U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM

19 posts, read 28,595 times

Advertisements

So I have a job offer to work in NYC and I'm trying to figure out a place to live. I have been to NYC many times to visit but I don't really know NYC (neighborhoods etc.)... aside from the tourist stuff. So any help would be helpful.

I think the neighborhood I am going to work in is Little Italy/Chinatown (Worth/Broadway). am I correct?

I have been looking through craigslist and I feel a bit overwelmed and I am unsure where I should live. So I figured I would come here and see if I can get suggestions.

So basically I want a one bedroom or studio.. I don't really want to have a roommate (I have lived by myself for about 6 years now.. so I'm very used to it), want to spend at most $1300 a month, near a subway stop (especially late at night and perhaps up to an hour to Worth/Broadway in Manhattan)

I already know I can't really live in Manhattan with that price and wanting to live alone. So I am looking at the map, I think it is best for me to live in Brooklyn since it's the closest to my workplace? If so, what neighborhoods in Brooklyn should I look at? How about neighborhoods in Queens?

I'm starting to understand the concept of fee brokers. How much do they usually charge?

Last edited by pennywaltz; 03-16-2011 at 04:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:38 PM

37,455 posts, read 37,757,099 times
First of all, you need to let us know your monthly rent budget and what size apt. you are looking for.
Most brokers charge 15% of the annual rent, but there are some that charge the equivalent of one month's rent. Keep in mind that when you sign a contract you also need to pay the first month's rent plus one month's security deposit besides the broker's fee.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM

19 posts, read 28,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
First of all, you need to let us know your monthly rent budget and what size apt. you are looking for.
Most brokers charge 15% of the annual rent, but there are some that charge the equivalent of one month's rent. Keep in mind that when you sign a contract you also need to pay the first month's rent plus one month's security deposit besides the broker's fee.
My monthly budget is $1300 for rent. I am looking for a 1 bedroom/studio.

Yeah I do understand that up front is usually 1st month and security deposit. For brokers who charge 15% of annual rent, would that be paid upfront or is it it like a payment plan?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,048,804 times
Try searching for apartments in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn. It's a nice neighborhood with Victorian homes and apartment buildings; kind of on the quiet side. If you get a place near one of the B/Q train stops, you should have a decent commute to work. You would get off at Canal St.

You can search the train schedules on the mta.info site and use the trip advisor to get an estimate on times. I believe the time on the train is about 25 minutes. Look near the Cortelyou Rd b/Q subway or the Newkirk stop, one stop further out.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM

28,373 posts, read 40,975,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywaltz View Post
So I have a job offer to work in NYC and I'm trying to figure out a place to live. I have been to NYC many times to visit but I don't really know NYC (neighborhoods etc.)... aside from the tourist stuff. So any help would be helpful.

I think the neighborhood I am going to work in is Little Italy/Chinatown (Worth/Broadway). am I correct?

I have been looking through craigslist and I feel a bit overwelmed and I am unsure where I should live. So I figured I would come here and see if I can get suggestions.

So basically I want a one bedroom or studio.. I don't really want to have a roommate (I have lived by myself for about 6 years now.. so I'm very used to it), want to spend at most $1300 a month, near a subway stop (especially late at night and perhaps up to an hour to Worth/Broadway in Manhattan)

I already know I can't really live in Manhattan with that price and wanting to live alone. So I am looking at the map, I think it is best for me to live in Brooklyn since it's the closest to my workplace? If so, what neighborhoods in Brooklyn should I look at? How about neighborhoods in Queens?

I'm starting to understand the concept of fee brokers. How much do they usually charge?
Worth Street and Broadway is the borderline of Tribeca and Foley Square/Courthouse area.

You should try Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. 45 minutes to City Hall on the R train and Worth Street/Broadway is 6 blocks away from this train station. It's about a 7-10 minute walk. Bay Ridge has 1 bedroom apartments in the neighborhood of $1100-$1300, and it has relatively low crime for NYC standards.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 AM

37,455 posts, read 37,757,099 times
In Queens, I suggest you consider Rego Park which is probably approx. a 45-50 min. commute on the R train and is one of the safest neighborhoods in Queens. You might also want to consider Astoria which is slightly closer to Manhattan which is on the N line (which stops at the same place as the R in downtown Manhattan).

Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,456,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Worth Street and Broadway is the borderline of Tribeca and Foley Square/Courthouse area.

You should try Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. 45 minutes to City Hall on the R train and Worth Street/Broadway is 6 blocks away from this train station. It's about a 7-10 minute walk. Bay Ridge has 1 bedroom apartments in the neighborhood of $1100-$1300, and it has relatively low crime for NYC standards.
Thanks Seventh, this is exactly what I was going to suggest to the OP.

OP, I live in Bay Ridge and if I can help you in any way feel free to PM me. Like Seventh said for $1300 you will definitely do well in this neighborhood. Also, the 45 minute ride on the R train Seventh mentioned is from the end of the line here in Bay Ridge at 95th Street. If you were to rent somewhere a few stops up in the neighborhood you could actually trim a little more time off of that. All in all though, a 45 minute commute is very reasonable in my opinion.

Good Luck.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM

363 posts, read 475,633 times
I use to love Bayridge as a kid but it's changed drastically from then. It's still OK but you can tell it's on the decline.

Astoria/LIC are your best bets for a nice apt with good space and decent neighbourhood with close proximity to Manhattan.

I'd also suggest try Boreum Hill.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,456,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
I use to love Bayridge as a kid but it's changed drastically from then. It's still OK but you can tell it's on the decline.
I wouldn't say it's in decline but it definitely is in transition. I see many of the long time Italian and Irish residents decreasing and are being replaced by Russian immigrants and Asians. I have no problem with that.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:51 PM

9,021 posts, read 22,186,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
I use to love Bayridge as a kid but it's changed drastically from then. It's still OK but you can tell it's on the decline. ........
Declining ? This is just racist code for "less white".

Why is it that people who grew up in formerly almost exclusively white neighborhoods in NYC report that the neighborhood "is declining" when a look at the crime statistics shows otherwise ?

Bay Ridge is a great,vibrant neighborhood that is a lot more diverse than it was 20 or 30 year ago but it also is a lot safer and cleaner than it was then, so it is not declining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: