Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:21 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,069 times

Advertisements

You'll be taken to do cleaner and be miserable! Move to New Jersey or to Florida. Your life will be alot better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 PM

19 posts, read 33,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
You'll be taken to do cleaner and be miserable! Move to New Jersey or to Florida. Your life will be alot better!
I can see you must have some sort of issue with the city.

Anyway...

I know this probably sounds stupid, but what is a roomshare? Is that just an apartment with roommates or is there something else I don't know about?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinKSU View Post
I can see you must have some sort of issue with the city.

Anyway...

I know this probably sounds stupid, but what is a roomshare? Is that just an apartment with roommates or is there something else I don't know about?
Yeah, ignore that poster. They've been posting on a bunch of threads telling people they should move elsewhere.

A roomshare is basically renting a room from someone with an existing lease. Let's say Joe has a 2-year lease on a three bedroom with John and Peter. Peter moves out after one year, so you would just rent the room that Peter had. Make sense?

Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Yeah, ignore that poster. They've been posting on a bunch of threads telling people they should move elsewhere.

A roomshare is basically renting a room from someone with an existing lease. Let's say Joe has a 2-year lease on a three bedroom with John and Peter. Peter moves out after one year, so you would just rent the room that Peter had. Make sense?
Yeah, I can see that. Makes sense. Is that preferable to a lease if you're new to town?

Is there a good online place to find roomshares? Craigslist?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 PM

New York Roommates: Apartment Shares and Rooms for Rent in New York City

Is that site reputable? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I can see that. Makes sense. Is that preferable to a lease if you're new to town?

Is there a good online place to find roomshares? Craigslist?
It can be a good idea if you're not sure about what neighborhood might need your needs, since they're usually short-term arrangements. It's also a good idea if your still getting on your feet financially and may have trouble getting approved for your own apartment, which isn't necessarily your case since you have a decent savings.

I would think Craigslist would be the best way to find a room. I know a few people who have found rooms or roommates that way. I'm not familiar with the site below that you linked too, although maybe another poster is.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Craig's list is definitely the way to go. Just be prepared to see A LOT of apartments. And I definitely agree that a share is best for a newbie. You don't want to sign a year-long lease for a place that ends up being a two-hour commute from whatever job you end up landing. Nor do you want your starter funds tied up in first/last/security for your own place.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 PM

How do shares work? I was looking at some of the listings and they say things like "the living room is off-limits".

Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
How do shares work? I was looking at some of the listings and they say things like "the living room is off-limits".
You just answered your question—it greatly depends.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
You just answered your question—it greatly depends.
Interesting. Seems like it can be a crazy set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City