Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM

179 posts, read 556,257 times

Advertisements

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a potential move to NYC, and it looks like it's going to happen. With that being said, I'm having the crap scared out of me because I have a son that will enter kindergarten this fall. I've been told that elementary school admissions is competitive, if you live in a zoned school area, they can deny you access, etc. We won't be moving until probably late April, so we are going to miss any application deadlines and school tours. Are we screwed? I mean, we are willing to pony up a little extra $$ to rent an apartment that is zoned to a good school, but will it really be worth it if they can say 'sorry we're full, we're going to send your kid to this terribly-performing school on the other side of town because everything else is overloaded?' How does this work? I really need some advice or help on this matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,820,124 times
You could send him to a Catholic parochial school. Admissions aren't as uncertain as the piblic school process and you're not limited to any zones.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM

I think private school would bust the budget. I really want to do public school and send him to the zoned neighborhood school if possible. Are there no concessions made for families that move from out of state? It's not as though we were able to be present for the application/touring process or trust me, I would've been there and I would've been loud. I actually helped found a charter school in my current neighborhood so my kid would have a great educational experience, and the fact that we are moving away just before he starts kind of bums me out. At the same time, I feel like this will be a good move for our family and a great opportunity for my husband to advance in his career. I just really need some advice as to how to successfully navigate the school system.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:40 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,785,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualM View Post
I think private school would bust the budget. I really want to do public school and send him to the zoned neighborhood school if possible. Are there no concessions made for families that move from out of state? It's not as though we were able to be present for the application/touring process or trust me, I would've been there and I would've been loud.
ROFLOL

I see, 8 MILLION people stand back! VirtualM from Atlanta is here with her kid, make way, make way.

Excuse me, what reason is it that you should get priority over natives of this city and long term Transplants FAR more vested in the city and the schools?

Arrogant at the least.

Perhaps you need to rethink, NYC isn't meant for everyone.

Rather than the city, perhaps one of the suburbs would be better.

You should view this

http://www.nurseryuniversitythemovie.com/

Afterwhich, pause and think what the competition must be like for quality FREE schooling in this city. Not to mention the fact that the city is preparing to lay off 4500 teachers; which will lead to ever larger class sizes, and reduced access to the best public schools.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:37 AM

I don't even think that it's worth responding to you, but I can't help myself. I realize things are competitive. I also realize that, well, it's PUBLIC education and I will be paying taxes, same as everyone else, when I move there. (And wake-up call - teachers are getting laid off nationwide, so it's not exactly a unique problem to New York.) If I had a choice, I would've moved earlier so as to avoid this problem, but life happens, and it didn't work out that way. Since this is where life is taking us, I'm trying to lay out the best course of action so I can be proactive in this situation. I hope that others in NYC are not so arrogant and entitled as you come across on this board.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Just went on my run, cooled off a bit. Sorry if I came off as arrogant, I've been losing a lot of sleep over this and last night I was really having a difficult time. Obviously I'm invested in my kid and I've been quite invested in public schools where I live. I helped found a charter school, but obviously I've not the time to do something so drastic in NYC. I don't care if my kid is in the top-ranked school in the city; I really just want a decent school with some level of diversity; i.e., I don't want him to be the solitary white kid in a school where like 10% of the kids are passing state tests (for the record, I wouldn't want him to be in a school that was 99% white where only 10% of kids are passing state tests, either.) I'm good with the boroughs; I'm looking heavily into a couple of areas and I'm going to call their districts today and ask for some advice. I simply want to be prepared.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,820,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualM View Post
I think private school would bust the budget.
Average parochial school tuition is only around $5,000 a year, not the $30,000 that independent schools charge. Not sure if that would still be outside your budget. But likewise, you wouldn't be so pressured to rent in a "top public school" zone where rents can be very expensive. So the savings from lower rent might cancel out or even exceed what you'd pay in parochial tuition.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 8,712,750 times
Please also remember that at the K level, and to a significant degree at the 1-5 level, most schools in NYC are OK. Sure there are the terrible ones where kids run amok and nobody learns anything, but they tend to be in the worst neighborhoods, the likes of which you'll probably not be moving into. The big worries are jr high and high school, when most kids need to apply becase there are fewer and fewer zoned schools, and selection for the good schools is competitive.

But ever wonder why many middle class families wait until their kids are jr high or his age before they move? Its because outside of the worst areas of the city. most elementary schools are Ok for most kids.

For the srecord, the schools in District 26 in Queens (far out nabes like Bayside) and District 2 in Manhattan (everything below 96th st on the east side excluding the lower east side, and below 59th st on the west side,) traditionally have the best reps. But there are plenty of good elem schools almost everywhere.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM

OK, now that we've calmed down....

I can fully appreciate how you feel, but looking over your second post, you've got to comprehend that you're coming across very naive. I don't mean that in any insulting way, just being truthful. In your first post you clearly wanted to circumvent the system, and jump the line. That's what I reacted to.

Now, you must take in the reality that this is a VERY VERY expensive city. Second, that the schooling you want, as describred in your second post is what everyone in the city wants. That is good free public schooling. Not too much to ask, right. Yes, it is almost too much to ask.

It can be had, but sterotypically, it is had in the expensive neighborhoods. You must be able to afford to live in these areas; and there needs to be an available seat for your child. Overall, the public schools are traditionally VERY poor preformers, even in decent neighborhoods. Because of this the good to great schools are in incredible demand; beyond anything you have experienced.

Here's the kicker, in a city of 8 million plus, there are only a handful or so of such schools. The seemingly average school you are willing to accept is in High high Demand. There really isn't much between good/great and terrible.

So what do you do?

First and foremost, how much rent can you afford, which will dictate the quality of the school you may have access to. Once you have a realistic budget, then you can determine whether you can afford any of the neighborhoods with decent schools. Given your comments, I think it questionable. No insult intended, as the majority of NYers cannot!

So, presuming the good neighborhoods are not an option, and/or access to preferred schools isn't a reality; what are your options?

Well, as someone has suggested, Parochial school may be an option. Virtually, if not literally, all the Catholic schools provide a good to great education. The tuition from a NYC perspective is more than affordable, and can be paid monthly. The downside for some is the Catholic religious instruction included in the basic education. The choice is yours.

Given that tuition is an issue, then most, if not all, private schooling is not option. Though most of the good to great schools offer scholarships. Of course, the competition is very keen. Given, the sort of background you have described, I would think you may have an advantage with the more politically liberal private schools. Watch the documentary I suggested.

Now, I truly think that if the above isn't suitable or just doesn't work, then think SUBURBS. In the suburban areas you will find, generally, far superior schools. Of course, as is everything in the NYC region, where you can afford to live plays a major part. The best schools are found in the expensive areas; but very good schooling can be found in average middle class areas too.

In suburbia, you will find more affordable housing and certainly more space. Schools will have seats and be free. Also, the culture shock may be lessened. There will be far less diversity, on average, which you may or may not view as a benefit.

I cannot stress enough, how the suburbs appear your best option. Of course, a bit longer commute for the husband, but the near in towns can be quite convenient.

You've got a lot of homework to do, luck.

JFYI, NY, because of the politically strong teachers union, is decidedly anti-charter compared to many other states. Public school teachers, overall, will view you as the enemy.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:15 PM

I'm sure you've either heard or seen "Waiting for Superman". Here's a film which preceded Superman, The Lottery (2010 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City