Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM

319 posts, read 494,014 times

Advertisements

NYC's Subway infrastructure pales in comparison to most, if not all, other huge world cities. Has anybody taken San Francisco's "BART" system? Wow, amazing. Comfortable seating, everything nice and clean. No rats. No roaches. No dirt. No soot all over the platform walls. No stench of **** when you're waiting for your train. It's wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmos View Post
Is London's really older than new Yorks?

London's subway seems to be built from tunnelling technology, which I believe is the basis for modern subways.

Our subway system does not look like a tube, but more as an underground reail. I thought the reason was because of the oldness of the subway itself, and that when it was constructed, tube-like tunneling was not invented then.
Some NYC station have the tube look. They are usually located at the first/last stops in Manhattan and Brooklyn. York St. on the F, High St. and Broadway-Nassau on the A/C are only a handful of stations that have such look. Another one that's not in that area and has that look is Roosevelt Island station.

Welcome to www.nycsubway.org A buff site that has possibly every single photo, past and present, of the NYC system, plus more.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Who else likes London's tube subway stations? I love the design. A simple tube, gets the job done.

That should have been the way NYC's stations look. Also they should get rid of turnstyles completely and just use the revolving iron doors. That will elliminate most fare beaters (well now someone will have to pay if they want to double up). The emergency doors are enough to get out.

The reason they don't get rid of the turnstyles is money. People jump it and the city makes cash off summons.

The safety hazard of not being able to get in can be simply solved by having someone in the token booth at all times. One button will let you go through or open the gate.

These are the doors i'm talking about:

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/facts/images/subway_turnstiles.jpg (broken link)

And the doors are enough to get out:

I think this is the plan though. However MTA wanted to remove the booths completly from some stations. That can be a problem.

Last edited by Hustla718; 07-27-2007 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 AM

842 posts, read 4,309,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I think this is the plan though. However MTA wanted to remove the booths completly from some stations. That can be a problem.
Why in hell would they want to remove the booths from ANY station? Every station should have a 24 hour serviced booth. period

Old 07-28-2007, 02:57 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Why in hell would they want to remove the booths from ANY station? Every station should have a 24 hour serviced booth. period
Save money.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
In spite of the endless complaining, the fact is that there isn't another subway system anywhere in the world like New York's. For instance, no other city (not even London) has a system that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

It is also true--and somewhat surprising--that New York has the only subway in the world with four-track layouts, meaning that it can run uptown and downtown expresses and locals simultaneously. There have been more than a hundred subways built since ours opened in 1904, and not a single one of them has been built with a four-track layout.

If the subways here are filthy, you can't put all the blame on MTA. Many of the passengers are simply pigs, and can't be bothered to take their trash and put it where it belongs.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:14 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
In spite of the endless complaining, the fact is that there isn't another subway system anywhere in the world like New York's. For instance, no other city (not even London) has a system that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

It is also true--and somewhat surprising--that New York has the only subway in the world with four-track layouts, meaning that it can run uptown and downtown expresses and locals simultaneously. There have been more than a hundred subways built since ours opened in 1904, and not a single one of them has been built with a four-track layout.

If the subways here are filthy, you can't put all the blame on MTA. Many of the passengers are simply pigs, and can't be bothered to take their trash and put it where it belongs.
That may be true, but it's the janitor's job to clean up, and the MTA definitely needs to do something to make the subway look more attractive.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
how bout not having every train i ride at any hour of the day not slow down when it's not supposed to? i was on the four train yesterday to yankee stadium and it just crawled from 86th to 125th street and this was at 11:30 AM

Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I hope you'll pardon me for saying so, but a lot of passengers on the subway have no idea what's going on. I happen to be employed by MTA as a tower operator (we're the people who actually run the railroad, not the suits and ties) and you can believe me when I tell you: there's always a reason for trains not moving as fast as everyone would like them to.

In the case of that #4 train, there was probably another one just ahead of yours. The trains are supposed to be evenly spaced, but there are any number of reasons why they don't run that way. (Passengers holding the doors messes up service more than you might imagine!)

Old 06-06-2008, 12:23 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I hope you'll pardon me for saying so, but a lot of passengers on the subway have no idea what's going on. I happen to be employed by MTA as a tower operator (we're the people who actually run the railroad, not the suits and ties) and you can believe me when I tell you: there's always a reason for trains not moving as fast as everyone would like them to.

In the case of that #4 train, there was probably another one just ahead of yours. The trains are supposed to be evenly spaced, but there are any number of reasons why they don't run that way. (Passengers holding the doors messes up service more than you might imagine!)
Thanks for clearing that up. I figured it's someone holding the doors when they shouldn't might be among the causes. That seems to happen more frequently than I can ever remember now. It seems to happen at every stop on many trains.

But that being said, I can't see how that would cause a late night E train sitting in the fifth avenue stop for 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City