Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 PM

11 posts, read 93,708 times

Advertisements

First of all the area surronding st ,johns shospital is a mixture of middle class blacks & whites.The area that you are refering to that is jewish is a totally seperate area near the Nassau county line ,yes it is a very large area`;but it basically stops on beach 9 street west ,east it is the entire Five Towns that is jewish ,not all religious but jewish upper class with homes costing several million.the jewish people living around the hospital are not orthodox ,they are mostly seniors that live in the Jasa buildings & russian jews & non jews.The orthodox community does have a large school in the area ,however most of the orthodox community is east of Beach 9 street.If you need an apartment near the hospital ,you cannot beat the price structure of many apartments ,however I believe that is changing as artists ,russians & orthodox are beginning to take advantage of that & are buying up property significantly.The Far Rockaway Five Towns community is one of the most exclusive & desirable places to live ,with close proximity to JFK,Brooklyn,other parts of Queens & Long Island.Long Island Rail Road & NYC Subway.Atlantic Ocean,Atlantic Beach Boardwalk,Long Beach,Central ave Fine Dinning .Italian ,Chinese & Top of the Line Steak houses,Not far from the exclusive North Shore.40 minute drive to midtown manhattan ,30 minutes in no traffic,& the best of all the best air quality in New york city & nassau county.I would give my best reference to the girl that would like to move to the New Sand Castle East of B.9 street.Remember that side of town is more Nassau County than NYC,with NYC taxes & rentals.You get the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 04:59 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,194 times
Aren't there co-ops in that area?

I don't think it's the lowest income or highest crime area.

I also don't think hospital staff is overly concerned with a criminal element.

Personally, I don't care for Far Rockaway, never did simply because it's too far out of the loop of my Queens
places to go, but inasmuch as there are seedy areas, there are actually very nice homes in Far Rockaway.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,214 times
Yes, there a few pockets of very nice homes. Actually Bayswater has some actual mansions that overlook the east end of Jamaica bay and a couple have some interesting history. Unfortunately, many of them have fallen into disrepair and the area is surrounded by some unsavory neighborhoods. Like Randy said, the area east of Beach 9 St has some very nice blocks, but they are being bought up by orthodox Jews. Personally, I never felt very welcomed in that neighborhood.

Far Rockaway will never flourish until the public transportation situation is addressed. The housing slump has slowed down the growth tremendously in Far Rock. This is a good thing since the peninsula's infrastructure could not support all the development.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
the area east of beach 9th is very exclusive....streets like elmira avenue, reads lane, cedar hill road, almont road, have million dollar homes. the streets dont even have sidewalks over there.....real suburban living.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-08-2018 at 10:32 AM..

Old 12-28-2007, 11:05 PM

4 posts, read 35,021 times
Default Randy Get a Clue!

First of all to say that most people who live in the
beach teen streets (all streets from BEACH 12th and west of Beach 12th) of Rockaway are middle class is ridiculous. You ever been there buddy?
The 101st Precinct on Nameoke is bustling with crime. There are drug corners on every other block and once again a hospital (Peninsula) which is better to be inside of than out. Do some research or visit the place before coming off like a jack ass.
As far as Lynbrook being TACKY and Lawrence not being tacky? You must be from outerspace. Lynbrook is one of the nicest "blue collar" neighborhoods around. Check yourself buddy cause you already wrecked yourself on here. lol

Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnyra View Post
First of all to say that most people who live in the
beach teen streets (all streets from BEACH 12th and west of Beach 12th) of Rockaway are middle class is ridiculous. You ever been there buddy?
The 101st Precinct on Nameoke is bustling with crime. There are drug corners on every other block and once again a hospital (Peninsula) which is better to be inside of than out. Do some research or visit the place before coming off like a jack ass.
As far as Lynbrook being TACKY and Lawrence not being tacky? You must be from outerspace. Lynbrook is one of the nicest "blue collar" neighborhoods around. Check yourself buddy cause you already wrecked yourself on here. lol
the streets west of beach 12th street are middle class. the more exclusive homes start mostly east of beach 9th. There's not drug dealers on every corner but I would say that its one of the busier precincts in Queens due to the large amount of public housing. i don't know about calling a place tacky, but i do know Lawrence is an expensive upper class neighborhood and i would say Lynbrook is not as wealthy. to me, lynbrook is middle class and upper middle class.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:15 PM

235 posts, read 1,085,684 times
Quote:
My intention is not to offend anyone ,but you as well as I know that you would not be asking the same question about ,bay ridge or Forest hills
Of course you wouldn't, b/c those areas are MUCH safer than Far Rock. I don't care what color you are, Far Rock has MORE than it's fair share of murders, and I don't think the criminals there care one bit what race their victims are.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 PM

11 posts, read 93,708 times
If someone has an interest to move to the Five town area`,whether its Lawrence or The queens side West Lawrence ,where this person showed an interest,Sand Castle is East of B.9 street,it usually shows`that they want to be in an upscale area,therefore I mentioned that yes they would consider Lynbrook tacky,with someone here admitting that it was a Blue Collar area.Lawrence or West Lawrence which is part of Far Rockaway are`all upscale areas that provide all the amenities of suburban living on the New york city border.Where else do you have a direct NYC Subway to an upscale suburban area.As far as west of B12 being a drug infested area I cannot disagree with you more.You have certain areas that are problematic,but you stay away from that area ,you do not have to go there ,I am refering to the one housing project in the area ,Redfern ,which is on the other side of the tracks on the Inwood Border & no one in their right mind goes near there.Any time you have a very exclusive area you have an area nearby that is not.merrick,Feeport is one example,Garden City ,Hempstead is another,& Upper East Side ,Harlem is yet another.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM

My God Randy SHUT UP! How can you say Lawrence is part of Far Rock. Far Rockaway is Queens and Lawrence is Nassau County. Right there your point is void and you have also destroyed any credibility you might have had.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Also you can not compare Merrick/Freeport to Lawrence/Rockaway. Freeport isn't nearly as bad as Rockaway. not even North Main St. Merrcik isn't as ritzy as Lawrence. As far as Hempstead goes there is only one block in the entire town I would hesitate walking down and that's Terrace Ave. Yes it runs frightening close to Garden City but still, not close in comparison to Far Rock/Lawrence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City