Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM

239 posts, read 306,655 times

Advertisements

Aren't they so cute? It feels like I'm living in a movie set with hoards of people snapping photos of my building, my block, the streets, where I grocery shop, etc.

Today, I even had a group of tourists ask if I was a NYer and if so, could they could take a picture of me. LOL

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-03-2011 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:42 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,164,177 times
When my daughter was little (7 or 8 yrs old) - she had very long hair (to her thighs) and thick and curly. One day we were approached by a group of Japanese tourists who were fascinated with her hair and asked us if they could take pictures.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM

769 posts, read 2,052,697 times
Very true. I see annoying tourists every day in front of my building. Apparently many of them have never seen a good looking, well behaved dog before because they constantly take pictures of my dog when we walk him. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they do not. And they always want to pet him. They stop to ask as a ton of questions. I recently started taking the back door of my building on the way to work and from work just so I don't have to fight my way through the hoard of tourists invading the front street.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,841,924 times
When I worked on Broadway in Soho I always found a lot of lost tourists asking for directions along grand street. Also, when I attended school at 40th and 7th I had a lot of people ask me where Times Square was.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
When I worked on Broadway in Soho I always found a lot of lost tourists asking for directions along grand street. Also, when I attended school at 40th and 7th I had a lot of people ask me where Times Square was.
That's great, lol.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 PM

756 posts, read 2,280,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAC NY View Post
Aren't they so cute? It feels like I'm living in a movie set with hoards of people snapping photos of my building, my block, the streets, where I grocery shop, etc.
Yes! I live in a classic West Village walk-up and virtually every other day there are people photographing the building or taking photos of themselves on the stoop, acting like they live there.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:22 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,841,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That's great, lol.
It really was. Apparently a lot of people think there is some kind of sign that says "Times Square" also they think it is an actual square shape. Someone also asked me "where the new year begins"

Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM

174 posts, read 415,343 times
I would be very grateful for tourism to this wonderful city It brings in lots of $$$

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,734 times
Well it IS basically a giant movie set. To most people, New York is a glamorous and magical far off distant place that only exists on TV and in the movies. Most of the world only gets to see it temporarily and for a short period of time so it remains very surreal to them since they're only used to seeing it on TV.

We're just used to it so we don't see the same things that other people see. Our eyes are so desensitized to all the craziness and it's just normal to us. When tourists see an NYPD car, they immediately think they're in some kind of movie and it's hard for them to reconcile in their mind that they somehow have been sucked into this surreal dimension. It's just like being a Starwars fan and suddenly being thrown on to one of the spaceships or far off planets and seeing R2D2 and C3PO casually walk by like everything is normal. It's really no different. My first instinct would just to be gazing at everything in disbelief, walking slow, taking pics and just being in constant bewilderment - no different than most first time tourists to NY.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 PM

33 posts, read 133,173 times
The interesting question is how do New Yorkers react as tourists in other cities/towns/countries? Maybe it's because New York has desensitized me, but I can't ever get into that gawky /camera happy mode. I think my boyfriend took a few shots in Boston once because of the architectural details on some things were stunning and he's a big building buff, but we never took couple shots either in front of anything important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City