Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:11 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwpu View Post
i have lived here for alomst 2 years... i have a child and have never felt unsafe. my parents told me this area was really rough, but they can't believe how it's changed. there is a great pier at the end of my street (free out-door movies in the summer), every subway line 2-3 blocks away, central park 16 blocks away, many pre-war buildings, still reasonably priced... huge community feeling.. i'm not leaving for a while

What do you considered reasonably priced though? I would imagine over $2k right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM

49 posts, read 34,107 times
Unhappy No way Jose

The transvestite hookers who hang out in that very area don't want your baby. They might want your money, and many of them are there to support heavy meth habits. Don't expect them to discriminate between you and someone who is NOT buying diapers. And they are BIG guys, often steroid-freaks.

I myself am amazed that this stuff still goes on, but I am by 9th, very different.

arc

Old 08-12-2009, 01:16 PM
R32

31 posts, read 218,352 times
Nowhere in NYC is safe in the "middle of the night"

and if you're walking home late a lot from the C,E trains sooner or later you'll probably get robbed (that walk is long and lonely)

I don't know about that far uptown but I know in the 30s on 10th and 11th avenue used to be pretty shady but they've since turned many of the old parking lots into gigantic luxury condos and built up the waterfront.

I don't know how ideal it is to raise a child there but that's another story.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM

84 posts, read 283,898 times
It's safe. I lived on 50th and 11th. Just an annoying walk to the train. I noticed there are lots of Hispanics sitting out on stoops in Hell's Kitchen. I never knew it had such a high Hispanic population.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
It is much safer than 10/20/30 years ago.... That said, do not have $20 bills sticking out of your pockets, or scurry along the street in a tight dress and high heels clutching your purse while looking like a frightened woodland creature.

That generally does not help keep you safe!

The thnig to remember is that there are very few areas that are really dangerous in Manhattan anymore, but every so often a train does jump the tracks. Key is to limit the time you spend walking next to them.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM

171 posts, read 692,304 times
I'm just lurking and I have a question. I have heard a lot about Hell's Kitchen but where is this at? It sounds like a decent place. Just wondering.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:15 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha43055 View Post
I'm just lurking and I have a question. I have heard a lot about Hell's Kitchen but where is this at? It sounds like a decent place. Just wondering.
Hell's Kitchen has a "checkered past," and used to be a really rough neighborhood. It was home to Irish gangs and a lot of crime and violence. However, it's made a major turnaround and is now considered a desirable area. The boundaries, per Wikipedia, are roughly 34th Street on the south to 59th Street on the north, and 8th Avenue to the east and the Hudson River to the west.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:52 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWS Cowboy View Post
It's safe. I lived on 50th and 11th. Just an annoying walk to the train. I noticed there are lots of Hispanics sitting out on stoops in Hell's Kitchen. I never knew it had such a high Hispanic population.
It has been that way ( a substantial Hispanic population) since the 1950s. The musical " West Side Story " was based on the tensions between white and Latino youths in HK and the movie came out in 1962.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default yeah 49th and 11th

strikes me as more desolate and barren than actually dangerous.You've got the Skyline Hotel over on 49th and 10th. I would feel more comfortable living east of 10th Avenue. Nothing today even comes close to what HK was like decades ago. I recall walking really fast thru some of those streets back then to dodge all the characters. And seeing derelicts, junkies and hookers sitting on stoops of SRO's and transient hotels (one in particular was the site of the old Biltmore Property) made one's stomach turn

Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 PM

142 posts, read 505,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwpu View Post
i have lived here for alomst 2 years... i have a child and have never felt unsafe. my parents told me this area was really rough, but they can't believe how it's changed. there is a great pier at the end of my street (free out-door movies in the summer), every subway line 2-3 blocks away, central park 16 blocks away, many pre-war buildings, still reasonably priced... huge community feeling.. i'm not leaving for a while
In the 15 years I've lived here, there's been a HUGE change in Hell's Kitchen. I'd live there in a minute now whereas it used to be very bleak and desolate. I don't know anything about 11th avenue though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City