Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I've only been in a cab a handful of times in manhattan and my drivers were always black. One kept sniffing over and over though... but he was a fast driver. Do black cab drivers refuse to pick up black passengers?
Yes, they refuse. Most black cab drivers are African Immigrants, some are Dominician. It's very rare to see an African-American cab driver. My grandfather was a cab driver in the 50-70s in Mississippi. Most immigrants of all colors have a negative perception of African-Americans. What bothers me is when they bypass professional(dressed) blacks. Unless criminals are dressing in professional attire and robbing cabs, there is no reason to refuse service to a professional Black which most don't live in bad neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Yes, they refuse. Most black cab drivers are African Immigrants, some are Dominician. It's very rare to see an African-American cab driver. My grandfather was a cab driver in the 50-70s in Mississippi. Most immigrants of all colors have a negative perception of African-Americans. What bothers me is when they bypass professional(dressed) blacks. Unless criminals are dressing in professional attire and robbing cabs, there is no reason to refuse service to a professional Black which most don't live in bad neighborhoods.
Hm maybe that explains why I've never had a problem. Most African immigrants see me and think that I'm an immigrant too, although it's my parents who are, not me.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 54,088 times
You may or may not have peeped this

Video: Effed Up: When Being Colored & Trying To Get A Yellow Taxi In New York!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM

684 posts, read 1,820,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
First thing, where do you people see all these Indians and Pakistani cab drivers? All I see are Latinos (mostly Dominicans, some Ecuadorians in Queens) and Africans. I guess the yellow cab must be where all the Pakistanis are, I only take livery cabs.

A few things:

- Yes, the refusal to pick up blacks is very common place. I am speaking on Dominican taxi drivers, since my uncle is a livery cab driver. He says he does not pick up blacks because they are rude, agressive, don't pay, and are responsible for most of the crimes. Sometimes the taxi drivers are desperate but as happened to my uncle in Fordham, he picked up an African American who appeared to be alone. The AA wanted to sit in the front and when my uncle looked back, two other AA appeared and wanted to get in the back. Mind you, this happened on E. 181 st & Thebout ave, by the projects and one of the very worst areas of the city. So he immediately took off before the two in the back could get in, and i in the process dragging the AA up front, who was not fully in, on the concrete. This happened until the dude let go and left. So taxi drivers usually know. If they see an AA with a durag, flag, lots of jewlery, visibly drunk, with a large group, hands in pockets etc ..that dude(s) wont get picked up.

- As to the Africans in Wakefield, they are very ghetto. Not to be rascist but those are the worst. They speak with attitude, they wont budge until you pay them first, inisuating that you're not going to pay, and many times don't know how to travel in areas not in the north Bronx. They also love to charge more. Furthermore, I've seen those ghetto Africans or Jamaicans in their private vehicles, doing their own taxing. I got on one, who had no signs indicating it was a taxi and when he got lost I tought I was a dead man. Turns out he was used his own car to do taxing and worked independent. I got home and the dude was pretty cool.
No way trying to disrespect your uncle...im black and well aware there are a lot of "rude, disrespectful, non paying" people. But theres a just as many like that that are Dominican/Puerto Rican etc... I honestly think the root of many of the Dominicans who dont stop for blacks is rooted in the a lot of the ignorance between blacks/dominicans. I'm not in a gang, I dont flag, never been THAT drunk..etc..AND i'm a female ! And i've had issues with Dominican cab drivers..(as well as yellow taxi's). Whether its by myself, or with my friends..we've all had issues.

However generally speaking..a Dominican cabbie will stop before a yellow taxi (in my experience..not stating this as a fact)

Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM

24 posts, read 73,266 times
Why everything gotta be based on [race]? I'm not black but when I try to get a cab in manhattan and I tell them want to go to the bronx most tell me no cause their shift is ending. Mod cut

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-16-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
I am white, and I gotta say that if a taxi driver wont go to a specific area from Manhattan, it has nothing to do with race. They generally dont want to leave the Manhattan area. Many times I have had them refuse service outside of Manhattan....

It is not ideal, but it is what it is. To make it out to be racial prejudicice is not correct in this specific scenario is not correct.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default victim avoidance

Nothing to do with race. The hack license is a race to pick up the next fare but safety is always a priority before money. The first priority is safety; the biggest source of danger for cabbies is robberies or the nuisance of fare jumpers. Victimhood will push you to use the area between your ears for danger avoidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycdoorman View Post
Why everything gotta be based on [race]? I'm not black but when I try to get a cab in manhattan and I tell them want to go to the bronx most tell me no cause their shift is ending. Mod cut

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 AM

125 posts, read 333,812 times
Why wouldn't they? Black goes great with yellow.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
There is a difference between a cabbie stopping for you and refusing to go where you want and a cabs passing you by.

If a cabbie doesn't want to go where I'm going, I get out. I know it's against the law, but it isn't worth the trouble to me.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am white, and I gotta say that if a taxi driver wont go to a specific area from Manhattan, it has nothing to do with race. They generally dont want to leave the Manhattan area. Many times I have had them refuse service outside of Manhattan....

It is not ideal, but it is what it is. To make it out to be racial prejudicice is not correct in this specific scenario is not correct.
Well, it seems like the taxi drivers are actually stopping long enough for you to figure out that they're not going where you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City