Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM

14 posts, read 82,928 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Rock for 6-7yrs now; at Wave Crest mostly having recently moved to Beach Channel Dr. and it is really not that bad like everyone says it is. My two favorite things about this place: low rent and everyone here works. It's definitely the hood, I won't lie and tell you I that I haven't seen illegal activity in certain places, but for the most part I have no complaints. I come home at all hours of the night and have never had anyone mess with me (a 5'4" chump change black girl lol). But then again I'm young with no kids so, I don't mind living in the hood as long as it's cheap and clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:41 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
thanks for the post....wavecrest really isnt a bad area....i think you get plenty of bang for your buck when it comes to renting an apartment there. as a lifetime resident, i plan to buy my house out there when i'm ready because i'm very comfortable with the neighborhood. most of the time when there's people hanging out outside, i know all of them anyway so no problems for me.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:52 PM

11 posts, read 93,730 times
First of all,you guys are totally wrong ,when was the last time anyone that you know actually went shopping in Far Rockaway,there is nothing there,its all about the Five Towns,ofcourse its connected ,you never heard of West Lawrence ,part of Far Rockaway,go east of Beach9& tell me if that does not look like `any upper middle class area of Nassau ,Ethnicly as well.People always say Far Rockaway ,five towns Together.Same shopping ,same synagogues,churces & same private schools.As far as Freeport /Merrick ,or Garden City/Hempstead,same situation applys,the dowtown sections of Hempstead & Freeport is trash as is Far Rockaway,except far Rockaway atleast has an excuse its part of Queens ,N.Y.C.& has the most famous N.Y.C. subway end its run from close to the bronx to far Rock. Hempstead,Freeport has no excuse to be the slum of Nassau County.Now that I was able to elaborate you will understand the significance of Far Rockaway/Lawrence.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,529 times
Far Rockaway is the healthiest place to live and safest right now. If you don't believe me ask the jewish community moving in. The less poluted area while still providing access to anywhere in NY Through public transportation, even direct drop off to the airport by subway. You can get anywhere, just park your car. the water is cleaner compare to anywhere else in NY and Long Island put to gether. Jone's beach and the Amptons cannot compare to the quality of the sea water due to the movement of the currents. You guys are talking about crime, you have no idea of what's going on. The only reason they amped out the crime rate, was in order to decrease property value and drive out the unsuspecting middleclass black. Personaly I know a dude that sold 4 houses and a building to move to florida only to get hit by a huricane. He is going nuts, because right now the average 3 bdrms one family house anywhere in Far Rockaway is going for no less than $525000. I know because I'm affiliated with a realtor. People are moving out of the city and long Island to get a beachfront view of a better life in Far Rockaway.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 AM

12 posts, read 68,265 times
excuse me for being stupid, but since I don't know the area, what is the five towns area

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
five towns are an area directly east of far rockaway, in nassau county.

the 5 towns are made up of 5 towns! (not trying to sound sarcastic)

they are lawrence, woodmere, cedarhurst, hewlett and inwood.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-17-2008, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 93,730 times
You have a N.Y.C. subway train that comes & goes every few minutes from as far as the Bronx ,speeding through Manhattan ,express through central Brooklyn & ending up in Southeast Queens.Hempstead & Freeport are still further out so ofcourse its not as populated.Still as I said as far as proximity to Brooklyn ,other parts of Queens & Manhattan & throw in Suburban living,Far Rockaway-Five Towns wins.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
If a student (14 to 17 years old) was to travel from Broadway Junction (Brooklyn) to Beach 25th Street Station (riding the "A" train) during the morning rush hour (8:00 to 9:00 a.m.) and return to Broadway Junction between 4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., how safe is train for the students at those times and at the 25th Street station (they would have to wait at the 25th Street Station to be picked-up)?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
The train itself during rush hour should be OK, but waiting around to be picked up near the Far Rockaway station is kind of iffy, especially after dark and if you are by yourself. It would be safer is you had someone to wait with you and hopefully you won't have to wait for your ride for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City