Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM

99 posts, read 396,889 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Morningside Heights soon, but how could SSI in NYC be $761.00 for someone living alone?!!! Should it be more than that? Because NYC is expensive and people can't live in an apartment with $761.00! How do you guys in NYC live on that less amount of money? What is ya'll secret to that? Apartments cost $1,000 and up in NYC. Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
If it isn't a retirement check SSI check then SSI pays less than say a SSDI (disability) check. SSI is a welfare program of Social Security and payment is what the government feels you should have not what you've earned and it's not based upon the standard of one's living requirements.

SSI is for those who hadn't paid enough or not at all into Social Security. Those who have paid at least 10 years into the system (FICA) will get more.

Those collecting SSI only usually have other government help in order make it here.

I spoke to an elderly woman here whose rent was more than her check and she depended on her son to help ends meet.

I think b/c the cost of living is so high here you'll find so many people who try to beat the system and do all kinds of illegal things to get over, and it's not only the poor that does it but all sorts of people.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:55 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
You currently live in Augusta GA (per your other posts). The cost of living there is much cheaper than NYC --- why would you want to move to NYC???? Also, why are you on SSI?? Are you truly disabled to the point you cannot work?? You will never make it in NYC on $761/month. There are people who make more than that in a WEEK and still struggle to get by!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM

245 posts, read 607,698 times
Be grateful you are getting $761 in NYC. I receive $762 per month in SSDI in the San Francisco Bay Area where costs are sky high. I have been on SSDI since 1992. I do not get SSI or SSP (a state supplement). I also get $200 a month in SNAP benefits (formerly Food Stamps--now called CalFresh benefits in California), which are good only for food. I also get Medicare Part A, B, and D, and Medicaid (called Medi-Cal in California). I also qualify for the Universal Lifeline telephone subsidy, so I only pay about $8 per month in phone expenses.

If you move to Alaska, you get over $1,000 a month in SSI/supplement, plus food stamps, plus the Alaska Permanent Fund rebate each year, which averages $1,000 a person per year. After that, Connecticut and then Massachusetts, and even Maine are the best states to live in when it comes to SSI.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,147 times
hi everyone i get a ssi check and i need my own place with my son but i dont know were to go for help if anyone has information plase let me know i dont have alot of time

Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephkaiden4ever View Post
hi everyone i get a ssi check and i need my own place with my son but i dont know were to go for help if anyone has information plase let me know i dont have alot of time
You're going to need to provide more information. What sort of help are you looking for?

Old 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
Be grateful you are getting $761 in NYC. I receive $762 per month in SSDI in the San Francisco Bay Area where costs are sky high. I have been on SSDI since 1992. I do not get SSI or SSP (a state supplement). I also get $200 a month in SNAP benefits (formerly Food Stamps--now called CalFresh benefits in California), which are good only for food. I also get Medicare Part A, B, and D, and Medicaid (called Medi-Cal in California). I also qualify for the Universal Lifeline telephone subsidy, so I only pay about $8 per month in phone expenses.
NYC and San Francisco have similar high costs of living. My mother who lives in L.A. gets a similar amount as well as Section 8 rental help (in a regular apt. bldg.) and she has been very careful with her expenses. I believe being that she is a senior citizen she also gets the universal lifeline tel. subsidy for local phone service (she doeesn't have long distance on her home phone).

I don't think the SSI amount is enough income for anyone. The question as already posed is why do you want to move to NYC when you don't have the income to live in NYC.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,789 times
Hi, Ive been living in NYC all my life, I've live in the East Village for 52 years and yes NYC is very expensive. Am on SSI cause am disabled, I cant work, which I miss the heck of it. Anyways I get 756 a month, plus 172 in snap and section 8. I have a two bedroom apt In one of the busy neighborhoods and I get by fine, mind you my two oldest son's and my 7 year old grandson live with me. My rent is 826 a month. There are times that I see myself hanging on a thread but I have faith and god on my side.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Didn't realize taxpayers should subsidize cost of living adjustments based on where you decide you would like to live.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisol52 View Post
Hi, Ive been living in NYC all my life, I've live in the East Village for 52 years and yes NYC is very expensive. Am on SSI cause am disabled, I cant work, which I miss the heck of it. Anyways I get 756 a month, plus 172 in snap and section 8. I have a two bedroom apt In one of the busy neighborhoods and I get by fine, mind you my two oldest son's and my 7 year old grandson live with me. My rent is 826 a month. There are times that I see myself hanging on a thread
How are you hanging on at all?
Those numbers don't add up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: