Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times

Advertisements

I dispise immigrant taxi drivers particulry indian and african ones, they are very rascist and dont like to drive outside of manhattan. I confrontef many indian and african taxi cab drivers who did not wanna drive across the willis avenue bridge to mott haven. What I do now is I avoid all indian and african taxi cab drivers and if im lucky spot a white or native new yorker taxi cab driver who will be willing to travel out of manhattan. One time during winter I could not catch a taxi because of wearing a mt erebus northface coat. So many taxis passed by and not one stop. I had to do one of those memtos moments. I took off my coat wrapped a scarf around my neck like hipsters do and boom a taxi stopped for me. Picked up my coat and got in the cab. The cabbie was a white guy. It only seems that many nyc taxi drivers only see two colors, white, and green. The tlc should make cabs specified for outer boro travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:26 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just curious if its only a myth or is it true, do NY yellow Taxi's stop for black people? Or have a hard time getting one?
me and my boss(black dominican) hailed a cab abd got one in less then 1 mili second.

Im not one of those few black people who are paranoid for things such as these.

i think it has to do with apperance because even though im black but if i were a cab driver and you fit the dangerous stereotype i would not stop for you.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 AM

the most realest cabbies in nyc are the haitians/jamaicans in brooklyn. Now idk if their cab service is illegal or legal but god damn they will wait and stop for anyone and sometimes fight over it. They love waiting by subway terminals or subways by main streets just waiting for a quick pick up.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 AM

idk why a cabbie wouldnt want to go out of manhattan(except for fear of bad areas). When i go to work i try anything to make the time fly. If i was a cabbie i wouldnt mind taking long trips. Makes the day go by faster and money shouldnt be a issue since cabbies run by meters. Longer the route larger the paper.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,038,635 times
I have a friend who live in pelham parkway and he is white, we were hanging out in the Village onetime. After hours we hailed a taxi. THe taxi was willing to take me to Mott Haven right across from the Harlem River but did not wanna take my friend all the way up in the Bronx. The taxi driver was a durka durk. My thing is this the taxis dont wanna drop anyone that lives on the out skirts of the city like South Brooklyn or North Bronx, they dont wanna pick up hoodish or ghetto looking people, and dont wanna drop people of in slum areas of the city cause of a risk of becoming a victim. They should make a new a taxi service that takes people to Manhattan to outer boroughs and from outer boroughs to outer boroughs and pay these cabbies more money then traditional yellow cabbies. The durka durks, the habibies, alibabas and Kunta Kentee can all have Manhattan if that makes them happy and safe.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,446 times
This thread reminds me that famous Danny Glover incident. I thought things were getting better, may be not.

Danny Glover Says Cabbies Discriminated Against Him - NYTimes.com

Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
First thing, where do you people see all these Indians and Pakistani cab drivers? All I see are Latinos (mostly Dominicans, some Ecuadorians in Queens) and Africans. I guess the yellow cab must be where all the Pakistanis are, I only take livery cabs.

A few things:

- Yes, the refusal to pick up blacks is very common place. I am speaking on Dominican taxi drivers, since my uncle is a livery cab driver. He says he does not pick up blacks because they are rude, agressive, don't pay, and are responsible for most of the crimes. Sometimes the taxi drivers are desperate but as happened to my uncle in Fordham, he picked up an African American who appeared to be alone. The AA wanted to sit in the front and when my uncle looked back, two other AA appeared and wanted to get in the back. Mind you, this happened on E. 181 st & Thebout ave, by the projects and one of the very worst areas of the city. So he immediately took off before the two in the back could get in, and i in the process dragging the AA up front, who was not fully in, on the concrete. This happened until the dude let go and left. So taxi drivers usually know. If they see an AA with a durag, flag, lots of jewlery, visibly drunk, with a large group, hands in pockets etc ..that dude(s) wont get picked up.

- As to the Africans in Wakefield, they are very ghetto. Not to be rascist but those are the worst. They speak with attitude, they wont budge until you pay them first, inisuating that you're not going to pay, and many times don't know how to travel in areas not in the north Bronx. They also love to charge more. Furthermore, I've seen those ghetto Africans or Jamaicans in their private vehicles, doing their own taxing. I got on one, who had no signs indicating it was a taxi and when he got lost I tought I was a dead man. Turns out he was used his own car to do taxing and worked independent. I got home and the dude was pretty cool.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just curious if its only a myth or is it true, do NY yellow Taxi's stop for black people? Or have a hard time getting one?
You've never actually set foot in New York City, have you?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've found that immigrant drivers, many times people of color, often don't bring the same baggage about race with them that native born white drivers can.
The vast majority of NYC cab drivers are immigrants, most of them muslim, and yes, they are racist toward young black males for good reason: most robberies and murders of cab drivers are perpetrated by blacks/hispanics. Sorry for the inconvenient truth.

If you're an adult black male dressed professionally you won't have many problems unless you ask to be driven to one of the outer boroughs, especially the Bronx.

I've never seen a "native-born white" cab driver in NYC.

Last edited by renault; 03-15-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 11:03 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,258 times
many cab drivers in NYC are immigrants from india, pak, middle east. they stop for brown people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City