Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

yesterday I had an appt at Montefiore Hosp and got there early. out of curiosity I walked over to the Oval by Kingscollege Place. I was impressed by the sheer shape and size and would like to bike around it or in it. There was no restriction on the park entrance sign about bikes so i assume they're permitted, at least on the paths that run on the upper part of the playground

I also notice stairs that go down to the playground. can bikes be ridden on the lower paths too? is there an incline instead of stairs going down on the entrances?

I assume this park is safe during the day. any other issues with safety? I've read of a few problems with the oval in the past but when i was there yesterday I felt safe enough.

i'm just a big fan of big man made parks in urban areas and love biking around the Mosholu Pkwy area so this is why I ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
I have walked through the park numerous times and found it very pleasant.

My radar is pretty good about dangerous people,situations and activitiies going on around me and I have never felt even the slightest negative vibe.Maybe the problems you have heard about were at night ?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Default I knew you'd

have a response bluedog! I can't wait to go ride there I think i will do that on the first available day with good weather.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
I see a doctor at Montefiore too and sometimes go out of my way to walk through the park.It's really great looking these days !

Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Default me too with the radar about

bad people.

I liked biking thru Ft Independence Park off Sedgwick and W 238th but that one is way smaller than the oval

you know what I notice is that there is a Van Cortlandt Avenue surrounding both playgrounds

you have Van Cortlandt Ave West by the JP Reservoir, and you have Van Cortlandt Avenue East that leads right into the oval

I wonder if that was part of any plan when both playgrounds were built long ago

always been a big fan of this kind of thing

Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Default i actually found a parking spot

right on the side of 3400 Bainbridge, but normally I park over by Van Cortlandt Avenue by E Mosh Pkwy N and walk because its tough to get a spot near Bainbridge

Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 PM

412 posts, read 1,327,189 times
When my kids were little Oval Park was always the destination to go to as soon as it got warm.

They lived in that park. It gave kids a place to play other than in front of their apartment buildings.

The Parks Department, kept it clean and you would always see a police car parked somewhere in the park.

It is also a great shortcut if you need to get to Gun Hill Road from Jerome or Mosholu Parkway.

Have great memories of Oval Park. My daughter also went to their pre-K program there but that was almost 10 years ago.

I have fond memories of the Oval as it was called when I lived in Norwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City