Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,699 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 21yr old girl looking to move to NYC in the near future with my dog. My grandmother is leaving me (AU)$35,000+ & I would like to use it to re-locate to NYC. I recently (3 days ago) took a trip there, and absolutely loved it.

My problems are:

1). I do not have a job to move there for.. I have been looking up vacant positions, and have found that for the majority of them, I need an SAT score. Obviously, because I am from Australia, I do not have one. I want to earn enough to live on. I don't want to be able to shop on 5th ave or anything, but would like to be able to live without worrying about affording cigarettes. What can I do?

2) I do not have a place to live. I will be able to get one in time, but need to know about the taxes. Here, we pay for example $250p/w and that's it.

I know how to use the subways and all that... so that's not my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
You need to get a work permit/visa before moving to the USA. I suggest you also post your question on the legal immigration forum.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,172 times
Before you move, what are your job experiences? Why exactly do you want to move to NYC? A nyc vacation is not the same as living here. The job market is extremely competitive and you are young (21). Are you finish with college? If so, what degree do you have? If you want to continue your education here, it will be expensive. Don't want to scare you off but an international move is very expensive. You have to do a lot of research. 35K Australian Dollars equal 35,012.7 USD. That cash will not last long in NYC.

Good luck

Last edited by Mr. Klato; 03-13-2011 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-13-2011, 10:40 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeOfDesire View Post
1). I do not have a job to move there for.. I have been looking up vacant positions, and have found that for the majority of them, I need an SAT score. Obviously, because I am from Australia, I do not have one.
No job will require an SAT score. An SAT is the test that most students take for college admittance. Jobs may require a degree, but none will care about an SAT score.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:25 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Right, you don't need an SAT score, you need a college degree - or a marketable skill. Do you have that?

The taxes here will mostly be a percentage of your income.

And NYC is not a good place to come if you're a smoker.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM

91 posts, read 311,948 times
Do not move here until you have landed a job first. It might be hard since you are long distance, but try really hard. You will eat up all your cash while trying to find a decent job.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 AM

62 posts, read 68,499 times
I will second mf_colon on this - I would NOT move to NYC unless you have a job lined up - or, at least a prospect.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,568 times
Quote:
Hello all,

My grandmother is leaving me (AU)$35,000+
I would at least wait until the grandmother is dead.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
I would at least wait until the grandmother is dead.
Between that, and having neither a job nor a place to live, you'd think the OP should definitely line everything else up before catching the next flight in. But you know how it is: sometimes too much thinking just gets you a headache.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I am a 21yr old girl looking to move to NYC in the near future with my dog. My grandmother is leaving me (AU)$35,000+ & I would like to use it to re-locate to NYC. I recently (3 days ago) took a trip there, and absolutely loved it.

My problems are:

1). I do not have a job to move there for.. I have been looking up vacant positions, and have found that for the majority of them, I need an SAT score. Obviously, because I am from Australia, I do not have one. I want to earn enough to live on. I don't want to be able to shop on 5th ave or anything, but would like to be able to live without worrying about affording cigarettes. What can I do?

2) I do not have a place to live. I will be able to get one in time, but need to know about the taxes. Here, we pay for example $250p/w and that's it.

I know how to use the subways and all that... so that's not my concern.
How about...STOP SMOKING!!??

wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City