it's the norm where they're concerned.

As to Trader Joe's in the other (not outer) boroughs...there's one in downtown Brooklyn.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
They have them in Manhattan, one in Queens, even some in Westchester but none in the Bronx or Brooklyn for that matter! Trader Joe's is pretty much is like the Whole Foods Walmart or poor man for those of you that don't know. They sell rather more healthy foods but at cheaper prices and slightly lower quality (most the foods still taste the same to me) and unlike Whole Foods, it's strictly shopping. I have shopped at Trader Joe's a few times and the saving on healthy foods are ridiculous compared to places like Whole Foods are other big name or stores that charge an arm and leg. Plus, you can find healthy foods that are hard to find at regular supermarkets like Sun Flower Seed butte or Almond butter (as opposed to Peanut butter) and stuff like protein shakes that are a lot more cheaper than like GNC prices.

The only problem with shopping at Trader Joes is that I have to travel a distance to shop there since I live in the Bronx. Once in a while I'll go to Queens or Westchester (by car) to shop at Trader Joes or if I am on foot I'll by small stuff in Manhattan. However, for all the talk that the Bronx doesn't get enough healthy food stores that I hear a lot of the time, I think Trader Joe's would be great for some of the more poor or middle working class people in the Bronx or even Brooklyn for that matter. It'll be a great way for people to be encouraged to shop more health consciously.

What are your thoughts?
IDK about the Bronx but I have seen one in Brooklyn. I think it's on Court or Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City