Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:57 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times

Advertisements

I agree with the general premise of this thread, but something has to be said here:

When you turn on the daily news, what do you see? A Black or Latino man commiting a crime. Now, granted, I see white people commiting crimes too (usually the sicker ones), but when it comes to general urban crime, It seems as thou Poor whites commit less crime than poor hispanics who commit way less crime than poor blacks.

My cousin worked for the 71st precient during the 1980s. She said something to be about race that I think boils it all down:

"the vast majority of Blacks are not criminals"..................... "but the vast majority of criminals are Black"

I would like to see racism go away as much as anybody. But frankly, when you feel entitled to gun down your neighbor and then depend on your neighbors not snitching on you, how is someone supposed to think about urban AA communites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM

253 posts, read 1,274,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy
Um, I have to stop reading this nonsense thread right here...you're complaining about racism by saying it's f'in gay.
It is. Its one of the major cancers of our society that hurts us all. If you think otherwise you are probably a racist or just ignorant.
unbelievable

Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times
k enough of this thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,124 times
Actually, there is no such thing as race. Humans share 99.9% of their DNA. It is not possible to group humans according to "race."

Old 07-29-2007, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,124 times
The news is packaged in a particular way. It is packaged according to stereotypes.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,282 times
Heh, I think you and I are on a similar wavelength, Hustla.

The original question is whether NYC is a particularly racist place. Here's my answer.

It's an amazingly diverse place. Queens is supposedly the most diverse county in the whole nation.

As has been noted, it can be very segregated. Some neighborhoods mix it up but many are self-selected enclaves. In the past, this was enforced by real estate brokers etc. who would not allow "the wrong people" to move into particular places, but these days it's often a matter of choice. (For instance, I get the impression that some upper-middle-class black folks consciously choose to live in Ft. Greene and not, say, Park Slope. Orthodox Jews intentionally build tight-knit communities in particular places, that's part of the point of being Orthodox.)

So, if you move to NYC, chances are you will meet a much wider variety of people as you go about your business. You'll rub elbows with them on the subway, venture into "their neighborhoods," and deal with them in all kinds of different situations.

And you'll start to realize that cultural differences are, in fact, kind of interesting. Unlike the suburban PC code that I grew up on, where I was taught to always say "African-American" instead of black, or claim that people "happen to be" whatever ethnicity they are, you'll start to relax and just talk. It's not *hate*, it's just reality.

Does NYC have racist jerks? Yeah, it's a big city, so that'll include lots of stupid people. But, at least here the racist wackos actually have to meet and deal with the people they wanna disparage. Deep down, I think the average NYC resident has to be less racist than the average suburbanite.

Oh, and no real NYker thought the movie "Crash" was good. Just so you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City