Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 9,647 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've done a good bit of research on this website, and just wanted to try shouting out my details and get some advice.

I just got a job (my first full-time out of college, yes!), I'll be working right near Grand Central. Making 38k (which is low, I know) and I'm worried about finding a good place to live. With that salary, I figure 1,000 and lower is all I can afford. Seems like Queens is my obvious choice considering commute, plus I like food and diversity (I am half-Japanese). Also being part Japanese, I am afraid of danger (haha), and would prefer a safe area. I am from the Baltimore area and frequent that city often, so I know that the dangerousness of cities can be misrepresented via word of mouth and media, but I still want to make safety a priority.

More specifically, I am having trouble finding good websites with apartment listings, and want to avoid using Craigs list, for obvious reasons. I have some cash saved up and would be willing to use a broker+all the costs involved, but only if it means I can secure a good place. I have figured out that in Queens, Astoria, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Jackson Heights seem like good areas to start.

Basically, I am asking for:

1. Good apartment listing websites.
2. The status on brokers (are they worth it, are they honest)/any good websites there
3. Other suggestions for location considering my price range/salary.
4. All other pertinent advice/encouragement would be appreciated - I am nervous about this move; I don't know anyone in NYC and don't have a lot of time to spend settling in.

I know that this is asked a million times over, but I feel like every case is a little different. Thanks for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
You should definitely look at Sunnyside and Woodside as well (Sunnyside being my top choice between those two). Why aren't you considering roommate situations? I would think this would be ideal for you, especially as a starting place.

A few other neighborhoods that could work for you are Rego Park and Elmhurst. I pesonally don't love either one, but they would be options for you to find a place on your own in your budget and they both have good transportation via subway. Elmhurst is extremely immigrant-based and quite a bit of the shopping along Broadway is ethnic (Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, South American, etc.) Elmhurst is also home to a very large mall, Queens Center Mall. The neighborhood is a good value if you don't mind being in a very non-American, non-hipster place.

If you are willing to even consider roommates (and I think you should) check the Queens section for roommates on craigslist to see what things look like. new york rooms & shares classifieds - craigslist

I could PM you a place to look at reviews of Astoria brokers, if you'd like. Let me know.

The only other sites that I have heard of friends using for apartment searches are nybits and streeteasy. And roommateswantednyc (if you are willing to go for a share).

Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
$600 is about as much as you realistically can afford. You need a roommate, with whom you could share a 1 bdrm for$ 1200.

What will be your take home pay? Someone else might know specifically, but I guess $300 or so per week. You can't afford $1000 month.

So, your first quandry is that you don't know anyone, but need someone to share expenses.

Perhaps a roommate finder service s/b your priority; and, of course there is Craigslist.

JFYI, there is a fair sized community of Japanese in and around the Broadway subway stationin Astoria.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
$600 is about as much as you realistically can afford. You need a roommate, with whom you could share a 1 bdrm for$ 1200.

What will be your take home pay? Someone else might know specifically, but I guess $300 or so per week. You can't afford $1000 month.
What??? What calculations are you using? The OP could realistically spend about $950 per month on rent.

Take home pay of $300 per week is around $16,000 per year. Taxes here are high, but not THAT high.

Once again, you don't seem to know what you're talking about, or you just can't read.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
If you feel it intelligent to pay $950 out of roughly 12 to 1300 per month then go ahead and starve.

$350, one week's pay, for everything but rent, you're right, I don't know what that's like and hope to never find out.

If that's your circumstance, I suggest you find a second job!

Oh, and let us consider, first job, first budget, alone, yeah, every kid out of school is an expert/money manager, NOT!

Nit-witted, nit-witted, nit-witted...

Yours is the recipe of homelessness. The slightest mistake and there you are.

Young, homeless and white, I see that in Astoria

Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,102 times
*nubile*

I apologize in advance

Old 03-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
$350, one week's pay, for everything but rent, you're right, I don't know what that's like and hope to never find out.
WHERE, pray tell, are you getting the number of $350 per week? At $38,000 per year, the OP will be taking home more like $600 per week after taxes, if not a bit more.

P.S. Part of my suspicion regarding your numbers and knowledge is due to the fact that you told someone that 1-bedrooms in Manhattan start at $2,500—a "fact" that everyone knows is not true.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
I don't know how good this website is, but...

Payroll Withholding Tax Calculator

So a $38K this website estimates the take home is like $1100 bi-weekly, or $2200 a month.

We all know the rule of spending 30%. 30% of $2200 is $660.

Thats not happening here. OP will mostly like be spending $850-$950 for a sutdio or one bedroom in the outer boroughs.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
We all know the rule of spending 30%. 30% of $2200 is $660.

Thats not happening here. OP will mostly like be spending $850-$950 for a sutdio or one bedroom in the outer boroughs.
Barring no debt or egregious expenses, I've always used the 40 percent rule, which would put the OP at $880 per month.

Everyone's situation is different. I know some people who spend greater than 40 percent of their income on rent and still manage to save and do just fine. It's all about what else you're willing to sacrifice.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
If you're going to be working in Grand Central, I'd recommend Woodside, Sunnyside and Jackson Heights in that order. Sunnyside is nice, but I believe it's a little more expensive than Woodside and Jackson Heights. Living in Woodside would also put you at the 61st Station on the 7, which is an express stop and a quick ride to Grand Central (if a little crowded). I think you can still get a studio for under a $1000, but it'll probably be a little easier the further east you go.

As a new college graduate and at your income level, I would think that you'd need a guarantor as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City