Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For those who have been jobless for 30 days or more. Which category do you fall under? (results are
I am unemployed or severely under employed and have my G.E.D. or high school diploma, 8 7.69%
I am unemployed or severly under employed and I have an Associates Degree 7 6.73%
I am unemployed or severely underemployed and I have a Bachelors or Masters Degree 51 49.04%
I am employed full-time and being paid within 10% of what the expected salary is for my position. 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My friend is an admin asst--she used to work with me in the city, then took a few years off to stay home with her kids. Got divorced, found a job with Rutgers under a grant program, but the grant was cut and she lost her job. It took her a year to find something, and she was looking in Manhattan as well as in NJ, but she finally got a job with a French company in Jersey that makes boxes for jewelry. Paid $35K, but she took it because she was desperate. The boss told her that after three months she would be eligible for an increase. Meanwhile, she had to do a lot of non-admin jobs, like clean the fountain in their lobby, but she stuck to it. Thursday was her three-month review. She went in armed with documentation on how she had negotiated cleaning and furniture contracts, saving the company money, etc., in order to bolster her request for a raise. Her boss went through her review and told her what a great job she did and then finished by saying, "But by asking for more money, you are disparaging this company. Today is your last day."

I really do hope you and others hold out for what you are worth. And I hope these sleazy employers get back on themselves what they are doing to good people.
That sucks! I feel so bad for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
I'll tell ya something. I made $13,400 one year, because I took time off personal reasons, was doing babysitting/housecleaning and had a fiance to support me. I still hardly got that much from financial aid for my college tuition, but something is better than nothing right?

Additionally, I don't think you will qualify for FA with a 2nd BA. I'm pretty sure, but just look it up...and I also don't think it's going to help you out. Trust me. I worked in an agency and if your goal is admin. asst. then you're going to be way overqualified. I felt bad for the MBA grads as they had the WORST time gaining meaningful employment. It almost reminds me of the Goldilocks and the 3 Bears story...employers want their porridge not too cold (GED/HS Diploma applicant), not too hot (MBA grad), but jussssssstttt right (4-year degree applicant).
I want to get out of the AA track I'm stuck in. Also, when I recover financially, I'd like to start my own business, if I can get the financing one day. Hence, the business degree. I don't think I'll be able to do it though. I don't expect to be able to get grants, but I won't know until I try.

I still have some hope though. If I can get a good job again, I'll be able to pay for it myself or save for the business, so I'm not giving up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 7,650 times
Quote:
Ohhh I see. I was going to tell you to move if you could.
What kind of jobs are you open to?
I have a degree in Marketing, so something with account management or maybe a business analyst. Realistically,....Admin Assist. I'm one of those "desperate" for a job because I have my loan and CC so I don't mind taking a crappy temp job for the time being.

It kind of goes against the point of this thread, lol. However, I'm willing to do it on a temporary basis only.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:03 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times
If anyone is interested in moving, check out the Chicago job market. It isn't dramatically better than NYC, but you can get by on a much lower salary of course. The rents are often less than half of what you'd pay in NYC. The public transit costs are also lower. And the tax burden for most people is 27%, not 34%. If you have no car and live with roommates you can live there dirt-cheap.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Update: Things are sloooooooooooooowly starting to look up, but still NO WHERE near as good as they were pre-2008.

I'm to the point where I really don't feel sorry for the people who continue to stay here that aren't bound to anything, because believe me..I'd be outta here if I could be. I have said it a million times. Unfortunately, I *have* to make do with my NYC situation. Other people stick around like an abused girlfriend. tsk tsk

Old 05-25-2011, 11:14 AM

129 posts, read 250,247 times
The wages in this city are pitiful.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calispartan View Post
The wages in this city are pitiful.
They aren't just a little bad either..they're REALLY bad. So many pathetic minded individuals are SO desperate to live here that they're ok with making 35-45k/year and living like paupers. This sets the standard of living lower for everyone..and it's not like these million dollar companies cannot afford to pay an extra 10k/year. TRUST ME.

The novelty generally wears off and back the groupies go.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
Quote:
They aren't just a little bad either..they're REALLY bad. So many pathetic minded individuals are SO desperate to live here that they're ok with making 35-45k/year and living like paupers. This sets the standard of living lower for everyone..and it's not like these million dollar companies cannot afford to pay an extra 10k/year. TRUST ME.

and they're in denial .. meaning they think living with 3-4 other young ppl is cool but deep down they know it's not true

and the cycle repeats... and repeats. wash, rinse, repeat

(colors above match the quoted passage)

Old 05-25-2011, 01:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
You guy's act like it's all big bad NYC's fault the labor market sucks and wages are down, as if it should somehow be immune to the macroeconomic plight gripping the rest of the country. Got news, it ain't all pinochle and pasta anywhere else in the country either.

Nothing you can do now but hate the game of corruption and capitalism and the insane direction it's drifted our country the past couple of decades. Sure gets me mad too, but us little guys just get to deal with the consequences and the mess. Life sucks.

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 05-25-2011 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
and they're in denial .. meaning they think living with 3-4 other young ppl is cool but deep down they know it's not true

and the cycle repeats... and repeats. wash, rinse, repeat

(colors above match the quoted passage)
As far I'm concerned, you either know these things going in and accept it and try anyway, or you don't move to New York at all. This dichotomy has always existed. You can have your own apartment in a relatively boring city on an entry level salary or you can give up some of the autonomy for a more exciting place to live. You makes your choices.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:12 PM

LOL I agree with grimace..and the rest of you! Yes, I realize this. I'm venting. Unfortunately I am obligated to stay in NYC for a few more years at the least due to some personal stuff. My guy has a full scholarship to NYU..for one..and we also have some ties here that need to be taken care of. We'd be stupid to move. Still doesn't mean I gotta like it! GRRRR lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City