Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM

153 posts, read 542,917 times

Advertisements

how is the area around the university? is it in a safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM

16 posts, read 127,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
how is the area around the university? is it in a safe area?
Yea It's a VERY nice area around the school. I graduated last May from St. John's. The neighborhood is actually Jamaica Estates but it is all called Jamaica though. Very safe and many expensive properties around the college. Will you be living on campus or in an apt? Alot of people say once you pass over Hillside Ave. that the area becomes "unsafe", it just depends on what your definition of "safe" is. I, myself never felt uncomfortable walking around any part of Queens but I was raised in the inner city so I've become accustomed to it lol Don't let me scare you though lol.

What will you be studying at St. John's?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:44 PM

ok, that is good. i'm not sure yet, and on campus definitely. i dont know if i will go there or even if i will get accepted. are they difficult to get into? i have read different things for this.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM

16 posts, read 127,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaaa View Post
ok, that is good. i'm not sure yet, and on campus definitely. i dont know if i will go there or even if i will get accepted. are they difficult to get into? i have read different things for this.
Yea SJU stepped up its acceptance rate lol. When I applied back in 2006, their rate was 88%! Anybody was gettin' into SJU at that time! Now, I believe, their rate is around 40% acceptance . So they're pretty selective now! They had the highest applications received out of all the colleges in the tri-state last year! I think it was around 40,000 applicants lol Look at collegeboard website to find out what it is exactly. Best of Luck 2 U though! Keep the board posted! If you have more questions, just ask! Many people have went to SJU or know people who have on this forum.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:05 PM

thank you! but i don't think it is really 40%, because i saw that too. i think that number reflects the free online application feature they have added. i think that a lot of people applied but didn't follow up with their transcripts, which eliminated their chances, therefore lowering the acceptance rate dramatically. i read somewhere that they accept 68% also, and then 83%. i believe these two numbers more after reviewing their acceptance statistics. that's my theory

Old 03-11-2011, 09:20 AM

75 posts, read 146,163 times
it's known in NYC they take just about anyone

Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 PM

ok.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:01 PM

100 posts, read 248,740 times
Saint John's University is actually on the border of Jamaica Estates & Fresh Meadows. It is a very safe neighborhood in the confines of the 107 Police Precinct. You can check on crime statistics for that Precinct by going to the NYPD homepage. It's a nice area with restaurants, shops, and Cunningham Park about 1 mile away if green space is important.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:20 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,814 times
SJU is in Jamaica, but the northeastern edge of the campus (at Utopia Parkway and Union Turnpike) is the Four Corners where Flushing (NW corner) Fresh Meadows (NE corner) Jamaica (SW corner--including all of SJU) and Jamaica Estates (SE corner)

A couple of miles to the south, Jamaica is an iffy neighborhood, but that's well across the Grand Central Parkway (which runs along the southern boundary of SJU) and might as well be 1,000 miles away. Nevertheless, Jamaica's bad rep sometimes hurts SJU's rep....

Anyway, the area around SJU is very nice. Well cared for homes, semi-suburban, great shopping along Union Turnpike. Jamaica Estates is especially fairly wealthy.....

Old 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM

ok, how does it hurt the university's rep if its secluded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City