Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 02:35 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
I think theres always been a problem in the black community with crime, things will never change
There were major crime issues with the Irish and Italian communities in NYC when they first came to the USA. At one time, Italian-Americans had a higher murder rate than African-Americans. Why is it that it is changing for Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans and changing less for African-Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 03:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
There were major crime issues with the Irish and Italian communities in NYC when they first came to the USA. At one time, Italian-Americans had a higher murder rate than African-Americans. Why is it that it is changing for Irish-Americans and Italian-Americans and changing less for African-Americans?
Because there was never as much government intervention intended to remedy things among the Irish and Italians as it was for Blacks.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Because there was never as much government intervention intended to remedy things among the Irish and Italians as it was for Blacks.
So you might argue that letting things take its course would help the African-American murder rate to drop? I'm just wondering.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 6,820 times
It's the Black hip hop ghetto urban culture and lifestyle that contributes to these black on black crimes. Generally speaking, every uneducated black person especially the young bucks all wanna be the tough guy, the hustle, the one not to be messed it, trying to keep it "real"....real dumb that is. Educated blacks who don't associate with other urban black people don't resort to that kind of mentality and behavior. The culture is a cancer to their development. Remove the urban ghetto culture and black people should be better off.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
So you might argue that letting things take its course would help the African-American murder rate to drop? I'm just wondering.
In a sense, yes. I believe that the government should have ensured our basic rights and liberties (outlawing Jim Crow in the South, redlining, blockbusting, etc.), but I don't think that forced integration and much of what came afterward (concentrated public housing, liberalizing welfare laws, etc.) was an entirely healthy thing--at least the way it was carried out.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
In a sense, yes. I believe that the government should have ensured our basic rights and liberties (outlawing Jim Crow in the South, redlining, blockbusting, etc.), but I don't think that forced integration and much of what came afterward (concentrated public housing, liberalizing welfare laws, etc.) was an entirely healthy thing--at least the way it was carried out.
What did forced integration and other things have to do with the murder rate?

Old 03-20-2011, 07:07 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
@ hairsprays comment that was right on the money and thats the issue that many people fail to realize. Because even the black people that are middle- to upper class in many cases are right next to low-income high crime black areas so they are exposed to that culture and end up messing up as well when they had no reason to. We see this all over NYC with flatbush and the other side of flatbush, Canarcie has two sides, St. Albans, Cambria Heights, Laurelton are all next to Springfield Gardens or Southside and so forth and so on...

Eliminate the hood factor from the middle class neighborhoods and you will see that black crime will limit itself to strictly an economic issue and nothing else...

Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
I think theres always been a problem in the black community with crime, things will never change
I think the problem with crime with POOR blacks in something that started in the 70's.

It's not the entire black community.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairspray View Post
It's the Black hip hop ghetto urban culture and lifestyle that contributes to these black on black crimes. Generally speaking, every uneducated black person especially the young bucks all wanna be the tough guy, the hustle, the one not to be messed it, trying to keep it "real"....real dumb that is. Educated blacks who don't associate with other urban black people don't resort to that kind of mentality and behavior. The culture is a cancer to their development. Remove the urban ghetto culture and black people should be better off.
Damn,

you've made more sense than anyone in this entire thread.

I have to agree 100%.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Damn,

you've made more sense than anyone in this entire thread.

I have to agree 100%.
Except for the part where this stuff existed BEFORE hip-hop came around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City