Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 PM

177 posts, read 416,337 times

Advertisements

Oh nothing upsetting or anything, I guess I'm just thinking since you're coming from far away that's all. Ideally you could go for a visit but if not, did you find out about an apartment thru' a realtor? Have you been able to speak with the landlord of the building to ask a few questions you might have about the building? - Just trying to think of ways you can make as best a decision as possible from a more distant location, so, just to cover the bases as much as you can if you can't visit first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUgrad View Post
I sure hope so! The fact that the R stops running after midnight makes me slightly nervous.
I think there's a shuttle to the R at that hour, or one connection or another, not sure about that -- but I don't think it stops running completely.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Never mind which train to take--did you say a 10x14 foot studio? Ten by fourteen feet? You do realize that's not much more than a glorified hole in the wall, right?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
^^^^^ Ya,what is so great about a 140 sq ft studio for 850/mo? ..... in Bay Ridge yet ! Everyone smoking crack on here ? That's the size of a smallish bedroom,period, without a kitchen or bath.I don't even know how you can get a living area,a kitchen area , a bathroom and a closet into 140sq ft. Most studio apartments in the city are at least 400 sq ft.Yes,I know there are some smaller(especially in Manhattan), but most are larger .The studios in my building are over 500 sq ft !!

My bedroom is 20x15,more than twice the size of this whole apartment ???

Someone paying over 2,000/mo for a normal sized studio in Manhattan is getting a much better deal sq ft wise than this and they are in Manhattan.

Bay Ridge is nice but 850/mo for 140sq ft of space an hour from Manhattan is absurd.

Do not rent without seeing this place.Something is wrong.

Last edited by bluedog2; 03-16-2011 at 05:56 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
I thought the same thing. That is not a great living situation. A one bedroom can be found for about $1k in Bay Ridge. Studios with a separate kitchen can be found for between $900 and $950. Are you renting a room in someone else's apartment?

I have a friend who moved into a one bedroom at the last stop on the R line about a year ago for $1050 a month. You will be living in a closet and overpaying for the privilege. That's just nuts.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:46 PM

420 posts, read 805,108 times
I used to work at a clinic on Spring and Lafayette in SoHo while living on 79th and 4th Avenue in Bay Ridge. I would catch the R at 76th in Bay Ridge at exactly 6:15 AM, ride for a few stops to 59th, and then catch the N express to Canal Street. At Canal I would catch one of the green lines and get off at Spring Street. I would be at work at 6:55 AM.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
^^^^^ Ya,what is so great about a 140 sq ft studio for 850/mo? ..... in Bay Ridge yet ! Everyone smoking crack on here ? That's the size of a smallish bedroom,period, without a kitchen or bath.I don't even know how you can get a living area,a kitchen area , a bathroom and a closet into 140sq ft. Most studio apartments in the city are at least 400 sq ft.Yes,I know there are some smaller(especially in Manhattan), but most are larger .The studios in my building are over 500 sq ft !!

My bedroom is 20x15,more than twice the size of this whole apartment ???

Someone paying over 2,000/mo for a normal sized studio in Manhattan is getting a much better deal sq ft wise than this and they are in Manhattan.

Bay Ridge is nice but 850/mo for 140sq ft of space an hour from Manhattan is absurd.

Do not rent without seeing this place.Something is wrong.
"everybody smoking crack on here?" wow. well speaking for myself, that would be a no.

It depends on exactly what a person can afford. Suppose $850 is his or her max., and they happened to have found - yes, a very small apartment, but in a fairly nice neighborhood.
In addition, suppose the poster see's working in Manhattan as an investment, which it may well be. Or maybe even just to live in New York for a year, just because. If you can live in what may be a good building at one of the lowest rents in the city unless you have room mates, the fact is, if you're young, ready and able to do it for a year, this would be worth it, especially if the NY job likes you and you do well.

There is a building just off the 95th street train station that has a couple of tiny studio's, also 1 and 2 bedrooms. You know what my friend's rent is? $728. a month. To guess on his studio size, it's about maybe 12 x 12, and he has only been living there for a little over a year.
Such apartments are out there. If they suit what you can pay for right now, if it is safe, if you keep your mindset on how you can move forward into the future, in a much better living situation, working hard at it, then it can an important decision to take that tiny place.

crack? well, that's just sad that that's how a question has to be phrased isn't it?, so I wanted to respond.

MSUgrad, something may well "be wrong" with the place, which is why it's so important to get as much info as possible. Ideally if you can visit it would be just about a must to do that if you can.

Last edited by nyfreesia; 03-16-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 07:45 PM

There are plenty of real studio apartments(300 or 400 sq ft) in Bay Ridge for 800 to 900/mo.It has nothing to do with the rent or the location.There is no need for the OP to confine herself to 140 sq ft even if she can only afford 850/mo.And I happen to like Bay Ridge ...a lot.
Do you realize how small 140 Sq ft actually is ?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 PM

bluedog2, of course I do.
I have lived in Bay Ridge for 51 years until last year when I moved to westchester, and am looking forward to moving back. Yes, there are studios that are bigger, but for reasons the op has gone over in one way or another, this is the one he or she asked about.
By the way, the square footage is not necessarily a measure of the best apartment.
True, I would not like a 10 x 14 apt. But at maybe 22,23 years of age, I would have had no problemo living in a tiny place, and did so with gusto and vision.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
bluedog2, of course I do.
I have lived in Bay Ridge for 51 years until last year when I moved to westchester, and am looking forward to moving back. Yes, there are studios that are bigger, but for reasons the op has gone over in one way or another, this is the one he or she asked about.
By the way, the square footage is not necessarily a measure of the best apartment.
True, I would not like a 10 x 14 apt. But at maybe 22,23 years of age, I would have had no problemo living in a tiny place, and did so with gusto and vision.
It sounded to me that the OP was very unfamiliar with NYC,Bay Ridge,the location,the building and the apartment.It sounded like another of the many posters on this forum who rent unseen apartments in unseen neighborhoods. I think she should at least know that it is not a usual size apartment and that she could easily find much more space in a very decent building in the same neighborhood.I have friends who have very nice apartment that is 5 times the size of the one in question , in Bay Ridge and the rent is inly 950.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City