Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,444,559 times

Advertisements

I have a question here for the lady here on this board ..I had a lady friend say to me you live in a very clutter free apt and you need to add a sofa to the place as she told that the place look's like a prison cell without any furniture in it and you need some more picture's or poster's the wall to brighten the place up ..I do have my brag board with the grandkid's picture's on them along with the kid's in the place but that it for the socalled pictures on the wall set up ..

She told women like to see some type of furniture in the place instead of it looking like a prison cell style of liveing that most men seam to have in there place when men are single and liveing alone in the place

In my studio i have the following item's because of the size of the place

a queen sized mattress bed with it metal base stand

a milk crate as it a nightstand with lamp unit

a plastic snap together 3-high shelf inside the closet to hold clothing as they are need

a two high plastic shelf system in the kitchen to hold supplie's as it need

a rug for the floor like the socalled lease said i had to have

a desk with a nice high back office chair with a foot rest to hold the desktop computer with it accessorie's item's layout on the desk ..

The desktop double's as the tv for watching tv or movies when off work and a place to eat at also

That it in the way of furniture in the place because of the size of the place i did look at small sofa's but the place is to small to have the sofa and bed in it and i only really there to sleep and eat and clean up along with a few time's a week i'm off dureing the evening i do sit down and watch a tv show i might have missed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:58 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,797 times
so-called lease? time to get a real one buddy

Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
so-called lease? time to get a real one buddy
The place where i rented from said i had to have a rug over the to keep down the socalled noise level inside the place ..Plus it more common than you think up here in the city for all the place's i had looked at i was told by the broker that i had to have a rug also on the floor and i found that stange also but if i wanted the place i would have to follow that rule

Since this post was more for the lady's to answer the question of furniture and socalled men home decor style please let the lady's answer this one ..

Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,251,537 times
Henry, I have to agree with your friend. You don't need a lot of stuff, especially in a small place, but it does help if it looks like you care a bit about your surroundings. A milk crate? That's okay if you are just out of college, but not for a grown professional such as yourself. Even a nice used or vintage wood piece would be better than that. And you have to get rid of the plastic shelves.

You have described a disposable space and that isn't very welcoming.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Thank you that's i'm thinking the milk crate thing has been around for a few year's plus i used for a packing crate when i moved around and she told me that i need to get some wood furniture in the space to give it some warm ..but she does like the plastic shelfs in the closet and it a idea that need's to stay hidden when female's are over ..

Plus i only really bought the basic thing's i would need for a place up like a studio for i thought i was only going to be here for a year or 18 month time frame

The kitchen is so small with the fridge and stove right night to each other and small sink and the plastic shelf is for the mircowave and a couple of other thing's that i do not have a counter space for like the toaster and coffee pot and the overhead cabinet's in the kitchen area are really small i can barely fit some of the grocery's and dinner plate's and pot's and pan's inside them ..

So that why i have the plastic stand in the kitchen area and the computer moniter double's as a tv screen for the space that left after the bed is not alot in the place so i try to get double duty out of everything in the place

Plus she pointed out that beening a clean and clutter free and place look's ready for barracks inspection in the military is a good thing but also say's you bit of a control freak she say's also to me ..Her girlfriend had made the comment to her it need some warm in it and it would not be a bad place to come and vist it and spend time but it got that whole barrack's or as she called prison cell look that men seam to flavor when they move around alot in there life .. ..

Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 AM

2,719 posts, read 5,361,017 times
I think if you live alone then you decide what goes into your living space. It's nervy to me that someone would say "you need to do x." No, you don't need to do anything if you are comfortable there. If it's clean and accommodates your stuff in a way that you like, it's no one's business.

If I was seriously dating a guy who lived in a sparsely furnished apartment, I would say "Dude, if we ever move in together, we're getting real furniture" and that would be that. As long as he was in his own place, I wouldn't recommend anything because it's not my place to do so.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM

881 posts, read 2,254,643 times
I would get rid of the milk crate - buy an actual nightstand... If you can't fit a sofa perhaps look at getting a love seat or chair. Sounds like there is no place besides your bed for anyone else to sit.

Most women I know don't mind clean and clutter free - with a small space clutter free is even more important. She really meant you need to personalize the space some. Add something to the walls - not posters because that's for college kids but paintings, photos etc. Having nice bedding would help as well.

Far as the plastic shelving I wouldn't worry about it. I think most people realize spaces are smaller here and you do what you gotta do to make it work.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM

i have allway's lived a very moblie lifestyle where i never knew where i was going to be sometime's along with the fact it was a plain in the butt to pack up alot of thing's so i allways lived a basic or a mimialis lifestyle for it was alot easly to pack up a few item's and move than a whole house full of item's into a uhaul and go to the next place in one next work area for the company ..

I have a Tempur Pedic high end mattress set up with a really nice metal frame bed system for the bed to sit on and the sheet's are the high end cotton sheet's and very nice handmade quilt on the bed ..

My picture board is 36"inchs wide-x-36"inchs tall with a set's of the grandkid's and the kid's photo's on the board spead out all over the board that i print out on the printer i have on small 4-x-6 sized photo's paper that my kid's email me new picture's and old pictures are rotated around on the board intill they get pulled and i put them in a new picture book i have at my place in Utah

Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,816,415 times
I'm not a woman, but here is some quick advice based on a lifetime of women.

First, women like to see evidence in a man's place that he is capable of being a provider or a good financial partner. Which means you are capable of affording furniture and have the basic standards of adult life---not a broke college student or starving artist.

Milk crate?

If that is the standard you set for yourself, then a woman wonders what standard you intend for her.

Also, think about it. You invite a woman to visit at your place and the only place to sit is the BED! Woman don't like to on a bed of a strange man. Its a slick move for a college kid to get a girl into bed. A lot od women won't appreciate the throwback memories.

Your friend was trying to communicate these things to you in a nice way.

Your place defines you as a man of little significance nor consequence (which generally is what a mobile lifestyle is).

You mentioned grandkids, I imagine that you have kids with a more substatial home life.

In the immediate, perhaps a sofabed is a good idea, and get rid of the crate!

A man your age needs a larger place of substance. A 1bdrm at least.

Perhaps you should consider renting furniture, that way you just call the rental company when its time to move. That or rent a furnished apartment. A good residential apartment hotel. A furnished longterm sublet.

Anyway, that's my male word. I know few woman, of any age, who would find your circumstance attractive, let alone desireable to spend time.

JMO.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I'm not a woman, but here is some quick advice based on a lifetime of women.

First, women like to see evidence in a man's place that he is capable of being a provider or a good financial partner. Which means you are capable of affording furniture and have the basic standards of adult life---not a broke college student or starving artist.

Milk crate?

If that is the standard you set for yourself, then a woman wonders what standard you intend for her.

Also, think about it. You invite a woman to visit at your place and the only place to sit is the BED! Woman don't like to on a bed of a strange man. Its a slick move for a college kid to get a girl into bed. A lot od women won't appreciate the throwback memories.

Your friend was trying to communicate these things to you in a nice way.

Your place defines you as a man of little significance nor consequence (which generally is what a mobile lifestyle is).

You mentioned grandkids, I imagine that you have kids with a more substatial home life.

In the immediate, perhaps a sofabed is a good idea, and get rid of the crate!

A man your age needs a larger place of substance. A 1bdrm at least.

Perhaps you should consider renting furniture, that way you just call the rental company when its time to move. That or rent a furnished apartment. A good residential apartment hotel. A furnished longterm sublet.

Anyway, that's my male word. I know few woman, of any age, who would find your circumstance attractive, let alone desireable to spend time.

JMO.
She was trying to tell me in a nice way about something's that i needed to change something's about my lifestyle and how i keep a very mimialist lifestyle apt in my life ..

When i moved up there we went bedshopping for a new bed because of the comment she made about the futon mattress i had for years and she said you need to start thinking about how it look's to a women when they come into the place to have a dinner at the place or spending the night ..

Yes i have looked a small loveseat but it not going to work in the space i have left over in the queen sized bed that i have ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City